Shooting leaves 2 dead outside Plantation Police Department

This is a discussion on Shooting leaves 2 dead outside Plantation Police Department within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not even safe at the station house; Two people who may have been involved in a domestic dispute are dead after a car chase ended ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting leaves 2 dead outside Plantation Police Department

Shooting leaves 2 dead outside Plantation Police Department

Not even safe at the station house;

Two people who may have been involved in a domestic dispute are dead after a car chase ended with a shooting in front of the Plantation Police Department Friday night, police said.

By Joel Marino | South Florida Sun-Sentinel 1:36 PM EDT, April 26, 2008

Two compact cars raced into the police station parking lot 451 NW 70th St. at about 7:30 p.m. Friday. Olidia Kerr Day, 45, of Plantation, stopped her car in the middle of the lot, and the driver of the second car, Carlos Bolivar Cevallos, 47, of Pembroke Pines, rammed into it, police Detective Robert Rettig said.

Cevallos then ot out of his car and shot Day, Rettig said. An officer inside the building heard the shots, went outside and fired several rounds at the man. Rettig said it is unclear if the officer killed the man.

"This was domestic related," Rettig said. "They were involved in a relationship."

"It's possible that the man turned the gun on himself before our officer shot him," Rettig said.

Rettig said the situation may have started as a domestic disturbance.

Cevallos died at the scene and Day died on the way to the hospital.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave while the investigation continues, Rettig said.

2. Remove Ads

You never know when or where.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Could someone...ANYONE?...please list any of the anti's gun laws that could possibly stopped this violence?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No speeding.
    No domestic violence.
    No murder.
    No illegal guns.
    No carry without mommy-may-I permission from the state.
    No long barrels.
    No "hair" triggers.
    No super-duper capacity magazines.
    No evil black features on the gun.
    No "straw" sales, 'cause God knows where he got it.
    No misuse of a gun on odd Fridays.
    No bringing a "dangerous" weapon to a police department facility.
    No ...

No. That's about it. Not one of these things stopped this person from blowing a gasket. Not one law stopped the person from the crimes. None altered his ability to acquire his weapon(s). Not one restriction on upstanding citizens seeking to stop him would have improved things.

Mommy, may I have another ineffective law? Maybe when you grow up, just a little bit. Until then, no.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Only one officer responded from the station? I hope he was the only one there & the rest were out on the streets.

This just goes to show that even when you are AT THE POLICE STATION, the police will not be able to respond quickly enough to keep you from getting shot...

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by socuban View Post
    Not even safe at the station house;

Cevallos then ot out of his car and shot Day, Rettig said. An officer inside the building heard the shots, went outside and fired several rounds at the man. Rettig said it is unclear if the officer killed the man.
    Sorry guys, but that one bugs me...ALOT. I hope the reporter left out some info, because NOBODY, not even a LEO should just "jump in" and start firing on anyone holding a gun, unless they are threatened or fired upon.

That is my biggest fear as a CC holder if I am ever forced to use my weapon, getting dropped by another CC holder (or a LEO) who does not know what led up to my having to defend my life, just "Heard" the shots, sees me with the gun and starts shooting at me.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    That is my biggest fear as a CC holder if I am ever forced to use my weapon, getting dropped by another CC holder (or a LEO) who does not know what led up to my having to defend my life, just "Heard" the shots, sees me with the gun and starts shooting at me.
    That's an extremely important point. First goal, of course, is to defend yourself, but a strong second is to do everything you can to help everyone around you SEE that you're defending yourself ... whether that be via preliminary actions (ie backing up to a wall or behind an obstruction), or verbal commands, or whatever. Else, being dropped by another CHL or LEO is entirely possible.

The flipside of that coin is also important. Fools rush in. Who's to say what's really going on? You're going to jump into the fray and save the day, yes? Fine, but WHO is the good guy and what's really going on? Are you deadly certain that you're correct in your assessment. You'd better be, 'cause it's a life-and-death decision.

Certain situations are going to be crystal clear. But others, particularly when it's already in play when you arrive, might be a mystery until the investigating LEO's have mopped up the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The flipside of that coin is also important. Fools rush in. Who's to say what's really going on? You're going to jump into the fray and save the day, yes? Fine, but WHO is the good guy and what's really going on? Are you deadly certain that you're correct in your assessment. You'd better be, 'cause it's a life-and-death decision.
    That is EXACTLY why I do not get involved in others problems. If I do not know the whole story on what is going on, If I do not know any of the parties involved, or I witness and hear the entire event unfold before me, I am a witness and stay out of it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Only one officer responded from the station? I hope he was the only one there & the rest were out on the streets.
    If I understood from what I saw on the news, the officer might have not known or was getting the information as the events were happening. The lady was doing all the things that some "experts" recommend: Driving away from the guy, she was on the phone with 911 and drove to a police station. The thing was the nutjob boyfriend did not care about anything but killing her.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Agree.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Could someone...ANYONE?...please list any of the anti's gun laws that could possibly stopped this violence?
    Uh...........mandatory microstamping?

Sad update: Plantation operator: "Shots fired. Hold on one second."

God this sucks...............

Frantic woman was murdered in Plantation while hunting police station

BY SOFIA SANTANA AND ANDREW BA TRAN | South Florida Sun-Sentinel 10:35 AM EDT, May 7, 2008

Driving in Plantation, a frantic Olidia Kerr Day called 911, said she was being chased by a gunman and repeatedly asked where the local police station was.

Two 911 operators, in Sunrise and Plantation, who handled the April 25 call, couldn't immediately tell her.

That's according to a recording of Day's 911 call that authorities released Tuesday and other recordings released last week.

Minutes later, at about 7:30 p.m., Day was able to make it to the police station at 451 NW 70th Terrace without help from the operators. The gunman, following close behind, got out of his car and fatally shot her near the entrance. Then, with a suicide note addressed to police in his pocket, gunman Carlos B. Cevallos, 48, took his own life, officials said.

Day, a retired teacher from Texas, lived in Sunrise Heights with two daughters and a son, ages 16 to 22, neighbors said.

The night Day was killed, Cevallos went to her house, the two argued, and Day ran out and tried to get away from him in her car.

Police described the fatal incident as something that unraveled so quickly, there wasn't much they could do.

"It's hard to comment on this because this happened so fast," said Detective Phil Toman, Plantation police spokesman.

Toman said the department and its 911 center did not violate any policies or do anything wrong.

"As far as I've heard, she did fine," he said of the city's operator who handled part of the call.

Day's relatives could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

When Day dialed 911, she got a Sunrise dispatch operator who spoke with her before transferring the call to a Plantation 911 operator.

The call starts with Day telling the Sunrise operator: "Listen. Please, don't hang up and listen to me. I've been taken out of my house at gunpoint."

Day goes on to tell the dispatcher she is in Plantation and trying to get to the police station but doesn't know where it is.

The Sunrise operator transfers the call to Plantation police, where a different operator joins in on the call.

Meanwhile, Day repeatedly screams for someone to give her the police station address. She yells that she's on Fifth Street and 70th.

At the same time, Day's fiance is on the phone from inside his vehicle, trying to follow Day and Cevallos as he describes the same intersection to another 911 operator, according to a separate recording.

The fiance's name was not released.

During Day's 911 call, the Plantation police dispatcher tries to get her to provide more details, including who is chasing her.

"Stop yelling. I can't help you if you're yelling," the Plantation operator says.

The Sunrise police operator steps in, asks Day to stay on the line and says he is trying to look up the police station address.

"Please. He's going to kill me!" Day says.

Seconds later, Day yells she has stopped her car. Next, her distant scream comes over the line, followed by a brief silence.

Sunrise operator: "Hello? Plantation? Hello?"

Plantation operator: "Shots fired. Hold on one second."

The call ends.

Staff Researcher William Lucey contributed to this report.

Sofia Santana can be reached at svsantana@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4631.

This thread/incident does provoke thought along similar lines though. Don't know about everywhere else, but at least around here there was a rash of "fake Police" pullovers etc... off and on for a few years. The general advice coming from the police via the local propoganda...oops I mean news channels, was that if folks thought the unmarked car behind them may not be a police vehicle that they should call 911 on their cell and head for the nearest police station or head there anyway if they didn't have a phone.

Clearly...this helps bolster my opinion that that is not exactly a reliable option.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Consultants fault responses to 911 call before Plantation woman was shot

911 isn't always the solution;

BY SOFIA SANTANA | South Florida Sun-Sentinel May 11, 2008

PLANTATION - Driving to the police station in an attempt to seek refuge from a gunman bent on killing her and himself, Olidia Kerr Day made a 911 call from her cell phone that could not save her life.

Some experts said there was nothing the 911 operators who handled the April 25 call could have done to save Day, while others said the operators didn't do enough.

A 911 operator for Sunrise and another for Plantation both handled Day's 3-minute-and-24-second call.

"It seems that the short duration of the 911 call really prevented both dispatchers from devising an appropriate strategy that might have saved Ms. Day," said Gary Allen, who worked as a 911 dispatcher in California for 19 years and currently edits DISPATCH magazine. "It's impossible to say if she would have been safe if she had continued driving. She [Day] made the best choice — drive to the nearest police station."

Robert Krause, an emergency services consultant in Toledo, Ohio, disagrees. He thinks the 911 operators should have told Day to keep driving and should have realized she would have been in danger if she stopped the car.

"It makes common sense to keep driving," he said.

Day, 45, of Plantation, was shot to death as she tried to run to the lobby of Plantation's police station by Carlos Cevallos, 48, of Pembroke Pines, who then killed himself. The two had met weeks earlier, but police said they don't know what kind of relationship they had.

Day, a mother of three, was engaged to be married to another man.

Cevallos barged into Day's home, the two stayed in a bedroom for a short while and then Day ran out of the home and into her car to try to drive to the police station, authorities said. Cevallos followed in his own vehicle, brandishing a pistol.

Day had lived in her Sunrise Heights home in the 6800 block of Northwest 14th Street for about four years, but during her frantic 911 call could not accurately describe where she was in the neighborhood, further complicating the situation for the operators.

Michael Loiz, a public safety consultant and veteran paramedic in Connecticut hired by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel to do an analysis of the latest 911 recording, thought the Plantation operator asked Day unnecessary questions that cost precious seconds.

Plantation officials have defended the actions of the Plantation operator, saying she did not break any of the city's policies.

The questions came during this exchange:

"Ma'am. Do you know him?" the operator asks, referring to the gunman.

Day identifies Cevallos by name.

The Plantation operator responds: "Habla Espanol?"

Day: "Si, señora. El es un señor que está enamorado de mi, pero — "

The operator cuts Day off as she explains that Cevallos is a man who is in love with her. Still in Spanish, the operator again asks Day where she is. Day keeps screaming back in English that she wants to know where the police station is and that the operator needs to send officers to her intersection, though Day still isn't able to give her exact location.

"The point at that time is to get her to safety," Loiz said. "How do you know him? Who cares? Little things like that waste time."

Day later shouted that she was on Fifth Street and 70th Street — a wrong location. She may have been on Northwest 70th Avenue, officials said. Despite Day's repeated pleas to the operators for the location of the police station, the operators did not tell her that it was at 451 NW 70th Terrace.

"You want to guide them to some place where there's going to be good lighting and other people, the presumption being that the bad guy might be discouraged," Paul Linnee, a Minneapolis-based emergency services consultant, said of the operators. His current research focuses on issues related to 911 calls made on cell phones.

Neither operator could trace Day's cell phone to find out exactly where she was. All 911 centers in the region have technology that enables such determinations, but it sometimes is spotty with older cell phones, authorities said.

It took about 20 seconds for the Sunrise operator to transfer the call to Plantation. Such delays come from the way telephone companies handle 911 calls from cell phones.

Cell phone 911 calls typically are routed to the 911 center closest to the tower the cell phone signal bounces off, which isn't always in the same area the caller is in. That puts 911 callers at risk because the operator answering the call may not be able to offer immediate help, Linnee said.

"Calls like this are becoming more and more frequent," he said.

Locally, such delays in reaching the right 911 operator are more likely to happen in Palm Beach County, where more than a dozen agencies handle 911 calls, than in Broward, where emergency calls are more centralized and handled by seven agencies.

Staff Writers Dianna Cahn, Brian Haas, Andrew Tran and Staff Researcher Barbara Hijek contributed to this report.

Sofia Santana can be reached at svsantana@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4631.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links