Convenience store shooting video released-fatality

This is a discussion on Convenience store shooting video released-fatality within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; HeraldTribune.com - News - News stories about Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte counties in Florida, from the newspapers of record. - HeraldTribune.com Convenience store shooting video ...

Thread: Convenience store shooting video released-fatality

Question Convenience store shooting video released-fatality

HeraldTribune.com - News - News stories about Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte counties in Florida, from the newspapers of record. - HeraldTribune.com

Convenience store shooting video released
    STAFF REPORT
    Published Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.

The state attorney's office released a surveillance video from the Feb. 4 slaying of John "Teko" Howard at a convenience store in Sarasota.

The footage shows an argument and a struggle between two men, one of whom was fatally shot.

According to Herald-Tribune archives:

Police say Paul Kallenbach shot and killed Howard, 35, at the Kwik Stop convenience store on North Tamiami Trail about 9 p.m. Feb. 4.

While in the store, Kallenbach got into an argument with Howard, a felon who was released from prison last fall. It is unclear what the men were arguing about, but the confrontation quickly escalated and Kallenbach drew one of his guns on Howard, witnesses said.

Police say Howard, who stood 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighed 245 pounds, somehow managed to wrestle the weapon away from Kallenbach, who is 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighs 300 pounds.

During the fight several shots were fired and at least two people in the store ducked behind a counter.

After Kallenbach lost the gun he pulled out a second gun and started shooting at Howard, who fired back with the gun he had taken from Kallenbach, according to police.

Howard was shot in the torso and arm. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Kallenbach was shot twice in the shoulder area and leg. He was taken to Sarasota Memorial Hospital for his injuries, police said.
    Video in link.

Can't tell what was said to precipitate this, but the 'felon' appears to initiate the physical attack.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

WOW I wonder what the argument was about? Seemed to esqulate pertty quick.

That video is kind of sketchy and it's hard to tell what happened without the sound. All I know for sure is that Shepard was in over-drive!!! He would have bitten that other cop if he hadn't backed off!!
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

AEA
    Obviously a matter of "Disrespect" that turned into Murder.
    This "Disrespect" stuff is getting a lot of folks killed. When will they smarten up?

Looks to me like this could have started outside the store and then moved inside, then escalated after those two continued talking smack.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

"aye dogg, aye! yo you stepped on my sneaker!"
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

There is nothing like going to the local stop n rob late at night. I wonder how many other recently released felons like to shop there.

Don't know what was said before the struggle, but as I see it, the one who started the physical aggression paid the higher price. As it should be.

Rule 1: Bring a gun to a gunfight.

Rule 2: Don't share your gun with the other side during a gunfight.

If you didn't pay attention to Rule 2, then

Rule 3: Have a 2nd gun, and be a better shot than the one you shared your gun with.

looks to me like the big white guy pulled his gun and THEN the other guy jumped on him. the "felon" was trying to go out the door, saw that paul had drawn, and jumped on him to get the gun. but there's no telling what was said. i would say that it was an innapropriate use of deadly force (assuming i saw right and he had drawn before physical contact was made) because the "threat" was on his way out, UNLESS he was going out to bring some friends back in (it looks like that may have been the case, as the police arrested a second guy that looked to have no involvement in the shooting). the BG should have had the sense to run away when he did see the weapon, as he was on his way out the door anyway. i'm interested in hearing how the story develops and getting a play-by-play on what was actually said.

i'm also curious as to where paul went once the police were there?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Also shows that ain't no handgun round a death ray. The dude who died was up and walking around quite a while before he finally dropped, although fatally wounded and the other guy managed to take off.

A gun might not be enough!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

That was eerie! If not for his poor fashion sense (Green tank top and red shorts?) and the lack of tattoo on Kallenbach's shoulder I could pass for him!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

It's hard to tell what is going on in that video.

However, my gut feeling is that he shouldn't have drawn that weapon in the first place. He should've just let the other guy talk all the smack he wants.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    looks to me like the big white guy pulled his gun and THEN the other guy jumped on him.
    I watched it again, and maybe he did pull the gun before the physical confrontation. It's hard to tell, but it does look like Howard was reacting to what was in Kallenbach's hand rather than trying to attack Kallenbach.

If the gun was in the white thing in Kallenbach's hand, then he pulled it early. He may have even used the newspaper to cover himself drawing.

It looks like Howard did his share of jawing and pointing.

Both had ample opportunity to de-escalate and avoid a confrontation.

Links