BAD- Man shot by burglar with his own gun [merge]

This is a discussion on BAD- Man shot by burglar with his own gun [merge] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Kearns Shooting Victim Bashes Gunman During TV Interview Kearns Shooting Victim Bashes Gunman During TV Interview Written by: Doug G. Ware Email: dware@kutv2.com Last Update: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD- Man shot by burglar with his own gun [merge]

BAD- Man shot by burglar with his own gun [merge]

Kearns Shooting Victim Bashes Gunman During TV Interview
    Kearns Shooting Victim Bashes Gunman During TV Interview
    Written by: Doug G. Ware
    Email: dware@kutv2.com
    Last Update: 2:42 pm

KEARNS - A man wounded by a burglar during a home invasion Thursday morning talked to 2News about the incident -- in which he was shot with his own gun.

Chad Morley said he found the burglar inside of his home at approximately 9:00 a.m. Thursday after noticing some of his property stacked up by a side door.

Morley decided to go inside the house, located near 6000 West Eaton Way, and retrieve his handgun to fend off the intruder. Moments later, the two men started wrestling for control and Morley was eventually shot in the arm.

"We both fought over the gun and he hit me in the head," Morley said. "My hands were just completely covered in blood." (Video)

"We both had a hold of the gun and (he) turned it toward me... and it was so slippery from blood, I couldn't hang on to it," he continued. "Then I saw his finger go to the trigger and... that's when it hit me and knocked me over a loveseat."

Morley said he was over at his father's house nearby when the burglar must have entered. Upon returning, and seeing the items stacked near the door, he said it was clear something was wrong.

"I knew something was going on. I catch shoplifters for a living, so there's a lot of people that would probably like to know a lot about me," Morley said. "So I always carry my gun with me... constantly, it's right by me."

"I didn't waste any time. I just grabbed my gun... I half-cocked it and made sure there was a bullet in the chamber. I was prepared to shoot him," he added.

After the struggle, the burglar managed to get away from the home and flee into the neighborhood. He has not yet been captured.

"In a situation like that, it's either you or them. And people like that don't have a care for anything and would rather steal people's merchandise that they worked their tail off for," Morley said. "They would rather be lazy... and sell it and make their living that way."

Morley received a gunshot wound to the arm and a laceration to his forehead. When asked if he would have handled the situation differently in a do-over, Morley said he probably would have shot first -- and asked questions later.

"Honestly... probably shoot him before he had a chance to take my weapon away and then putting me in 10-times more danger," he said.

"It's not something you want to get in front of a news camera and say, 'oh I should have shot him'... but it could've been a lot worse for me," Morley added.

The burglar is described as a Hispanic man, about 6'0" tall and weighing between 165-175 pounds. Morley said the suspect wore a baseball cap and a blue bandana around the lower part of his face.

Anyone with information in this case is encouraged to contact authorities.
    At least the victim is alive to talk about it. The video tells a lot more, but the bottom line is he could have backed off and called the police when he saw something wasn't right and if he didn't have that opportunity, you never let anyone get close enough to take your gun away from you. Also, if you draw your gun, you should be ready (condition red) to use it immediately...but it appears that his gun was in his house and he had to go into the house to get it...what if the burglar had already found it???
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

2. Remove Ads

Morley decided to go inside the house, located near 6000 West Eaton Way, and retrieve his handgun to fend off the intruder.

"So I always carry my gun with me... constantly, it's right by me."

Those two statements contradict each other.

"I didn't waste any time. I just grabbed my gun... I half-cocked it and made sure there was a bullet in the chamber. I was prepared to shoot him," he added.

Half Cocked? Bullet? This guy is an idiot. As previously mentioned, he let the BG get close enough to wrestle for the gun. Double idiot.

I live in the Salt Lake area and saw the news report. He stated that next time he was going to just shoot. Man I hope there is no next time, he just stated to maybe 200,000 viewers what he would do. Not to smart.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

VIP Member
    Am I missing it in the article...does the criminal now have his firearm? If so, that's not good!

your life is on the line

when it is your life on the line DO NOT HESITATE. check out this news story about a man who did hesitate and it nearly cost him his life.
    Video Library - Channel 2 News Utah
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Wow, this guy's lucky!

I know he's the victim, but he screwed up in so many ways that he should really be dead right now....

.....begins with him entering the house, unarmed when he knew it was in the process of being burglarized. Then he doesn't know if his gun is loaded or not and has to "check". Fails to control the situation once he is armed. Fails to retain his weapon.....and finally, and my personal favorite, having said that he works in loss prevention and is concerned about people knowing where he is, conducts a TV interview at his own home.....the location of which is broadcast.

I'm glad he's ok, but......

Went unarmed into a house in the hopes of reaching his weapon first. Lesson: keep it on you. Not doing so almost got him killed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Wow this is a awesome news video. Over the years of being an LEO I would play out scenarios in my head (what if this or what if that) on most of the calls I answered. It keep me alive during my career. I always tell my students if you pull your weapon and are not willing to use it; DON"T CARRY. You give the BG just what he will use against you.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I guess he figured he would handle it like somebody was just shoplifting his stuff,he's a pro he does it all the time.Catching shoplifters is a lot different than defending you're life he is lucky the guy didn't kill him,some people think that if they point a gun at somebody they are just gonna give up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I took a weapon retention/disarming class a few weeks ago in case a would-be corpse gets the jump on me. I spent hours getting my bent, pried, plied, and tossed around but I learned lessons that I wont soon forget.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    Half Cocked? Bullet? This guy is an idiot. As previously mentioned, he let the BG get close enough to wrestle for the gun. Double idiot.
    Agreed on all points, I was thinking the exact same things.
    Also agreed he would have been most wise and effective to not enter the home but to remain outside and to dial 911.

He played a very risky game of enter to arm himself and to then go alone to search for and engage the BG. And he unfortunately he lost.

He goes on to state;

"I knew something was going on. I catch shoplifters for a living, so there's a lot of people that would probably like to know a lot about me," Morley said. "So I always carry my gun with me... constantly, it's right by me."
    Not quite.
    His handgun was not on his person carried but kept inside his home, useless to him when he's outside. :\

Anyway another good post with a lesson for us all to learn which is; Don't be this guy.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

In addition to the good points mentioned already: If you don't have a handgun with you, it should be locked up. There is a lot of talk about laws requiring gun safes and such. Regardless what the law says, in my opinion a gun should be locked up if it is not with you.

Personally, I lock my guns overnight in an easy accessible safe. One upstairs, one downstairs. I don't know about you, but if someone breaks into my house at 3am, it will probably take me 5-10 minutes to wake up and get oriented. This is about the time I need the safe to hold up to the bad guy.

I lock up my gun just for this scenario (and not for kids, which I don't have... and if I would have them, I would hope they are smart enough to eventually defeat the safe... so educating them would be my "safety device" in that case).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Personally, I lock my guns overnight in an easy accessible safe. One upstairs, one downstairs. I don't know about you, but if someone breaks into my house at 3am, it will probably take me 5-10 minutes to wake up and get oriented. This is about the time I need the safe to hold up to the bad guy.
    Mine are only locked if I'm NOT home. If I'm home, it's usually right by my side on my coffee table or nightstand.

The guy in the story sounds like a moron. He did just about everything wrong. He's lucky to be alive.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    Mine are only locked if I'm NOT home. If I'm home, it's usually right by my side on my coffee table or nightstand.
    that counts too ;-)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    What a maroon. For a while there I thought I was reading an Onion story.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links