BAD: Home Invasion/Murder In Groton, CT

This is a discussion on BAD: Home Invasion/Murder In Groton, CT within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - Two homicides in two days Groton (WTNH) _ Two murders in as many days has residents in Groton on ...

Thread: BAD: Home Invasion/Murder In Groton, CT

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - Two homicides in two days

Groton (WTNH) _ Two murders in as many days has residents in Groton on edge.

Police say Jose Cartagena, 36, was found dead near a car behind a Miami Court home in the area of Industrial Drive on Sunday. He was strangled to death.

The latest murder was reported at a home on Gold Star Highway Monday morning. Police in Groton have charged a local man with murder and home invasion after a body was discovered in a home on the Gold Star Highway.

The suspect has been identified as 20-year-old Sean Dowden. Police say Dowden was identified as the driver a vehicle that police had been pursuing on Monday. The driver fled the scene. But police say the investigation led them to a home and the discovery of the body. Dowden was arrested at another location.

He also faces charges of burglary, robbery, firearm violations and possession of crack cocaine and other drugs.

The victim's name has not been released. Police say the death was a homicide.
    This happened in the next town over from me. Sad that in ended badly for the homeowner. I was driving the wife to work this morning, and we heard this on the radio. I asked her "Do you see why I want you to carry all the time, especially around the house?".

She obviously saw my point, and agreed to carry more around the house.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Sad it takes something like this to open her eyes. My wife's perspective changed a bunch after the shooting at New Life Church in Colorado Springs - 42 miles up I-25. That was the final straw as little 'ole Pueblo had 5 homicides in as many days prior to the shooting at the church. Watch your 6 Mike - it's getting closer to home!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Sad it takes something like this to open her eyes. My wife's perspective changed a bunch after the shooting at New Life Church in Colorado Springs - 42 miles up I-25. That was the final straw as little 'ole Pueblo had 5 homicides in as many days prior to the shooting at the church. Watch your 6 Mike - it's getting closer to home!
    My wifes eyes have been open for some time now, I think they are just a little wider open now. She has her permit and carries everyday to/from/at work, but likes to take it off when she gets home. Hopefully this will help cement the fact that she needs to have it with her constantly.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Update:

WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - Groton murder suspect in court

Groton (WTNH) _ The girlfriend of a man accused in a deadly home invasion in Groton spoke exclusively with News Channel 8.

Starr Smith was with her boyfriend, 20-year old Sean Dowden, in their Central Avenue apartment when police picked him up on murder charges.

"He was like nervous and upset. He cried," Smith said. "I'm heartbroken. I'm shocked, stunned, confused."

Dowden never told his girlfriend about the murder of 94-year old Charles Lovenbosky inside his Gold Star Highway home. Police say in a videotaped confession, Dowden talked about how he prepared for the break-in and assault and that he knew who the victim would be.

The judge says the confession also describes how Dowden killed Lovenbosky and that's why the court documents have been sealed. He said if that information got out, not only would it jeopardize the case, it would also jeopardize Dowden's life.

Smith says Dowden did not share any details of the crime with her. "No, nothing at all. I didn't know anything," she said.

In all, Dowden faces 13 charges including capital felony murder and home invasion.
    CT doesn't use the death penalty very often, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it used in this case.

Maybe Sixto or some other LEO can explain how the details of the murder could jeopardize the BG's life? Unless it was something so heinous that he would get Jeffrey Dahmered in prison.

- Thomas Jefferson

Releasing the details of the confession prior to conviction is a usually a no-no. In regards to how it could jeopardize his life, it's called a lynch mob. And, in rare cases, I think they should be allowed. After conviction of course.

More info here:

TheDay.com - Police Say Man Confessed to Killing Elderly Groton Man

Groton — Town Police say they obtained a videotaped confession from the 20-year-old man accused of breaking into a home on Gold Star Highway yesterday and killing the elderly man who lived there.

Sean Dowden, 20, of Groton is accused of murdering 94-year-old Charles Lovendosky at his home at 400 Gold Star Highway. Dowden was arraigned today in New London Superior Court, where Judge Kevin P. McMahon ordered the police documents in the case sealed for two weeks but cited some of the information they contain.

“He prepped for this,” the judge said. “He knew who the victim was going to be. He specifically chose him and (on the videotape) he describes what was going to happen.”

Prosecutor Peter A. McShane had asked the judge to impose a $5 million bond, saying the case contains “the most egregious facts I've seen in some time. ... You'd have to live in a cave or otherwise ... to not know home invasion is not going to be tolerated in this state.”

The judge ordered Dowden held on a $500,000 cash bond and continued his case to April 28.

Dowden's girlfriend, Star Smith, said police arrested Dowden at her house.

Dowden had once lived next door to the man he allegedly killed.

Theresa Bonn, Dowden's grandmother, said Tuesday she raised him until he was 8 or 9 in her home at 406 Gold Star Highway.

“I'm terribly disappointed,” said Bonn. “I have no idea what happened. He was a sweet child when he was with us. I don't think he knew Charlie. He never had contact with him.”

An autopsy is scheduled to be performed Wednesday.

Dowden, of 61 Central Ave., was arrested late Monday and charged with felony murder, murder and home invasion among a total of 13 charges.

Police said a Groton Town officer tried to stop a car that was operating erratically in the area of Midway Oval, but the vehicle eluded police.

The car was later located parked and unoccupied in the Poquonnock Bridge community, and the subsequent investigation led police to 400 Gold Star Highway, where the body was found.

The investigation then took officers to Central Avenue, where they encountered Dowden, who they believe had been driving the car earlier.

Bonn said she raised Dowden starting soon after his birth because his mother -- her daughter, Caroline Demontigny -- was in prison at the time. She said Dowden's father, Thomas, also spent time in jail.

Bonn said her grandson left to live with his mother in New London when he was eight or nine years old and attended the Jennings School and Bennie Dover Jackson Middle School. He never completed high school, she said.

“This is shocking,” said Bonn. “We never had any problem with Charlie. I will miss him terribly. We really felt safe with him as our neighbor.”

Sean Dowden was released from prison Jan. 3 after serving a nearly two-year sentence for first-degree larceny and engaging police in pursuit. In January 2006 Dowden led police on a chase in a stolen car that ended when he crashed the vehicle into a garage.

Police began following Dowden after he committed several motor vehicle violations in the area of Williams and Manwaring streets in New London, police said.

Dowden traveled at high speed through the city and onto Interstate 95. He left the highway at exit 88, where members of the Groton town police joined the chase. He was captured when he crashed into a garage on West Shore Avenue, damaging the building, police said.

Officers found a knife in the car, police said.

Bonn also spoke Monday with a reporter before Dowden's arrest. Bonn said Lovendosky was a proud and private man whose long-time companion, Violette Littlefield, died last December. Bonn who was Lovendosky's neighbor for more than 15 years, said he was bothered by arthritis and other ailments and had stopped cooking for himself. She said he took many of his meals at nearby restaurants.

Bonn said she and her husband were glad to see him coming and going because they would have been uncomfortable knocking on his door to check on him for fear of invading his privacy.

She said she had noticed earlier in the day that Lovendosky's white Cadillac was missing. She said police told her Lovendosky had become weak and frail in his late years. She said his efforts to maintain his dignity included using a broom as a cane.

“I saw him using it to walk,” she said. “He was very proud. You know? But it was hard for him to walk to get his mail, so he used the broom. When he would see me he would start sweeping, pretending. He didn't want people to see him.”

Lovendosky's yard was littered with empty beer cans, food cans and Styrofoam containers along the tree and fence line that separated the two properties. A frying pan sat on the back steps of the small, faded home. The one-car garage stood open, empty.
    Sad.

- Thomas Jefferson

You think lethal injection might show him the error of his ways?

I lived in Groton for a year (Sub School) back in the early 90's and it wasn't the 'nicest' of cities then.......this is bad. He "preped" for this?!? He should be on death row here soon.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Is it just me, or has CT had a rash of home invasions the past year? All the incidents since Cheshire have changed my wife's mind on having firearms around the house. She even wants to get her own permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Larbax View Post
    Is it just me, or has CT had a rash of home invasions the past year? All the incidents since Cheshire have changed my wife's mind on having firearms around the house. She even wants to get her own permit.
    Remember that terrible one in CT where they killed a doctor's entire family?

They raped all three of them and burned the house down.

"The girls, sources told the Courant, were tied to their beds and raped repeatedly, then left to burn after gasoline was poured around their beds and ignited. "

Too bad the father wasn't carrying.

Ghastly Details In Conn. Home Invasion , Papers Report Mother, Two Daughters Raped Before Their Deaths - CBS News
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Yes there have been a rash of home invasions in CT in recent months. So many that the state legislature passed a bill classifying a home invasion as a Class A Felony.

I also sent this e-mail to my state representative:

Representative Reynolds,

I received your mailing today concerning recent changes concerning home invasions. In addition to these changes, how about introducing a bill to provide immunity from civil liability in the event of a justifiable homicide? I am aware that CT General Statute Chapter 529, section 53a-19(b) does not require me to retreat if I am in my own dwelling, or place of work and was not the initial aggressor. But if someone were to invade my home in manner similar to Cheshire, or the horrific home invasion/murder just this past Monday in Groton, and I were to have to resort to deadly force to protect myself or my family, I would still be open to a possible wrongful death suit brought by the intruders next of kin. It doesn’t seem right to me that I am lawfully allowed to use deadly force (in certain circumstances) to protect myself and my family, but could end up losing my home and everything I have worked for defending myself from such a civil suit. It would also be nice I didn’t have a duty to retreat before using deadly force in any place I am legally allowed to be, not just in my home or place of work.

17 states have adopted the so-called Castle Doctrine (Florida, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas) and most if not all provide civil immunity in the event of a justifiable homicide. I would like to see Connecticut join these states and provide such protection to its’ law-abiding residents.

Please let me know your views on this matter.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Hopefully I will hear something back from Rep. Reynolds, but I am not holding my breath.

- Thomas Jefferson

Here is a story concerning the bill that the governor recently signed:

Special Session Nets New Home Invasion Law - Connecticut News Story - WFSB Hartford

HARTFORD, Conn. -- The General Assembly early Wednesday approved legislation intended to toughen laws against home invasions and improve how the judicial system handles prisoners on parole.

The bill, which is the first legislative action in response to a deadly home invasion in Cheshire last July, now heads to Gov. Jodi Rell, who has said she will sign it.

"I am pleased with the bill, and as soon as it get to my desk and attorneys, review it, I'll sign it," Rell said. "If you go into a home and it's occupied and you have a weapon, you will be charged as a class A felony, that's toughest you can get, and you will serve time in prison."

The Senate voted 36-0 to approve the measure and was followed at about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday by the House of Representatives, which passed the bill on a vote of 126-12.

The arrest of two paroled burglars who were charged in the killings of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her daughters, Hayley and Michaela, prompted debate about how to make state law stronger and improve Connecticut's parole system. The bill is a compromise between the Republican governor, who convened a task force to study the issue, and Democrats who control the General Assembly.

"The people in my district have had it. They're done." Meriden Sen. Thomas Gaffey, D-District 13, said during Senate debate. "When you don't feel safe in your home what else do you have?"

The legislation would establish a new crime of home invasion and increases the penalty for burglary of a home at night by making it a first-degree burglary instead of second-degree.

Anyone who is convicted of second-degree burglary or home invasion would not be eligible for parole until after serving at least 85 percent of the sentence under terms of the legislation.

"What we are saying to the criminal is you don't have a place in Connecticut. In fact, the only place you have in Connecticut is in jail."
    - Gov. Jodi Rell
    The bill would require global positioning system monitoring of an additional 300 parolees. It also would require the criminal justice system to develop a comprehensive information technology system to improve information sharing among state agencies, board, commissions, local police departments and other law enforcement officials.

Legislative leaders agreed to Rell's demand that they drop a provision requiring prosecutors to prove a suspect knew a home was occupied to charge that suspect with home invasion.

"These changes are just the beginning of a much-needed, top-to-bottom reform of our entire criminal justice system," Rell said in a statement Tuesday night.

Other changes will be taken up in the General Assembly when its annual session begins next month, she said.

The Senate defeated an amendment, supported by the governor, that would have kept offenders convicted of three violent crimes in prison for at least 30 years.

Stamford Sen. Andrew McDonald, D-District 27, the Senate chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said lawmakers acted to achieve a compromise and Cooper said Rell is satisfied with the legislation.

Many of the Republican governor's reform ideas were similar to proposals put forward by the majority Democrats, such as creating a full-time Board of Pardons and Paroles and retooling the state's persistent felony offender law.

But Rell and the Democratic leaders differed on how to handle persistent offenders.

"I think what we are saying to the criminal is you don't have a place in Connecticut. In fact, the only place you have in Connecticut is in jail," Rell said.

The so-called "three-strikes" amendment called for a Superior Court review of a third-time offender's sentence after 30 years or after the inmate is eligible for release, whichever is later.

"We don't want people going into corrections on the installment plan and being cycled out and committing these horrible crimes," said Enfield Sen. John Kissel, R-District 7.

Democrats, acknowledged that the Republican proposal was a tempting law-and-order issue, but argued that judges need flexibility went imposing sentences on violent criminals.

"I urge you not to take that discretion away," said Guilford Sen. Edward Meyer, D-District 12.
    Hopefully this new law will have some teeth. Too bad the dem's in the state congress defeated the three strikes law.

- Thomas Jefferson

As long as the Dem's are running the show here, we'll never have a true 3 Strikes law. They're too busy keeping the lawyers and liberal judges in business. If you put a criminal away for life, you can't make any more money from him. I'm still waiting for them to have a "Hug a Thug" day at the capital.

BTW - 12 to 14 week wait for a permit now.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    the state legislature passed a bill classifying a home invasion as a Class A Felony.
    I don't think that bill will have any effect at all. The burglars are ignorant of the laws anyway.

I wish Nevada would adopt a castle doctrine.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Sponsored Links