SC Shooting near campus

This is a discussion on SC Shooting near campus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; CONWAY, S.C. Classes were canceled Monday at Coastal Carolina University and students were urged to stay indoors because of a fatal shooting near campus. ...

Thread: SC Shooting near campus

SC Shooting near campus

CONWAY, S.C. Classes were canceled Monday at Coastal Carolina University and students were urged to stay indoors because of a fatal shooting near campus.

It's not clear whether the victim was a student, university spokesman Doug Bell said.

The assailant has not been caught. "Because it is so close to campus and a good many students do live over there, we are taking precautions," Bell said.

Classes are canceled until 7 a.m. Tuesday. Students were urged to stay inside through a text message alert and a notice posted on the school Web site.

Instead of staying indoors, how about taking the day and doing the following:
    9am Purchasing a handgun (at least start the process).
    10:30 Signing up for a gun safety course.
    11:30 Petitioning for a CCW permit.
    1pm Sign up at the gun range (near campus).
    2:30 Find and joining a group that will work on CCW on campus.

Instead of cowering in fear that someone might not respect your right to an education.

*^%$# Sheeple administration

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    CONWAY, S.C. Classes were canceled Monday at Coastal Carolina University and students were urged to stay indoors because of a fatal shooting near campus.

It's not clear whether the victim was a student, university spokesman Doug Bell said.

The assailant has not been caught. "Because it is so close to campus and a good many students do live over there, we are taking precautions," Bell said.

Classes are canceled until 7 a.m. Tuesday. Students were urged to stay inside through a text message alert and a notice posted on the school Web site.

Instead of staying indoors, how about taking the day and doing the following:
    9am Purchasing a handgun (at least start the process).
    10:30 Signing up for a gun safety course.
    11:30 Petitioning for a CCW permit.
    1pm Sign up at the gun range (near campus).
    2:30 Find and joining a group that will work on CCW on campus.

Instead of cowering in fear that someone might not respect your right to an education.

Odd story to me. This is in a decent area off of Hwy 501 between Conway and Myrtle Beach. I still have family in that area.

Myrtle Beach is decent, but can get somewhat scary late at night with tourists. Conway is the county seat of Horry county, that is nothing but run down crack town that is a leach off the tax base of Myrtle Beach (retirees, tourists money and all that "accommodations tax" hotels and restaurants. ) I, myself, was never in Conway at night, as the difference was night and day.

Might be hard to solve a crime though, many there are committed by tourists, not the locals (not many residents in either city) but the summer months Myrtle Beach is busting at the seams.

Might go unsolved if the furthest the law enforcement got was "the victim MAY be a student". Not sure, but when I went to college I think they had a database of students.

I'll bet there are all sorts of businesses in the vicinity.....maybe they should all close down.......you know, just because......

Idiots.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I'll bet there are all sorts of businesses in the vicinity.....maybe they should all close down.......you know, just because......

Idiots.

You bet'ch.

That's a major route into the beach area. Shut it all down. Close the road. Why there could be families with kids raiding through that area.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I must have missed something. They cancelled classes even though they caught the shooter? And why should the students stay inside? To study?

VIP Member

Is there a tongue in cheek Smilie?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Close the road. Why there could be families with kids raiding through that area.
    Is there a tongue in cheek Smilie?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

This is the report of a shooting in the news that may be part of this story.

Arrest made in store killing

There is about one shooting a day in that area so unless it is very close to campus and indications that it may spill over onto the campus they usually don't worry about it. H-G Tech. College joins the Coalstal Car. campus so you really have two colleges right there together. As far as all sorts of businesses in the area you better believe it including manufacturing plants, golf courses and piles of homes.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post

Hummm...under current SC laws, by-laws...I think the administration took action.

Always amazes me...the VA tech admin takes massive hits (justifiably so) for taking no/late action...but when an administration takes action, within the state or by-laws that they are bound by...they get slammed for being "sheeple". I understand frustration and wanting to paint all with a broad brush, but I respectively disagree and think your views are misguided on a news story that leaves out the direction provided by state and school laws, then throwing spears at an administration that did something, albeit not to a complete level we all hope, but to the one that dictates their direction. Perhaps frustration should be directed not at the administration...but at the State.

Rick

Always amazes me...the VA tech admin takes massive hits (justifiably so) for taking no/late action...but when an administration takes action, within the state or by-laws that they are bound by...they get slammed for being "sheeple".
    I am not sure if it is the Internet or 24 hours news and sports or the economy or what but it seems that everyone now wants to complain about everyone and everything. No one can make the correct decision anymore just as you referenced the VT vs. this incident.

I used to love to go to college football games but any more I don't as there is always someone complaining about the coach, players, seats, food, weather or something. They are going to find something to complain about and make sure everyone knows it. Post on here that you have a certain gun and you immediatedly get 30 posts telling about how they hate that particular model. About the only thing you can get an agreement on with this board is that all politicians are crooked and power hungry, all LEO are idiots and on a power trip, anyone who doesn't sleep with a gun under their pillow is a sheeple and Ron Paul is a genius that will save teh country if only a few more people would open their eyes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    the VA tech admin takes massive hits (justifiably so) for taking no/late action...
    Not trying to hijack the thread -- but as it is about a shooting on or near a college, here goes.

As FN1910 implied, I too think there is far too much Monday morning quarterbacking, bobble headed commentators knowing more than some of the winningness coaches in history, and "analyst" telling everyone who just listened to a speech what the President/Candidate/etc just said/meant.

Heaven help you, if you make the wrong call when viewed with 20/20 hindsight.

Then there is the issue of "damned if you do & damned if you don't" regardless of the outcome. One college closes down and sends its student home on spring break days early because someone thought they saw someone with a gun. The Roanoke Time and other anti-gun papers play it up for days and applauded it as the right thing. Another college, locks down because a student makes-up a story about a gunman to shift the blame and avoid paying for a door he damaged. RT again approves of the lock-down. Another college, kicks a Vet, on the GI Bill, outs over a fiction story. Again the RT approves.

Well I don't. I think there is too much over-reaction. And too inconstant response.

If you are going to close down a college, send the student home, and flood the facility with over 300 LEOs because someone thought they saw someone with a gun, why are you not close down every mall and flood it with LEOs whenever someone thinks they see someone with a gun?

If you are going to set up road-blocks/close down roads around a school in one location why not the road to the beach in another.

If there are college kids at a beach and there is a shooting somewhere nearby, why not lock down the beach?

If you are going to kick a student out because of a fiction story, why not fire the writers of all the CSI/NCIS/Law & Order/shoot-em-up movies/etc?

Now back to bandit383's (justifiably so).

What action could have VT have taken that would not have lead to "massive hits"? What would have worked and not brought on criticism?

Allow student & staff with CHPs to protect themselves and others? I'd buy that. Doubt if the RT and the other antis would.

If you include the student as part of the "Institution" and had the students who complained gone on to press charges, so that LE could have done something based on cause, I buy that. I think most would. But no one talks about that.

If the professors who were afraid had worked with mental health and LE to do something, I buy that. I think most would.

If the State's mental health system (not VT itself) not been broke....

But what about the "cancel classes & lock-down" response to the first shooting, which seems to be what most Monday morning quarterback talk about? Would someone explain how it would have been a good thing to have locked the shooter in his residence hall with more than three times the number of unarmed victims than he had available when he locked down an academic hall, himself?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It used to amaze me but is so common now that it doesn't that you constantly have two people arguing over what something such as the Constitution plainly says and both adamantly calling each other idiots because they don't see it the same way.

I don't know what they could have done at VT and am not going to lambast the administration for not doing whatever it is that I may suggest that they should have done. It is the old story that I constantly hear about I can't tell you what I want but only what I don't want. Most people will tell you the hardest thing in the world it to prove a negative.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    But what about the "cancel classes & lock-down" response to the first shooting, which seems to be what most Monday morning quarterback talk about? Would someone explain how it would have been a good thing to have locked the shooter in his residence hall with more than three times the number of unarmed victims than he had available when he locked down an academic hall, himself?
    How about notification to students and instructors after the first shooting. There was no vigilance, no knowledge, no concern...would a lock down worked...we can arm chair guess...but it sure would of made it harder for the BG. Who knows, it may have prevented him walking into a classroom and shooting away (remember, after the first classroom shooting...someone blocked the door from him getting in to another classroom).

Regardless...a lock down is one avenue to help and definitely not the answer to fix everything. Reminds me of airports...when the something shows up in the bathroom inside security that's not suppose to be there...TSA locks the place down and rescreens everybody.

Until the States fix the laws and schools (Board of Regents) design by-laws that allows CCW...what would you propose the "administration" to do? Calling them sheeple is not the answer.

Rick

Links