Store owner repels robbers with gunfire-FL

This is a discussion on Store owner repels robbers with gunfire-FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ttp://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-flpsunnymart0417pnapr17,0,452243.story Riviera Beach store owner repels robbers with gunfire By Dianna Cahn | South Florida Sun-Sentinel April 17, 2008 Armed with guns and pointing one ...

Thread: Store owner repels robbers with gunfire-FL

Thumbs up Store owner repels robbers with gunfire-FL

ttp://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-flpsunnymart0417pnapr17,0,452243.story

Riviera Beach store owner repels robbers with gunfire

By Dianna Cahn | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    April 17, 2008

Armed with guns and pointing one at the head of a store employee, the would-be robbers of a Riviera Beach convenience store appeared to have the upper hand on Wednesday morning.

But a store owner with his own weapon turned that around right quick, police said.

He walked out of the cooler at the Sunny Food Mart on Silver Beach Road, saw the robbery in progress, and fired a round at the suspects.

As the two men fled the store, the owner, whose name was not disclosed, ran after them.

The suspects hopped into a dark Nissan Altima with a covered tag, said Riviera Beach Police Sgt. Pat Galligan.

As they drove by, one of the suspects pointed his gun at the store owner, Galligan said. But the owner again took the upper hand, and fired four more shots at the moving car.

"It's not the first time we've had business people that break out weapons," Galligan said. "They are sick and tired of being victimized."

At the Sunny Food Mart, Galligan said this was not the first time the store was held up.

He recalled a robbery there over a year ago. He said this time, the owner was able to get a jump on the robbers. He was out of view when the suspects walked in, one with his face covered.

Police are viewing a surveillance tape and Galligan said the man whose face was not covered is easily viewed in the tape.
    +2 for being ready and able.
    -1 for not hitting what/who you aim at.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I love these kind of stories but shooting at a fleeing car.....hope all his shots at least hit the car.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    ... but shooting at a fleeing car.....hope all his shots at least hit the car.
    Hm. I'd characterize this specific case differently, at least given the "facts" at this point, based on the police sergeant's statement.

I completely agree that firing at the car of fleeing suspects, in apparent punishment for their prior acts, is generally verboten. Highly risky to bystanders, too, given the risk of where that spray of bullets can go.

However, view this from the shoes of the man in the crosshairs, as you step outside the door to get the license plate of the getaway car. One of the cretins draws a bead on you, in clear attempt to take your life for the effrontery of daring to stop them.

If I'm being drawn on, then I am firing to save my own life against imminent threat of death, NOT to inflict penalties on a fleeing suspect's car bumper.

According to the police sergeant:
    As they drove by, one of the suspects pointed his gun at the store owner, Galligan said. But the owner again took the upper hand, and fired four more shots at the moving car.
    This is similar, IMO, to the distinction between shooting to stop your car from being stolen vs. shooting to defend against a violent attack when you ask the thief what he's doing. Big, big difference.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah, if the perps pointed a gun at him as they left, I would still consider that a viable threat. Says the license plate was covered up...too bad the owner didn't get that info...hopefully the surveilance tape offers some evidence.

Senior Moderator
    I don't have a problem with him shooting at the car. He was clearly still threatened.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    It's easy to sit back and quarter back a game. I have been caught up in the moment of a chase several times. You never know exactly what you will do unless you are there. I think.....repeat I think.........that I would have stopped at the door and called 911. Then the BG's wouldn't have the chance to point the weapon at me again.........but than again.......I wasn't there. Make me mad to have someone point a weapon at me........makes me madder for someone to shoot at me.........hurts real bad when they hit me.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I think shooting at a moving car would be pretty cool. Especially if its filled with scumbag pukes.

Good for him.
    I want to drive up there and shake his hand.

But then again with these gas prices... never mind
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I don't have a problem with him shooting at the car. He was clearly still threatened.

It was certainly the correct thing to say...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Riviera Beach, if you don't shoot back you might be considered easy prey and they'll be back! I'm always on high alert when driving through there.

Links