BAD: Store Clerk Fires Recklessly - Milwaukee, WI

This is a discussion on BAD: Store Clerk Fires Recklessly - Milwaukee, WI within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man Opens Fire Inside Busy Grocery Store | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News MILWAUKEE - A grocery store ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Store Clerk Fires Recklessly - Milwaukee, WI

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Man Opens Fire Inside Busy Grocery Store | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News

MILWAUKEE - A grocery store shootout: surveillance cameras captured the whole thing on tape.

It happened inside the Village Food and Liquor in Milwaukee.

The shooting happened in the afternoon inside Village Food and Liquor. The store was busy at the time the gunfire was exchanged. The entire shooting was caught on surveillance tape.

Workers say it all started when the suspect tried to steal something. The suspect and clerk started fighting. The clerk grabbed a baseball bat trying to fend off the suspect. The clerk says the suspect left and came back with a gun.

The suspect approached the clerk at the counter with that gun. That's when the clerk got his gun.

As the suspect left he started shooting at the clerk. The clerk stuck his arm out a doorway with his gun and started shooting back.

The clerk says he fired 12 shots in self defense.

Customers can't believe what happened.

“Innocent people could have got shot as well. My child…me and my son come here and shop all the time,” Trent Towers said.

One customer was almost caught in the cross fire. Other customers saw the man come in with the gun and quickly ran out of the store. Others appeared to continue to shopping.

According to the clerk, the man came was dropped off by a group of people. After the shooting they left him and he took off on foot.

The suspect is still out there and police are trying to track him down.

You can still see bullet holes in the store.

Amazingly, no workers or customers were hurt.

The clerk says he wasn't given arrested or cited because he was shot in self defense. Looking at the video, the real story is with so many people around no one was hurt.
    Watch the video, unreal. What was the girl in the green jacket thinking walking towards the shooter. IMO the clerk acted very irresponsibly. Hard to tell, but it appears the suspect started to leave once he was facing the clerk's gun. At that point, with a crowded store full of innocents, he was downright reckless to fire 12 shots.

What do you think?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I think people like him give the rest of a bad reputation. That is exactly the kind of story the anti's look for. Glad nobody was injured by this reckless idiot.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Watch the video, unreal. What was the girl in the green jacket thinking walking towards the shooter. IMO the clerk acted very irresponsibly. Hard to tell, but it appears the suspect started to leave once he was facing the clerk's gun. At that point, with a crowded store full of innocents, he was downright reckless to fire 12 shots.

What do you think?
    Looks to me like the BG turned around and raised his gun on his way out the door. The story says the BG shot first as well.

Reckless? On the BG's part, absolutely.

ETA:

Surveillance Video Captures Robber, Clerk Shootout - Video Legacy - WISN Milwaukee

Better story IMO. I'm on the clerks side. He was defending himself.

Matiki, I am not saying that the BG didn't act recklessly as well. He obviously had bad intent on his mind when he left after being hit with the bat and came back with a gun, but you don't think that the clerk actions were also very reckless?

I am glad things turned out alright and no innocents were hurt, but I think the clerk did a large disservice to all CCW holders by his actions.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Matiki, I am not saying that the BG didn't act recklessly as well. He obviously had bad intent on his mind when he left after being hit with the bat and came back with a gun, but you don't think that the clerk actions were also very reckless?

I am glad things turned out alright and no innocents were hurt, but I think the clerk did a large disservice to all CCW holders by his actions.
    I couldn't disagree more. The clerk was fired upon and returned fire. I suppose he should have taken a bullet like a man?

ETA:

Also, the BG was firing into the store, not the other way around. So other than Ms. Oblivious in the green jacket, the store patrons were not in danger from the Clerk but the BG.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. The clerk was fired upon and returned fire. I suppose he should have taken a bullet like a man?
    I am not saying the clerk should not have returned fire. I am saying that once the BG was clear of the building and retreating, the clerk was irresponsible to stick his arm out the door and continue firing.

- Thomas Jefferson

I am not saying the clerk should not have returned fire. I am saying that once the BG was clear of the building and retreating, the clerk was irresponsible to stick his arm out the door and continue firing.

He didn't. He shot at the guy from inside the office space, through the door. He was probably covering the BG as he went out the doors, when the BG turned around and fired. The clerk returned fire from inside the office. I think maybe too much is being read into this. He didn't chase the BG at all, you can bet the media would have alerted us to that juicy tidbit.

Matiki,

I am only going with what was printed in the story where it stated that the clerk stuck his arm out the door and returned fire. (I underlined and bolded it in my original post above). If that didn't happen, then I retract my statement about his actions being reckless.

- Thomas Jefferson

Matiki,

I am only going with what was printed in the story where it stated that the clerk stuck his arm out the door and returned fire. (I underlined and bolded it in my original post above). If that didn't happen, then I retract my statement about his actions being reckless.
    It did happen, and all of it inside the store. The article has given you the false impression that the clerk was firing like a maniac around a corner or something.

If you look at the second video, which I linked to, you can see the clerk firing from inside a doorway to the extreme right of the camera. The narrator of the story makes it clear that the clerk was firing from inside the office space.

While the first story is not inaccurate, it is misleading.

ahh, now I see. The other video and story definitely puts this in a different light.

- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Thread running on this in defensive carry senerio's. Shows the BG firing first as he is exiting the store. At that point the clerk's life was in imminent danger and as far as I am concerned his returning fire was justified. Now whether the state of WI agrees is something still to be seen.

I personally think the clerk should have shot the scumbag ASAP! Not later after the guy is leaving.

I mean hell...

The guy comes in with gun in hand and the clerk just stands there gun pointing at him across the counter.

Maybe im just not seeing this correctly lol
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Gun owners have a responsibility to train themselves. I wonder if this guy's ever been to the range?

The disgusting thing about it is that had the clerk hit the bozo in the green jacket, who was obviously in an advanced state of condition white, he'd have been charged with a crime.

After seeing the vid, the clerk should have plugged this guy when he first came in...situation over...you rob, you're dead...end of story.

Obviously, more care should have been taken by being observant. The second that the dirtbag came back...no questions, no mercy!

This clerk missed the most important part of being armed...being cognizant of one's surrounding, especially working in a 'stop and rob'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links