Very Ugly: Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion

This is a discussion on Very Ugly: Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Deseret News | Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion By Pat ...

Thread: Very Ugly: Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion

Very Ugly: Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion

Deseret News | Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion

Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion
    By Pat Reavy
    Deseret News
    Published: April 15, 2008

West Valley police Tuesday were looking for four men in a brutal home invasion robbery in which a pregnant mother was beaten and her husband shot.
    About 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, four men wearing masks and armed with handguns entered a house through a back door near 4200 South and 4900 West, said West Valley police Capt. Tom McLachlan.

Four adults and a 2-year-old child were inside the house at the time. They were gathered up by the intruders and ordered into the living room, McLachlan said.

While the group was being contained, the 2-year-old continued to make noise. When the mother, who is 5-months pregnant, went to comfort her child, one of the burglars pistol whipped the woman, he said.

The husband stood up to go to his wife's aid, and was subsequently shot in the head and chest by one of the robbers, McLachlan said.

The invaders ran out of the house, taking some money and at least one wallet, he said. The family drove the 25-year-old shooting victim to the hospital themselves rather than call 911. He was last listed in critical but stable condition, McLachlan said. The wife suffered several lacerations but did not require hospitalization.

Hospital staffers alerted police to the situation once the victim arrived. McLachlan said as of Tuesday, there was no evidence to show the victims were specifically targeted. The family said they did not know their assailants.

Neighbors said the family had lived there about 2 or 3 years and there was usually a lot of cars parked in front. At least one neighbor thought that was because they threw a lot of parties. Another said he thought it was only because several families lived there.

Some neighbors the News talked to admitted the incident made them nervous, but they didn't believe the home invasion was completely random. Still, the shooting had some shaken.

"Yes, I'm very nervous now. It makes me very scared," said neighbor Doris Merz. "I'm trying to keep my door locked, which I normally don't do."

Investigators processed the house for possible evidence Tuesday. Anyone with information on the four suspects can call police at 840-4000.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Damn.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Deseret News | Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion

Pregnant woman beaten, husband shot in West Valley home invasion
    By Pat Reavy
    Deseret News
    Published: April 15, 2008

West Valley police Tuesday were looking for four men in a brutal home invasion robbery in which a pregnant mother was beaten and her husband shot.
    About 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, four men wearing masks and armed with handguns entered a house through a back door near 4200 South and 4900 West, said West Valley police Capt. Tom McLachlan.

Four adults and a 2-year-old child were inside the house at the time. They were gathered up by the intruders and ordered into the living room, McLachlan said.

While the group was being contained, the 2-year-old continued to make noise. When the mother, who is 5-months pregnant, went to comfort her child, one of the burglars pistol whipped the woman, he said.

The husband stood up to go to his wife's aid, and was subsequently shot in the head and chest by one of the robbers, McLachlan said.

The invaders ran out of the house, taking some money and at least one wallet, he said. The family drove the 25-year-old shooting victim to the hospital themselves rather than call 911. He was last listed in critical but stable condition, McLachlan said. The wife suffered several lacerations but did not require hospitalization.

Hospital staffers alerted police to the situation once the victim arrived. McLachlan said as of Tuesday, there was no evidence to show the victims were specifically targeted. The family said they did not know their assailants.

Neighbors said the family had lived there about 2 or 3 years and there was usually a lot of cars parked in front. At least one neighbor thought that was because they threw a lot of parties. Another said he thought it was only because several families lived there.

Some neighbors the News talked to admitted the incident made them nervous, but they didn't believe the home invasion was completely random. Still, the shooting had some shaken.

"Yes, I'm very nervous now. It makes me very scared," said neighbor Doris Merz. "I'm trying to keep my door locked, which I normally don't do."

Investigators processed the house for possible evidence Tuesday. Anyone with information on the four suspects can call police at 840-4000.
    Some folks don't get it do they... I wonder if she has homeowners insurance...? No, wait! There's never been a fire so it's ok...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Probably gang-bangers. Salt Lake City has been having a growing problem with them for years. I lived 5 hours away for 20 years but got SLC news and just watched it unfold over the years. Sad.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I hope the victims recover, and the perps get caught.

It's like a broken record now. Every time one of these reports gets filed the reporter includes a "it's never happened here before/I'm afraid now/probably gang related so it won't happen to me" quote. You've got the sheep who didn't think anything like that could ever happen, and the sheep that think it could happen but not to them personally. When are people going to wake up! The world is not looking out for them, it's not fair, and it's very capable of killing them.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Horrible
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

People have to learn...you can't trust anybody...
    Be armed at all times...
    You have a good neighborhood? Too bad, because that's where the BG's go for all the 'goodies'...

Stay armed...be alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And people wonder why my doors are always locked.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post

1) They drove themselves. A bit unusual for most folks, especially with a GSW to the head. Generally it means they are very self-reliant...or they have experience with such things.
    2) High traffic home. Not necessarily unusual, but lots of traffic usually means "lots" going on.

Just professional bias in reading the story...

Quote Originally Posted by Spenser View Post
    And people wonder why my doors are always locked.
    Always Deadbolted when I'm inside or not! There are animals running among us!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I hope they catch the scum.

Give them what they want and they won't hurt you? BS!

Too bad the perps weren't greeted with 12 ga slugs on their way in. Now they got away and the cops don't have a clue who it was. This really makes my blood boil.

So tell me again why we no longer have public floggings. These BGs would make excellent poster boys for it.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    High traffic home. Not necessarily unusual, but lots of traffic usually means "lots" going on.

Just professional bias in reading the story...
    They sound like crappy neighbors. I bet they had drugs or something else the perps wanted.

When I lived in the ghetto, the "high traffic" homes were places where people sold or did drugs.

The thug looking kid across the street from me always had teenagers pulling up to his house, going inside for about 5 minutes and then leaving. All day long. And my neighbors next door used to smoke crack on their porch. At least I think that's what it was. It smelled terrible. It definitely wasn't weed or tobacco. I felt so bad for their young kids.

I'm not saying the victims in this story deserved to get shot and pistol whipped, but I bet they aren't model citizens.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Links