FAU Boca Raton campus locked down while police search for shooter

This is a discussion on FAU Boca Raton campus locked down while police search for shooter within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Why students should be allowed to carry; By Sonja Isger Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Wednesday, April 30, 2008 BOCA RATON Florida Atlantic University's ...

Why students should be allowed to carry;

By Sonja Isger Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Wednesday, April 30, 2008

BOCA RATON Florida Atlantic University's Boca Raton campus is locked down while police search for a man who opened fire at a party in a residence hall.

University police report that a fight broke out at a party at the University Village Apartments on the east side of campus when someone called 911 to report gun shots, Deputy Police Chief Keith Totten said Wednesday

One person was grazed by a bullet, but the injury was not enough to warrant a trip to the hospital, Totten said.

The shooter took off, and though police responded within two minutes of the emergency call and immediately ordered a lock down, they don't know whether the shooter made it off campus, Totten said.

So as the sun came up Wednesday, no one was being allowed on or off campus. All four main entrances to the campus east of Interstate 95 were closed. Classes have been canceled - right in the middle of final exams week, Totten said.

The shooter, however, is believed to have been caught on closed circuit surveillance video, Totten said. And his mug is being posted around campus in hopes that someone may be able to identify him, Totten said.

The shooting comes just six weeks after the campus installed heightened security - a response to Virginia Tech and other campus shootings.

FAU President Frank Brogan told our news partners at CBS 12 that he heard the new campus-wide sirens from his home. The sirens, which Totten said were activated 25 minutes after the initial call, were followed by a public address warning that students should seek shelter. Also, a reverse-911 call and text message was sent to students and faculty, Brogan said.

Students who were wandering about campus at the time were moved by police to a central location near the library, Totten said.

... police responded within two minutes of the emergency call ...

... new campus-wide sirens ... were activated 25 minutes after the initial call ...

Students who were wandering about campus at the time were moved by police to a central location near the library, Totten said.
    Hm. "Heightened" security went out ~23mins after the emergency call resulted in the arrival of police. There were two bright spots. At least they didn't claim the measures "effective," only "heightened." And, it's nice to know the university prez heard the sirens at his home, off-campus.

And the point remains that, if this person were so inclined to take a dozen innocents with him, then these new precautions would not have stopped it.

Question: Are Florida's adult university students, faculty and staff still expelled, fired and villified if they are found to be carrying their own defensive weapons on campus?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    It is illegal to carry on campus. :(. When will they learn?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

AT the virgina tech shootings the police were hith hiding behind stuff
    not activly seeking out the wrong doer make me feel safe

There are apparently a lot of people out there with brains the size of crablice.

Get drunk or stoned and start shooting seems to be the think to do.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BENZIN View Post
    AT the virgina tech shootings the police were hith hiding behind stuff
    not activly seeking out the wrong doer make me feel safe
    That is absolutely untrue. Please provide the source of your information.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sirens? What a joke. Reminds me of Kuwait where they have sirens on-post everywhere and test them weekly.
    What with car bombs, Iranian gunboats just across the water, and a huge perimeter.
    We used to joke about how the REAL emergency message should be:
    "This is not a drill. You can't hear this because you're already dead."

Sirens also won't work here in Kansas due to everyone just thinking they are testing the tornado sirens again.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

Miggy,
    Your post may not have been intended as a response to my question. I was not sure since there was no accompanying message. What I saw in the grainy video was 2 - 3 officers moving around the building using cover. What is not shown in that video is the campus police officers trying desperately to breach the building to get to the shooter. To say that "the police were hiding behind stuff not actively seeking out the doer" is beyond disingenuous...it is outright false. Campus police were working very hard to get to the shooter. Again, I may have misinterpreted your post since there was no accompanying message. If so, my apologies.

Having said that, on a college campus as is the case anywhere else in life, the police cannot be everywhere all of the time. If college campuses would allow permit holders to carry on campus (students AND staff) it would create a MUCH more dangerous environment for the potential active shooter. Odds are much higher that an active shooter would be quickly dispatched by an armed student or staff member BEFORE they were able to inflict more casualties. The police simply cannot get there in time to prevent needless murders. Allowing students and staff to be armed is the most logical answer. Trying to convince those who reside in the hallowed halls of the ivory towers of academia is another issue altogether...
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

"The shooter took off, and though police responded within two minutes of the emergency call and immediately ordered a lock down, they don't know whether the shooter made it off campus, Totten said.

So as the sun came up Wednesday, no one was being allowed on or off campus."

So they don't know if the shooter is still there, but they're not going to let anyone get out of the danger area, hmmmm?
    "If you can't place your shots on a non-moving piece of paper, how much more difficult will it be when that piece of paper becomes a 3-time felon whose sole purpose is to avoid going back to prison no matter what happens and no matter who gets in the way?"

Taken from a posting by "Deadmeat 2"

Update

"What are you laughing at? BANG!

Laughter provoked shooter, partygoer says

By MICHAEL LaFORGIA Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Thursday, May 01, 2008

BOCA RATON — Rhyan Walcott watched his friend's antics until it became too much for him.

Seated on a stool in the ground-floor kitchen of his friend's two-story apartment in University Village, a student complex on campus at Florida Atlantic University, Walcott, 21, laughed and laughed.

The grounds around him were alive with the sounds of coed revelers marking the end of exams, the laughter and shouting punctuated by the crackling of fireworks from the second-story walkway. An abundance of alcohol and the upcoming release of summer vacation added a dash of volatility to the evening.

Walcott, a student at Broward Community College, had made the trip to FAU on Tuesday night to visit a close friend in apartment 233. And although he couldn't cut loose too completely - he had finals in macroeconomics and biology the next day - he was having a good time.

His smile faded, though, with the approach of a tall, scowling stranger in braids and a long red shirt, standing behind the friend at whom Walcott was laughing.

What are you laughing at? the man wanted to know.

Not at you, Walcott said.

"I was thinking in my head: 'You think we would waste time laughing at you?'" Walcott recalled in an interview Thursday. He would need some time to comprehend what happened next.

"He just immediately pulls out the gun and hits me on the head a few times," Walcott said. "I try to get him and he just steps back and fires. I see the flash."

The sight of the pistol and the sharp crack of a gunshot sent partygoers scrambling into the bathroom, up the stairs or out the door. There were screams and sobs and the frantic sound of trampling feet.

"He hit me again and then I fell back on my back because I was just dazed," Walcott said. "And then he fired another one."

After the stranger had fled, Walcott picked himself up. His temple was sore and swelling, blood trickled from his lip and from the corner of one ear, but otherwise he was all right. He realized the gunman had missed.

An eerie warning siren sounded. The rest of the night was a whirl of police and ambulance lights. Gruff officers and paramedics bustled about the apartments. The campus was locked down as officials triggered FAU's alert system, revised after last April's mass shooting at Virginia Tech.

Walcott sat with investigators for hours, giving his statements.

By Wednesday afternoon, police had arrested Omar Graham Jr., 23, a management student at Johnson & Wales University in North Miami, in the shooting.

Graham admitted to the shooting, according to his arrest affidavit. Investigators found his gun, wrapped in a red T-shirt, in a friend's house in North Miami, the report stated.

Graham, who lives in Royal Palm Beach, was being held at the Palm Beach County Jail on charges of attempted murder, aggravated battery and firing a gun.

At a court hearing Thursday morning, Graham's lawyer suggested he had pulled the gun to defend himself. A judge, who called the attempted murder charge "sketchy," set Graham's bond at $35,000.

Walcott got back to Miramar about 2 p.m. Wednesday. He had missed his exams, and would have to reschedule. But first he took awhile to collect his impressions.

"I thought about it afterwards," he said. "That was really close to death. How are you going to die over something so simple, and so stupid?"

Links