Navy man, walking with fiancee, identified as slaying victim

This is a discussion on Navy man, walking with fiancee, identified as slaying victim within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Navy man, walking with fiancee, identified as slaying victim | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com There was no word Friday on a suspect or a motive in ...

Thread: Navy man, walking with fiancee, identified as slaying victim

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Navy man, walking with fiancee, identified as slaying victim

Navy man, walking with fiancee, identified as slaying victim | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

There was no word Friday on a suspect or a motive in the killing Thursday night of a naval officer who was walking with his fiancée and two children near Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center.

Police, responding to a report of shots fired in the 100 block of Beverly Ave., found the man on the ground suffering from multiple gunshots wounds.

Paramedics arrived soon after, but Sgt. Jim Robertson, a police spokesman, said the victim was pronounced dead about a half hour later at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

On Friday afternoon, police identified the victim as 40-year-old Lt. Todd Cox of the 500 block of Talbot Hall Road, which is just a few blocks away from the shooting scene.

Cox, who was assigned to Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 125, joined the Navy July 1985 and had been assigned to the squadron since August 2006 where he worked as an Aviation Maintenance Officer.

Neighbors said Cox was out walking with his fiancé and two children – one his from an earlier marriage, one hers from an earlier marriage – when a truck pulled up. A man got out of the vehicle, walked up to the victim and shot him.

The gunman continued to fire after Cox fell to the ground, witnesses said. The assailant then got back in the vehicle and fled.

Reports of the shooting began coming into 911 dispatchers about 8:09 p.m., Robertson said.

When officers arrived, Robertson said they found Cox on the ground, "just off the pavement" of the road.

The scene of the shooting is just off Granby Street, across from DePaul Medical Center.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Unbelievable! Sometimes SE Virginia rivals Richmond.

Sounds like an X-boyfriend or husband of his fiancee
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sounds like an X-boyfriend or husband of his fiancee

Agree.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Man,

I can't say how much this sucks. Here is a guy who has served his country for 23 years, and he is gunned down by some low-life. He should have been able to live a long life and enjoy the pension that he earned. Hopefully the fiancee and the children were able to give the PD a good description and the thug is caught in short order.

I also wouldn't be surprised if it was the fiancee's former husband, boyfriend, whatever.
    Last edited by JD; April 28th, 2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Removed language workaround.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Navy man, walking with fiancee, identified as slaying victim | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

...a truck pulled up. A man got out of the vehicle, walked up to the victim and shot him.

The gunman continued to fire after Cox fell to the ground, witnesses said. The assailant then got back in the vehicle and fled.
    It's a tragic thing when a man is gunned down in his own neighborhood, no matter where you live, and to have your family watch it makes it even worse.

Hind sight is always 20/20, but we can learn from this incident. If the fiancee knew the shooter, she more than likely would have told the police who it was. It could have been a random killing or a planned execution. This incident shows how important it is to be on condition yellow alert when we're out and about. It also shows how important it is to be armed in your own home and neighborhood now days. When the truck stopped, Lt. Cox should have gone to condition orange. If he didn't recognize the shooter when he got out of the truck and started towards him, he should have been at condition red with a plan. Thankfully, his fiancee and children were not harmed. Our military men and women have to endure so much, they don't need to die like this at the hands of some lunatic.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Agree.
    Agreed with your agreeance.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yeah the LEOs or reporters are being a bit sketchy...

One thought, and I hope I'm very wrong for this to be a navy town, was he in uniform? Definitely a few wackos out and about...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Chances are he wasn't in uniform if he was in his neighborhood after working hours. Hope they catch this guy quickly.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I might have missed it, but is his family (fiancee, etc.) ok?
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Usually the ex- takes out the woman as well...maybe the kids stopped the shooter. I wonder who was listed as beneficiary on his insurance...

Rick

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    One of the things with something like this........if someone really wants to kill you and I mean you personally not just some random killing; there is not much defense.....sooner or later they will get to you unless you know who they are and you get to them first.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Sounds like a gang initiation to me.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Sounds like baby momma drama to me.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Links