5-Year-Old Boy Fatally Shoots 4-Year-Old Sister

This is a discussion on 5-Year-Old Boy Fatally Shoots 4-Year-Old Sister within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 5-Year-Old Boy Fatally Shoots 4-Year-Old Sister Police: Boy Took Father's Gun From Bookcase INDIANAPOLIS -- A 5-year-old boy fatally shot his 4-year-old sister with a ...

Thread: 5-Year-Old Boy Fatally Shoots 4-Year-Old Sister

Police: Boy Took Father's Gun From Bookcase

INDIANAPOLIS -- A 5-year-old boy fatally shot his 4-year-old sister with a semiautomatic handgun he had taken from a bookcase to play with, police said.

The shooting happened just after 10 a.m. Sunday in the 6100 block of Massachusetts Avenue, on Indianapolis' northeast side.

Police found Makayla Booher on the floor of an upstairs bedroom with a gunshot wound to the head. The gun was found on the floor nearby, police said.

"I just heard a pow. I asked my wife, 'Did you hear that?' and she said, 'Yeah, I heard it, too,'" said neighbor Billy Adell.

Officers said the boy had pulled a chair up to a bookcase and grabbed the gun, which belonged to father, James Booher, 24, from the top shelf.

Police said the boy took the gun upstairs, pointed it at his sister and pulled the trigger.

Adell and his wife said they saw medics and police race inside the home and that an officer came out with the girl in his arms.

"There was like a flannel wrapped around (her) and (she) was bleeding from the head," Adell said.

Makayla Booher was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said the boy couldn't have known the consequences of pointing a gun at his sister and pulling the trigger.

The boy's father, a 15-year-old stepsister and an aunt were home at the time, according to officers. Police said James Booher and the children's mother are separated.

Child Protective Services took the boy and his stepsister into custody. James Booher could face a neglect charge.

That is just so sad.

Police said the boy couldn't have known the consequences of pointing a gun at his sister and pulling the trigger.
    I have to disagree with that. It is possible to teach a child the danger of firearms at that age. Mine have been taught since they were younger than that. That being said, I hope they do charge the father with something for not making sure his children could not gain access to his weapon.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Unless kids are taught gun safety then they don't understand the consequences of what could happen and treat guns as if they are toys,Dad is totally negligent and responsible for keeping a loaded gun where a child could access it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What a tragedy. Throw the book at him.
    My child was about that age when her training began. Safety and "don't touch it" education should be required in all schools. Children watch TV and develop some very bad misconceptions about firearms.

Gun-proof the child...Eddie Eagle can certainly help with this...

Still a sad story...everyone is hurt...no winners!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links