BAD: Shooting Spree- Irvington, NJ

This is a discussion on BAD: Shooting Spree- Irvington, NJ within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - One killed, two wounded in New Jersey shooting spree Irvington, N.J. (AP) _ Police in Irvington, New Jersey, say ...

Thread: BAD: Shooting Spree- Irvington, NJ

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

BAD: Shooting Spree- Irvington, NJ

WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - One killed, two wounded in New Jersey shooting spree

Irvington, N.J. (AP) _ Police in Irvington, New Jersey, say a Bridgeport man was among three people shot early Sunday, possibly by the same gunman.

The Connecticut man, whose name wasn't released, was being treated at a Newark hospital.

An Irvington police sergeant also was shot and wounded, and a third man -- who lived in the area -- was fatally wounded.

Police say the shootings happened within a few minutes of each other, and all in the same area of the Newark suburb.

Police say the 23-year-old Connecticut man was stopped in his vehicle at a traffic light when the gunman pulled up, started to speak with him, then fired several shots.

Information on the severity of his injuries wasn't immediately available.
    Found this on the New Haven news station website. Not a lot of information to be found. I tried googling but couldn't find much else. Hopefully more information will be available tomorrow from the print media.

Sucks for the CT man to just be sitting at a traffic light and get shot.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Just found more here:

Shootings in NJ kill 1 and wounds 2, including cop - Yahoo! News

IRVINGTON, N.J. - A gunman shot a driver stopped at a traffic light and killed a pedestrian early Sunday, and the same man may be responsible for the shooting of a police sergeant in his patrol car, authorities said.

The three shootings took place within minutes in the same general area of Irvington, in northern New Jersey, around 3 a.m. Sunday, said Paul Loriquet, Essex County prosecutor's office spokesman.

Police later accused Shaquan Johnson, 27, of Newark of shooting the police officer, and authorities were investigating his possible involvement in the other two shootings.

The gunman first drove up to a vehicle stopped at a traffic light, according to a police news release. He spoke with the driver, a 23-year-old man from Bridgeport, Conn., before shooting him several times.

The gunman continued driving and shot to death Gary Farrar Jr., 22, a Rutgers University student walking on a sidewalk, police said.

A man then passed an Irvington police patrol car, backed up and told the sergeant inside, a 24-year police veteran, that a shooting had just taken place, police said. He then drew his gun and shot the sergeant.

The Connecticut man drove himself to a hospital in Newark, and an ambulance took the sergeant to a hospital. The sergeant was treated and released.

Law enforcers stopped a sport utility vehicle that Johnson was driving at about 9:30 a.m. The vehicle was similar to the one witnesses saw leaving the scene of the officer's shooting, Loriquet said.

Johnson was initially was arrested on drug possession charges but later charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, two weapons offenses and possession of hollow point bullets.

He was being held Sunday night in jail on $500,000 bail. Loriquet didn't know whether Johnson had a lawyer.
    Yet another person who was shot drove themself to a hospital.

Talk about random acts of violence. Shooting a man sitting at a traffic light, shooting a university student walking down the street, and shooting a police sgt just sitting in his cruiser. Hard to prepare for things like that, except being ever vigilant.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Is it me, or is this slumping economy adding to crazy and random acts of violence? Seems like it's time to move a little further away from metropolis.

Maybe the bg's aren't able to earn a decent buck anymore because all the decent hard-working folk are having to spend it on food, gas, etc so they are looking for 3 squares and a bed.

- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by socuban View Post
    Is it me, or is this slumping economy adding to crazy and random acts of violence? Seems like it's time to move a little further away from metropolis.
    OMG, you've got to be kidding.....
    Let's see, "dangit, this gas is just too expensive, I think I'll go rob or shoot someone".
    Maybe it's just the decay of our society and the belittling of morals.
    Maybe it's the fact that many criminals only have to deal with 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 strikes and you're out rather than zero tolerance to violent criminal acts.
    Maybe it's just the fact that some people are just 'plain bad' and prove to be of no benefit to society.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Hold on 1 minute here! The artical said it happened in NJ. Everyone knows that the gun controll laws in NJ were to stop gun related violence! After all, get rid of guns, get rid of crime! The State says it will work, so they must be right!!
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Johnson was initially was arrested on drug possession charges but later charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, two weapons offenses and possession of hollow point bullets.
    What's up with this? Are HP's illegal in NJ ?

As far as this perp is concerned, they should have just shot him.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    What's up with this? Are HP's illegal in NJ?
    Yep. They are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    OMG, you've got to be kidding.....
    Let's see, "dangit, this gas is just too expensive, I think I'll go rob or shoot someone".
    Maybe it's just the decay of our society and the belittling of morals.
    Maybe it's the fact that many criminals only have to deal with 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 strikes and you're out rather than zero tolerance to violent criminal acts.
    Maybe it's just the fact that some people are just 'plain bad' and prove to be of no benefit to society.

Valid points but, I won't rule out that uncontrollable external forces could cause a person walking a fine line between poverty and crime to snap and lose it.

Maybe it's loss of employ + child support enforcement + eviction that becomes the catalyst to desperate, irrational thinking and "crazy and random acts of violence".

This type of behavior is why we need a death penalty. Unforgivable!!!
    He should never walk among us again, and we shouldn't have to pay to house and feed him....he don't deserve it!
    Stick him!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thank God I live in FL...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    What's up with this? Are HP's illegal in NJ?
    I think this is a case of lazy/incompetent journalism. My understanding is that it is illegal to use HPs in the commission of a crime; mere possession is not illegal and, theoretically, if you use JHPs to shoot in self-defense then you are fine because no crime has taken place. The law against hollow-points is intended to be a sentencing rider, like most states make it illegal to wear body armor in commission of a crime.

So, the article probably should have said it more clearly. (But it would take too many words to say it correctly! )
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links