Driveway robberies; how may I rob you?: MERGED

This is a discussion on Driveway robberies; how may I rob you?: MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They just wait for you to come home Miramar police warn of driveway robberies By Macollvie Jean-François | South Florida Sun-Sentinel 10:39 PM EDT, May ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driveway robberies; how may I rob you?: MERGED

Driveway robberies; how may I rob you?: MERGED

They just wait for you to come home

Miramar police warn of driveway robberies

By Macollvie Jean-François | South Florida Sun-Sentinel 10:39 PM EDT, May 1, 2008

MIRAMAR - Reports of thieves ambushing people at their front doors have prompted police to start warning residents about the crimes called "driveway robberies."

Communities in southwest Miramar have been hit the hardest since the spree began in February, but no development is off-limits, police said.

"We believe the suspects are randomly choosing their victims," police spokesman Bill Robertson said. "They're targeting driveways because that's where people let their guard down, because they're in their comfort zone."

That space between doorway and car door turned dangerous for at least a dozen Miramar residents, according to police data provided Thursday. In the 14 incidents reported as of Thursday, the robbers have struck as residents prepared to leave for work, between 5:30 and 7 a.m., and when residents were returning home, between 10 and 11:30 p.m.

Residents of the Estates of Lake Miramar, Fairway, Foxcroft, Huntington, Meadows of Miramar, Monarch Lakes, Murano and Villages of Renaissance have been victimized, police said.

Pembroke Pines police said two driveway robberies were reported in their city, in the Lakeside Key development, in February and March.

Usually, two or three robbers drive into a development looking for potential victims, Robertson said. They generally wear masks and, in several cases, point guns.

People in driveways are attractive targets because they tend to be carrying wallets, personal identification, laptops, phones and other valuables, Robertson said.

Detectives do not yet know if one group is responsible for the spree, or if there are multiple rings.

While driveway robberies may have occurred sporadically in the past, this is the first time there have been so many in such a short period of time, Robertson said.

Carlos Montoya, 36, who was robbed while leaving his home in February, said the robberies have taken a toll on his Melrose Cove community in Monarch Lakes.

"There used to be people out jogging. Now you don't see that anymore," Montoya said. "It's scary."

Montoya said he was leaving his home about 6:45 a.m. when a gunman wearing a ski mask pulled in front of his driveway. Before Montoya could leave, the driver pulled up, pointed a gun at him and demanded his money and cell phone. He was robbed but unhurt.

On April 22, a group robbed another man on Montoya's block, police said. This time they beat the resident and sped away.

That robbery and two others like it within a half-hour, in the same area near Flamingo Road, prompted police to begin informing the public last week, Robertson said. Police began distributing fliers, officers visited homeowners' association and community watch group meetings, and the department stepped up patrols, he said.

Detectives are also working with Hollywood police to determine whether two people arrested there were involved in the driveway robberies, Robertson said.

He said police did not publicize the robberies sooner because detectives had a few possible suspects they did not want to scare off.

That's small comfort to the victims and their neighbors.

"If it's happening almost every other night, why don't they tell everybody?" Montoya asked. "Are they waiting for somebody to get killed?"

Dafnie Lindor, 32, whose young daughter saw the robbers speeding away from Montoya's block, said she is worried an unintended victim might get hurt.

"It frightens me, because you never know when you're next," Lindor said.

"This is supposed to be a community of families here. It makes you feel like somebody's watching you. It's uncomfortable."

Macollvie Jean-François can be reached at mjfrancois @sun-sentinel.com or 954-385-7922.

2. Remove Ads

Man, Florida is messed up.

600 people A DAY moving to your state will do that I guess.

Catalina (from shrinking Ohio - and loving the room!)

This is bad for several reasons. I carry every moment that I'm not at school. When I get home, I go right to the safe and 'arm up'...
    Now in the morning, I either go out to the car or Harley (depending upon the weather)...I'll admit, I would feel helpless being targeted at 7 A.M. (I do carry an assisted opener and OC spray...).

This is very concerning to me...but reading about it helps me think about the possibilities, first thing in the morning...I'll have to make adjustments...

Thanks!...for this post...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That kind of crime just makes your blood boil, right outside your home, actually on your property. Hopefully some property owner will end up administering doses of lead poisoning soon, to particular individuals engaged in this activity.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

When I leave the house I make a consciouse thought of knowing "where my draw is".

When I get home I'm always looking around too.

Course I live in a neighborhood that keeps me on my toes.

sounds like the cops needs to set up a SIS LAPD style set up or bait to catch these guys. have the armed goods guys waiting for the BG to show up and such...
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    Man, Florida is messed up.

600 people A DAY moving to your state will do that I guess.

Catalina (from shrinking Ohio - and loving the room!)
    Like "schools without walls", I think Florida is becoming a "gaol
    without bars".

I'm thinking Port Arthur, Australia circa 1833

Exclamation Driveway and Front Door Attacks: Of Course!

Excerpts from another forum I frequent occassionally. Excerpts and editing are mine:

By far, the most dangerous moment of the day, is when I (or my wife) leave/enter my house. .................Criminals are not stupid, and they will spend days checking the place and specially YOUR ROUTINE. For example, if they see that you lock the gate at night, as most do, they will wait for you behind a tree until you are close. .................If they think that security is tight, they will just hide near the main gate, and wait for you to leave or return. When you stop at the gate and must get out of the truck to open/close the main gate, they attack. I’d say that the most frequent kind of attack is attacking by surprise when you enter/leave your home....................If I could give one advice ............it would be: Eyes and ears wide open when you enter/leave your home. If possible, keep a gun on your hand when doing either one. If something looks, even “feels strange, then go around the block and check again, carefully. If you see them still there, either call the police (if still available) or get help. ...................Also, remember that a car is one heavy, powerful piece of machinery. I know a guy that had one of those big chrome–tube bumpers installed on his truck, especially for hitting those that were stupid enough o try to make him stop by standing in front of the car.

Original Author: Farfal

VIP Member

Bad: Driveway Robbers Target Family-Friendly Neighborhoods

This little news item made my day since that area is about 2 miles from where I live. Needless to say I'll be more aware than usual.

Driveway Robbers Target Family-Friendly Neighborhoods - Headlines Only News Story - WTVJ | Miami
    MIRAMAR, Fla. --
    Dangerous driveway robberies are on the rise in family-friendly neighborhoods like Miramar, Pembroke Pines and Hollywood, police said.

People are becoming targets of the driveway robberies when they leave expensive items, like computers, purses and cell phones, inside their vehicles in plain view.

"Here I am, down here on my grass with a gun pointed to my head and some guy telling me he's going to kill me," victim Joanne Wright said. "Nobody saw or heard anything."
    Click here to find out more!

Wright, a Miramar resident, said she thought she was safe living in a gated community until two gunmen attacked her.

"Two guys come zooming around the corner, they blocked my car in and jumped out with a gun," she said. "He said, 'I want the money.' He grabbed me, puts me on the ground and he's patting me down, then the guy just jumps in my car."

There have been a string of nearly two dozen similar cases throughout Miramar, police said, in several subdivisions, including Monarch Lake, Viscaya, Huntington and Avalon.

"They actually put a gun to his head when he was taking out his laptop and stuff from the car," one victim's wife, Ingrid Isaacs, said. "They took his laptop. They took his wallet out of his pocket, his cell phone and his car keys. They took his glasses off his face."

Police said Isaacs and others like him can become easy targets for robbers.

"Early in the morning when they're getting ready to leave for work or late at night when they're coming home," Bill Robertson of the Miramar Police Department said.

One man said the robbers became violent when they attacked his son. He said they pistol-whipped him in the head before fleeing the scene.

Robbers also targeted a detention officer, who fired at the men five times, but missed.

"I was devastated because I pay to live in a gated community so I expect protection," Wright said.

Police arrested a group of men in Hollywood who they think may be connected to the cases. However, police said there have been more attacks since their arrest.

Police said if a vehicle is following a resident to their home, they should circle around and not go home. If that vehicle does not drive away, the resident should call 911.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Miggy,

You need to stay on your toes...from sunrise to sunset...and in between, too!

These dirtbags are everywhere, morning...noon...and night! What's this world coming to?

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I arrive from work at Midnight. Surefire in weak hand, strong hand free and scanning like a navy radar. But the morning worry me 'cause the wife leaves for work at 7 am. I told her that she is to wake me up so I can make sure she leaves safe.
    I am wondering if I we can get county funding to put up a fence between Dade and Broward.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I am wondering if I we can get county funding to put up a fence between Dade and Broward.
    Or get Broward county to buy Miami-Dade residents more guns/ammo

A fence BETWEEN Miami-Dade and BRO-ward? What will that do? There is no more "line in the beach sand in SO FLO!"

How about a razor wire fence AROUND South Florida from the beaches to the Everglades, bordered on the south by Florida Bay and on the north by Lake Worth....

SoFlo's become a concrete jungle lit by sodium vapor lights so bright that when we fly in from the Caribbean...we can see it FROM THE NORTH COAST OF CUBA!

You may want to look into a camera (or 4) system that you can monitor thru your PIP. For what it's worth>

1) Mine are all mounted inside my place, in the windows.
    2) The driveway cam has 180 degrees of scan, I can see down my block to the street corners..
    3) I mounted one in the garage....
    4) Two more monitor the back yard

Situational awareness eliminates suprises...upon arriving home, automatic lights light my driveway and garage. I back in and close the door.... I enter and exit thru the entry in the garage and never empty handed...

I remember Miami Gardens, Miramar, Pines, Cooper City, Davie....from the 70's and the area was riding a reputation of those days....and those days are gone!

As the econonmy worsens, these opportunistic crimes will continue more often and greater in scope as the area has become a culture clash of people from countries where driveway crime, bank robberies and home invasions are everyday occurences.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Any comment on the idiots who think they are safe (or safer) because they live in a gated community? I mean, are these people really that stupid or is it just that they never think about these things?
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

It's not just in Florida. There are a lot of these kinds of robberies in all states.

You always need to look out for people on foot or suspicious cars when leaving/arriving from/to your house.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links