Justified Homicides up by 50% in Memphis

This is a discussion on Justified Homicides up by 50% in Memphis within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Memphis, TN - More people in Memphis are shooting to kill in self-defense. Memphis police say the numbers of justified homicides has risen 50% in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justified Homicides up by 50% in Memphis

Justified Homicides up by 50% in Memphis

Memphis, TN - More people in Memphis are shooting to kill in self-defense. Memphis police say the numbers of justified homicides has risen 50% in 2008.

The most recent justified homicide happened early Tuesday morning. Police say a security guard shot and killed Andre McLaren, 38, outside Tony's Bar and Grill on South Mendenhall in Southeast Memphis Tuesday.

The security guard told police officers McLaren was driving towards him when he fired the shots. The Shelby County District Attorney’s office decided the guard was acting in self-defense Wednesday.

McLaren’s death marks the 10th time a homicide has been ruled justified in 2008. That number is double the number of homicides ruled justified from January 2007 to April 2007. At this time last year, only five homicides were determined to have been justified. 10 justified homicides is nearly as many justified homicides as in all of 2006. During that entire year, just 11 homicides were ruled justified.

“I think we've tried to put our thumb on it and really just can't, “ said Major Joe Scott of the Memphis Police Department. He said Memphis police officers are aware of the increase in justified homicides, but are unclear why they are on the rise. Major Scott said, “It is concerning over the last couple of years that we've had so many, but we really can't isolate it to the point where we feel like we could do anything preventive.”

Out of the 51 homicides in Memphis so far this year, most have been the result of domestic violence. However, with 10 ruled justified, police say about 20% of the city’s killings this year were committed in self defense or to protect another person’s life.

Major Scott said the increase could be tied to a recent rise in the number of people applying for and receiving handgun permits in Shelby County. He said the homicides are often similar to the incident at Tony’s Bar & Grill, in that a security guard is involved.

Major Scott also said the public should not worry killers are getting away with murder. He said homicide detectives thoroughly investigate every homicide in the city. He said self-defense is a common defense used by killers. More often than not, Major Scott said, self-defense does not hold up after detectives investigate a homicide. Major Scott said, “We have charged several individuals who have said they were acting in self-defense.”

However, the circumstances surrounding justified homicides can be murky. For example, the security guard at Tony’s Bar & Grill may have been able to run from the car driving towards him instead of choosing to fire his gun. However, Major Scott said the legal standard for a justified homicide is that a “reasonable, prudent person has fear for their own safety.” Major Scott said being in the path of an oncoming car legally qualifies as a valid reason to fear for your life.

It is up to the Shelby County District Attorney’s office to decided if a homicide is justified or if a crime was committed. Homicide detectives investigate their cases, then detectives present their evidence to prosecutors to make a determination about the natures of the homicides.

I say this is a good thing.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    50% sounds like a huge number, but when you look at the hard numbers, it really isnt a huge increase, just a few more incidents.

No matter how they spin it, it is a good thing IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

“I think we've tried to put our thumb on it and really just can't, “ said Major Joe Scott of the Memphis Police Department. He said Memphis police officers are aware of the increase in justified homicides, but are unclear why they are on the rise. Major Scott said, “It is concerning over the last couple of years that we've had so many, but we really can't isolate it to the point where we feel like we could do anything preventive.”
    I can put my thumb on it. People are sick and tired of being victims. Why do they feel like they they need to do anything preventive? I say do your job to the best of your ability, and the people will do theirs.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    50% sounds like a huge number, but when you look at the hard numbers, it really isn't a huge increase, just a few more incidents.

Yeah, that sounds like the sort of stat that the brady bunch would use.

"Gun Violence Up 50%"

oh, wait, only 5 more than last year...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Good news...and a mostly good article. Yea, an increase of 5 homicides does not have a big enough sample size to be a really useful statistic. This part confuses me though:

It is up to the Shelby County District Attorney’s office to decided if a homicide is justified or if a crime was committed.
    I think i know what they mean, but leaving the whole jury thing out is a pretty serious error. Maybe it should say, "it is up to the district attorney's office to decide to charge someone with a crime and take them to trial".
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    51 homicides this year. That is a scary number. Makes me glad to live in the area I do.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I say this is a good thing.
    Anytime someone halts an unjustifiable attack, it's a good thing.

Kudos to Memphis residents for finally saying enough is enough.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's very telling that they feel the increase in justified homicides is a problem. I predict a negative spin if the trend continues. Too bad, I agree with the rest of you, overall a good thing.

Major Scott said, “It is concerning over the last couple of years that we've had so many, but we really can't isolate it to the point where we feel like we could do anything preventive.”

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    50% sounds like a huge number, but when you look at the hard numbers, it really isnt a huge increase, just a few more incidents.

Agreed.

OMG 100%!!! increase!!!!

Last year Mayberry, N.C. had one justifiable homicide and now this year we have .....TWO!!!!

The real story here, and question, is not the increase in justifiable homicides by 50% but the increase in attacks on citizens by unlawful minded persons with clear criminal intent.

For example fault does not lie with the kid who fights back upon being punch in the gut during a schoolyard lunch money attack (strong arm robbery). Fault and wonder should be placed on the action, and/or increase of said actions, that result in as stated reaction of self defense.
    Rarely though does the media in specific get this.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Ummm, did this journalist ever take a math class?

Last year's number: 5. This year's number: 10. 10 is 5 + 5; that is a 100% increase, not a 50% increase. A 50% increase here would be 7.5 justifiable homicides in the same time period...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Yep ^^

Clearly this journalist, and from what I see most journalists, stopped taking math courses at a grade 7 or so level.
    Although don't they cover percentages in fifth or sixth grade? Atleast they did when I was in school...decades ago. :\

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yep ^^

Clearly this journalist, and from what I see most journalists, stopped taking math courses at a grade 7 or so level.
    Although don't they cover percentages in fifth or sixth grade? Atleast they did when I was in school...decades ago. :\

- Janq

Did any of them EVERY go to any kind of school... They never reseach anything, just take what is said to them by anti gun groups as facts. NEVER check to see if the statement is true, or even able to happen..... such as "assualt weapons main weapon of choice"....

Yet there are semi auto, which in it self keeps them from being a assualt weapon....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    It's very telling that they feel the increase in justified homicides is a problem. I predict a negative spin if the trend continues. Too bad, I agree with the rest of you, overall a good thing.
    The fact that our Police Chief does not want people to shoot the bad guys is telling in itself. Not listed in this article, but working for one of the TV news stations as I do I have heard this clown say countless things against private people carrying a gun for protection and for wanting to fight back against the thugs. He wants us to let the police handle it. Even though, Memphis has one of the worst police forces in the country.

I am glad the rest of the residents of Shelby County have seemingly decided that enough is enough.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Ummm, did this journalist ever take a math class?

Last year's number: 5. This year's number: 10. 10 is 5 + 5; that is a 100% increase, not a 50% increase. A 50% increase here would be 7.5 justifiable homicides in the same time period...
    Some amusing insights (unless your the victim) into the misuse of math.

Amazon.com: 200% of Nothing: An Eye Opening Tour Through the Twists and Turns of Math Abuse and Innumeracy: A. K. Dewdney: Books
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I want to see how many unjustified homicides there have been compared to last year. If the good guys keep winning like this then that number should definitely go down. It might take a while but the BGs will eventually get the message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links