Funeral Directors Need Armed Guards

This is a discussion on Funeral Directors Need Armed Guards within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Taken from another forum - credits to the OP. I'm disturbed and perturbed. Last week a Wall Street Journal article had me shaking my head. ...

Thread: Funeral Directors Need Armed Guards

Taken from another forum - credits to the OP.

I'm disturbed and perturbed. Last week a Wall Street Journal article had me shaking my head. It's an unbelievable situation. WSJ reporter Gary Fields, writing out of Cincinnati, Ohio, told the story of black funeral directors who are at risk while doing their jobs of burying the dearly departed.
    Come on, I said, as I read the "Violence roils black funeral parlors" headline. These funeral directors are worried, not about the dead, but those left living. Many have had to spend thousands of dollars to add security measures because killing a family's loved one is not enough for some.
    There was a time, not too long ago, that even warring gangs would call a truce when a gang-banger bit the dust. No more. Funeral directors have watched as family grieving is interrupted by gunfire. The last thing you would expect to see before a funeral is the staff conducting a security briefing, but some funeral homes have had to install panic buttons to lock down their facilities when trouble occurs.
    Fields tells the story of funeral home director Clarence Glover, who said, "I've been in this business 42 years and I'm jittery now."
    There was a time, again, not too long ago, where the only ill words one would hear during a funeral came from ex-and-current spouses of the deceased, or from one of the baby's daddy's unrecognized babies.
    This new phenomenon is an outgrowth of the high murder rate in the African-American community. It would stand to reason that those who show no respect for the living would also have no respect for the dead.
    Between 2004 and 2006 the black murder rate increased 11 percent, according to the FBI. Though African Americans comprise only 13 percent of the population, more blacks die at the hands of others than whites.
    Funeral directors have had to make bold moves. Some carry concealed weapons. Others hire extra security. They have to. Can you believe that funeral processions have been attacked in route to cemeteries?
    There have been efforts not to publicize a murder victim's wake or funeral, but even with those precautions things can get out of hand. Funeral directors have been attacked by unruly mourners and those not so mournful.
    It's not just a Cincinnati thing. Fields tells of funeral directors working with the Los Angeles Police Department on procession routes. They collaborate to make sure murdered rivals don't end up having graveside services at the same time at the same cemetery. The processions also avoid gang territories.
    What is this world coming to?
    It's really pretty simple. We have raised a couple of generations of moral degenerates. They don't respect themselves and they don't respect others. Their families are all tied up in colors and signs. They wouldn't understand real love if it slapped them in the face.
    I'm not one who can stop and look in their histories to find excuses for their behaviors. Yes, society played a role, but dysfunctional parents (most of the time, "parent") are responsible for dysfunctional children.
    Unfortunately, some of these folks need to be thrown in prison for the rest of their lives. I know it's going to cost us about $17,000 a year (in Georgia) to keep them there, but it sure beats the alternative.
    The black community needs to check itself, and that goes for Middle Georgia, too. We've had several instances of thugs shooting into homes without regard to who's inside. We've had a mother killed, and a guy last week, shot to death watching March Madness when masked men barged into a home shooting. They probably didn't even know him.
    It takes a pretty callous person to open fire not knowing or caring who the bullets might find. It's also a sign of a coward.
    We all need to be vigilant. There are signs early on that a child is growing up rudderless, and it will take a committed community to turn these malcontents around before they grow up to threaten, not only morticians, but everything they encounter. Everything like us.
    Charles E. Richardson's columns appear Tuesdays and Sundays. He can be reached at crichardson@macontel.com or (478) 744-4342

I posted this here because it really has to do with self defense. If this is the wrong place, tell me. (I'm sure ya'll will.)

Violence is a festering sore on the butt of our society. It must be fixed one person at a time.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Senior Moderator
    It must be fixed one person at a time.
    Yep. It must be done permanantly with scuzballs like that. Its the only way to stop that nonsense.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    We have allowed it to get out of hand and before we know it, our country will be turned into a 3rd world country too. A lot of our cities already have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    We have allowed it to get out of hand and before we know it, our country will be turned into a 3rd world country too. A lot of our cities already have
    Yep...and it aint getting any better.

One of the reasons for the popularity of forums such as this....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yep...and it aint getting any better.

One of the reasons for the popularity of forums such as this....
    +1 on all of the above posts.
    We need to get a hardline president and congress that can and will fix these issues. Not by creating dumb laws that restrict our rights as law abiding citizens.

I really should post my bio on the welcome forum so that I can show how I got this place. I wish I could explain how sick of hearing about gangs and illegal alien violence - and other crimes.

Although I work in a fairly peaceful rural area school...I see this attitude every day.
    Many students are great kids and many are something else. Some have no concern for their fellow man, have no morals, no conscience, no work ethic, and couldn't tell the truth from a lie in most matters.

It's a sad commentary for the future of our youth. We don't have a 'gang' problem, but every once in a while a 'gang' affiliated dirtbag moves in...they don't last long. The last one I remember is now in jail for murder (didn't happen in school, but 5 high school students were involved...5 lives ruined forever).

SIXTO is entirely correct, our country is in deep trouble. Unless our politicians decide to crack down on crime...we all know that isn't going to happen...we will be attempting to exist in 'third world' type cities.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This makes me really sad, as a Black person in America.

The as stated notations toward crime stats are though correct.
    And people wonder why I carry anywhere, anytime, anyplace, every day.

For those curious the entirety of the WSJ article can be found reposted at; Green Change*:*Violence roils black funeral parlors

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I actually read that at the funeral for a dead gangbanger the rival gang showed up dumped the body on the ground in front of everybody and shot him again
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was listening to the radio today, and heard an african-american caller state that they received a bomb threat at his brother's funeral.
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

Senior Moderator
    I actually read that at the funeral for a dead gangbanger the rival gang showed up dumped the body on the ground in front of everybody and shot him again

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    Violence is a festering sore on the butt of our society. It must be fixed one person at a time.
    to quote uncle ted,

"I don't believe in repeat offenders, I believe in DEAD offenders."

I've met innumerable good, decent, loveable black people in my life. However, the truth of the matter is the black community has a BIG PROBLEM, and from my perspective they are NOT doing much about it.

Sponsored Links