CCWer from New Life Church writing a book

This is a discussion on CCWer from New Life Church writing a book within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Volunteer Guard Who Stopped Church Gunman Is Writing Book - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver DENVER -- The volunteer security guard who shot and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCWer from New Life Church writing a book

Volunteer Guard Who Stopped Church Gunman Is Writing Book - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

DENVER -- The volunteer security guard who shot and wounded church gunman Matthew Murray is writing a book about the role forgiveness has played in her life.

Jeanne Assam said Thursday the book will include the events of December 2007, when she shot Murray after he had killed two people at a Colorado Springs church and two others at a Denver-area missionary training center.

Assam said she will also write about the forgiveness she has been shown -- forgiveness that she says led her to come to know God.

"I think God is so good. It's amazing and it needs to be written about," Assam said.

Just after midnight on Dec. 9, Murray went to the Youth With a Mission center in suburban Arvada, where he shot and killed Tiffany Johnson, 26, and Philip Crouse, 24.

Hours later, Murray drove to New Life Church in Colorado Springs, where he opened fire as worshippers left a Sunday service. Sisters Rachel Works, 16, and Stephanie Works, 18, were killed.

Murray then walked inside the church where Assam, who attends New Life and volunteers with its armed security detail, wounded him. Murray then fatally shot himself.

Assam said Thursday she is at peace with what happened.

"I have peace about it because we stopped somebody who was intending to do a lot of harm," she said.

Murray's parents have said their 24-year-old son had attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and was bitter about being an outcast.

Interviews and Murray's own Internet postings depict him as a disturbed young man who dabbled in the occult, briefly joined the Mormon church and turned against charismatic Christianity.

Assam was invited to the state Capitol on Thursday to be present when the House and Senate passed a resolution praising her bravery and crediting her for protecting the lives of hundreds of people at the church.

Assam said she was "flattered and humbled."

Also present was David Works, the father of the two girls Murray killed and who was himself wounded.

Assam has said God helped her stop Murray. She was weak after a three-day religious fast and prayed for God to be with her after she heard shots outside the church. She said her hand never shook, and she wasn't hit when Murray fired at her.

Aside from events of that day, Assam has revealed little about herself.

After the shooting, authorities in Minneapolis said she had been fired from her police job there in the 1990s for lying.

New Life Pastor, Brady Boyd was quick to defend her, saying everyone has made mistakes they regret and saying Assam had recently become a devoted Christian and had changed her life.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Sounds like something I will never read.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Sounds like it might be a good read.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I will reserve comment about whether it would be a good read or a bad book until after a paid book reviewer reads it and comments on the contents.

I do not want to read about how the shooting caused her to "Find God" again and again and again.

I would not mind reading about how the event caused her to alter her life in non religious ways and if the shooting also caused others to alter their lives similarly as well.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I mean no disrespect to Ms. Assam. She is courageous and her actions were heroic.

I get tired of the movie rights and book deals that many people sign up for after going through the trials and tribulations of life. But everyone has the opportunity to make a buck.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

More power to her. I think she did what a lot of people would not have had the guts to do. If God is a part of her life that is fine too.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I mean no disrespect to Ms. Assam. She is courageous and her actions were heroic.

I get tired of the movie rights and book deals that many people sign up for after going through the trials and tribulations of life. But everyone has the opportunity to make a buck.
    At least it is nice to see the good guy make a buck for a change. If the book or movie are any good I may make my contribution. Who wouldn't accept a couple of mill for their story if asked? Hey I'll consider any offer for mine
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Whether we are interested in her book or not, just as when the incident occurred, we all said, it can only be good for our cause.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I hate the "volunteer security guard" description.....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I wonder if the vote in the senate and house honoring her bravery was unanimous?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I hate the "volunteer security guard" description.....
    That is the exact job she was performing as per her own statements and those of her church. Not only that, but she was one of the voluntary ARMED security guards present that day, although I have no idea where any of the other armed or unarmed guards were at the time of the event. They have all mysteriously disappeared from radar.

"I think God is so good. It's amazing and it needs to be written about," Assam said.
    God is always more amazing where there is profit to be made.

I think there have already been a couple of books on God, right?
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    I think there have already been a couple of books on God, right?
    At least one best-seller.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

i dont know why some of you are dissing this woman, she shot a bad guy.
    she made a deal to make some money.you can do that in America.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I wonder if the vote in the senate and house honoring her bravery was unanimous?
    Doubtful unless the self righteous volunteer victims caved to peer pressure as I am sure CO. has its fair share of morons who think the woman raped and strangled to death with her own panties is morally superior to the woman explaining why the rapist has three holes in his chest
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I am happy for her. Why not?

She is an articulate and smart lady. She represents herself well. She has had numerous opportunities, in public view, to represent "CCW" or the like, as a "Good Gal", and has done extremely well while the cameras rolled.

More power to her.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links