GOOD: Home invasion death in Denver area - Updated

This is a discussion on GOOD: Home invasion death in Denver area - Updated within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90284 DOUGLAS COUNTY - Deputies are investigating after finding a dead body while responding to a home invasion call on Sunday morning. The Douglas County ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90284

DOUGLAS COUNTY - Deputies are investigating after finding a dead body while responding to a home invasion call on Sunday morning.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office says deputies were dispatched to the 11000 block of Highway 83 at 7 a.m. on a report of a possible home intrusion. That's in southern Douglas County.

Deputies found a dead body on scene and began conducting a death investigation. Investigators have not said if the person who died is the intruder or the homeowner. The victim's name will be released after relatives are notified.

A man at the scene was detained for questioning, but police are not revealing his identity.

Authorities expect an autopsy to be conducted Monday or Tuesday.
    Yet another home invasion story. Something weird about this one though. I don't know why police wouldn't release whether it was homeowner or not. Ideas anyone?
    Last edited by BlackPR; April 21st, 2008 at 07:01 PM.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Lots of ideas but I'll wait for more info on the story .....something stinks on this one...........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Details are not being released because its an ongoing investigation . Possibly ( like close to here last year ) its a dope related " home invasion" , or possibly there are indications its actually an ambush . The person in custody may not be the homeowner or may not have a clear relationship to the address . Many " home invasions " are not clear cut righteous shoots. Releasing details to the press prematurely only tends to muddy the investigative waters so to speak .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90284

Yet another home invasion story. Something weird about this one though. I don't know why police wouldn't release whether it was homeowner or not. Ideas anyone?
    If they release that information, then the relatives of the deceased may be notified via the media instead of in person.

Investigators have not said if the person who died is the intruder or the homeowner. The victim's name will be released after relatives are notified.
    To me, this doesn't sound good. If it was the home intruder, releasing who it was would not be an identifier. If it's the homeowner, releasing the information would be... not good IMO.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90345

Latest update is that the homeowner will not be charged.

DOUGLAS COUNTY - Deputies released a few more details on Monday about the reported home invasion on Sunday that ended in the death of a man.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office says deputies were dispatched to the 11000 block of Highway 83 at 7 a.m. on a report of a possible home intrusion. That's in southern Douglas County.

Deputies found a dead body on scene and began conducting a death investigation. According to information that was relayed to them, deputies say the homeowner shot and killed the intruder.

The homeowner was detained by police for questioning. On Monday, detectives say they were still in the process of interviewing the homeowner in hopes of determining what happened.

Deputies say they still have not been able to identify the man who was shot and killed.

The Coroner's office will determine the official cause of death.

Colorado's Make My Day Law allows for homeowners to use deadly force to defend themselves inside their home, however it was not immediately clear whether the law was applicable in this incident.

The investigation continues.

Sheriff: Man Who Shot, Killed Intruder Acted Within Law - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
    A 65-year-old Douglas County man who shot and killed an intruder who had broken into his home was set free Monday after prosecutors determined he acted within the state's "Make My Day" law.

William Fresch was protecting himself inside his home when he fired upon the other man, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said.

The District Attorney's Office declined to file charges against Fresch.

"The evidence and investigation at the home leads detectives to believe that the deceased male was in fact an intruder in Mr. Fresch’s home," the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said.

The white man who was discovered shot to death inside Fresch's home was an intruder, police said. His identity is not being released until his family can be notified.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

This just in...

65 Year Old Home Owner 1

Thug Home Intruder 0

Final 'Make My Day' Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Its so nice when things work out EXACTLY like they are supposed to!! That "makes my day"

Well, at least he only had to spend a day in custody during the investigation. Must have been on the fringe of the "Make My Day" law.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Yeah... Kinda weird that they detained him. There's more details this morning. It didn't unfold in the best way.

The homeowner, a 65 year old man, ended up in a hand-to-hand struggle with the guy, after letting him get "Face to face" with him. But he used bolt cutters to get through the homeowners locked gate, broke in through a window, and the homeowner decided on un-armed confrontation before getting lucky and getting a gun -- a .38 special, and shooting the intruder in the head during a struggle.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90345

DOUGLAS COUNTY – Investigators say they are not recommending that any charges be filed against a homeowner who shot an intruder.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office responded to the 11000 block of Highway 83 at 7 a.m. on Sunday after someone broke into a home.

Deputies say the homeowner, 65-year-old William Fresch, shot and killed the intruder. Fresch was taken into custody and the body of a man was found inside the home.

Investigators say they have identified the man as 42-year-old Joseph D. Boone of Parker. The coroner's office will also determine the official cause of death.

9NEWS spoke with Fresch Monday night, he said Boone cut the bolts on the front gate, drove his car onto the property and broke into the window facing away from the highway.

"I heard some voices outside, I didn't know who it was, couldn't see," said Fresch in a phone interview. "I made up my mind not to reach for my rifle that was close by."

Fresch said he waited till the man came closer, until he was standing facing him.

"He said, 'Jesus Christ, I didn't know anybody was living there,'" Fresch said.

Fresch told 9NEWS he then reached for mini 14 caliber rifle, loaded it, then the man lunged at him and pushed him down on to a rocking chair.

According to Fresch, he did offer to let the man walk away, saying he would take the magazine out of his rife, but said Boone didn't believe Fresch wouldn't shoot him in the back.

The fight continued onto a cot, where Fresch said he had a hidden 38 caliber special. He then shot Boone in the head.

After talking to Fresch, investigators say they believe he acted within Colorado law while he was protecting himself inside his home.

Colorado's so-called Make My Day law allows for homeowners to use deadly force to defend themselves inside their home.

Deputies say the situation is still an ongoing investigation.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    It is odd that the homeowner was "detained". I have read of several other cases here where no action, even temporary, was taken against the resident. The laws are simple: intruder = lethal threat, lethal force can be legally applied against lethal threat.

Am I the only one that is absolutely SICK of hearing this rare piece of legislative common-sense called the so-called "make my day" law???
    Some idiot libtard "journalist" with a pen and a decent memory for overly-macho lines from Dirty Harry movies slandered both the author(s) of this bill, and the millions of citizens it is intended to restore basic civil rights to in mischaracterizing the law in this way.

I expect as much from the bottomless pit of depravity and utter incompetence that the (former) profession of journalism has sunk into, but why is this prejudicial phrase from the utterly vestigial mind of some imbicle media hack still being used by folks on *this* board?!?

Folks, it isn't the "Make my Day" law...it is the "SAVE MY LIFE/WIFE/CHILD!!" law! Remember, we are RIGHT and the gun-grabbing, anti-self defense/pro-criminal living embodiments of pure evil that they are, are WRONG, so let's not play there game by continuing to use the lies/terms they spread.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

It's generally known as the "Make my day law" in Colorado. It was passed before the term "castle doctrine" was widely used. So virtually everyone, pro or con, call it the "make my day law". It's so ubiquitus (and confusing) that people will tell you that Colorado doesn't have a Castle Doctrine, but in the same breath they will tell you that we have a "make my day law"..

The anti's always used something much stronger -- "The shoot first" law or "the license to murder" law.

Do the crime, do the time......

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Isn't it nice when states 'allow' you to defend yourself in your home?What happened to our once-great-country?

The investigation is still ongoing??? I hope that means they are looking for an accomplice.

Either the stories are not agreeing with the scene evidence, or the homeowner story varies a bit. All the more reason to get a lawyer before making a statement to the LEOs.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links