Another home invasion in my area (Southwest Vegas)

This is a discussion on Another home invasion in my area (Southwest Vegas) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A lot of these home invasions are only a block or two away from my house. Las Vegas Now | Southwest Neighborhood Targeted by Robbers ...

Thread: Another home invasion in my area (Southwest Vegas)

Another home invasion in my area (Southwest Vegas)

A lot of these home invasions are only a block or two away from my house.

Las Vegas Now | Southwest Neighborhood Targeted by Robbers

A new community in the southwest part of the valley is being targeted by thieves. Tuesday morning one woman opened fire on two robbers during a home invasion. She is just one of many in the neighborhood that have been confronted by criminals.

Neighbors say they are concerned for their safety. Although, Metro is trying to catch the crooks, they don't have much to go on. Neighbors are hopeful that security cameras may have captured a clear picture of the thieves.

There was a strong presence of police in the neighborhood Tuesday after the shooting.

"They were all in front of my house because someone had broke into the house down the street. That scared me, made me a little nervous," said one neighbor.

Just before 9:30 in the morning, investigators say burglars broke into a home while the owner was inside.

"The resident heard breaking glass. She came out and saw two unknown men, unknown race wearing masks and armed," said Metro Sgt. Andrew Patzer.

That's when the women grabbed her gun and began to fight back.

"While they were fleeing out the back door, she was able to fire one shot," said Sgt. Patzer.

Police aren't sure if the suspects were hurt, but neighbors are happy that the women took a stand.

This isn't the first time their neighborhood has been targeted by crooks. Neighbors say the break-ins have been happening about once a week and they want it to end.

"We live in a gated community, so you think we could be somewhat protected by the gates," said one neighbor.

But those gates haven't kept the criminals out and families are thinking about how they can better protect their homes.

"I have had sales person come to the door to sell us security systems because of the break-ins and I have been a little nervous off and on," said a neighbor.

Although they will make sure their doors and windows are locked, that's still not enough security for them to get a peaceful night's sleep, knowing that there are people bold enough to break in even when someone is at home.
    Technically you shouldn't be shooting at a fleeing suspect. I doubt there would've been criminal charges though.

If they come to my house, I won't miss And I will fire a hell of a lot more than 1 shot. I'll empty several mags.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Yea a gate community tells the BGs that maybe there is lots of good stuff to steal.........if a few more neighbors start shooting the crime spree will probably end.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

"The resident heard breaking glass. She came out and saw two unknown men, unknown race wearing masks and armed," said Metro Sgt. Andrew Patzer.

That's when the women grabbed her gun and began to fight back.
    This is another example of why you need to carry 24/7, I don't think she would have been able to call a "time out" so she could go get her gun if the BG's had decided to go after her.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Any bets the BG's live there?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Any bets the BG's live there?
    No way. These are very expensive houses. The average home price in my zip code is $750K.

I mean it's not impossible, but highly unlikely.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    At least the lady fought back.Many people in our day and age would simply lie down on the floor and cry.

When the dirtbags want 'goodies', they go to the 'goodies center'...

Don't be misled into thinking someone in a 750K house would never be a thief...they come in all sizes, both genders, and from various income levels...you might be very suprised...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    If she had only used the Mossberg.........
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I'm glad she had a way to defend herself and her family.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Actually, I was thinking of someones' offspring or foster kids. Could be they are going for thrills instead of money.

I'd bet that at least one of them lives inside, or has a personal relationship with someone living inside.

The better the security, the more likely it's an inside job.

Good point. Maybe some spoiled rich kid is being rebellious by making friends with gang kids.

The sad truth is that your part of Las Vegas is infested by thugs in the surrounding area. Over the course of two years a lot of undesirable people have moved into your area as renters and first time buyers. Naturally the crime wave haven't been spoken about on the news because of the image Southern Highland is trying to project. Truth be told you are living in an area that is suffering from their own making. It would better serve you to strap up and realize, no place is safe just safer than others.

no such thing as a safe neighborhood

With all the liar loans and fraud in mortgages in the past few years price is no deterrent to low lifes moving into a nice area. I'm glad she fought back.

Someone was just shot a few hours ago right down the street from my house. The police and fire department are down there right now.

Man Found Shot In Storm Drain, Police Say - Local News Story - KVVU Las Vegas

"We live in a gated community, so you think we could be somewhat protected by the gates," said one neighbor.
    I don't think that for a second, but apparently this person does. Naievete can get you killed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links