Suspect fatally shot in theft, police say

This is a discussion on Suspect fatally shot in theft, police say within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Suspect fatally shot in theft, police say Suspect fatally shot in theft, police say Claudia Koerner - May. 9, 2008 12:00 AM The Arizona Republic ...

Thread: Suspect fatally shot in theft, police say

Claudia Koerner - May. 9, 2008 12:00 AM

The Arizona Republic
    A Phoenix homeowner who interrupted a car thief early Thursday fatally shot the suspect, telling police he opened fire when the man attempted to run him over, authorities said.

The homeowner said he heard his truck start, went outside to investigate with a gun and saw a man driving away, police spokesman Sgt. Joel Tranter said.

The driver then made a U-turn and drove toward the homeowner, who was on the sidewalk. At that point, the homeowner fired several shots at the suspect, Tranter said.

It marked at least the fourth time in the past two months that Valley residents have shot at a thief trying to swipe their vehicle or property, prompting police to reissue admonitions that claims of self-defense in a shooting will be closely scrutinized. "People need to realize that each incidence in which a homeowner uses lethal force is a case-by-case review," Tranter said.

The incident Thursday occurred about 12:45 a.m. at a home in the 3000 block of West Flynn Lane, just south of Glendale Avenue. Neither the homeowner nor the suspect was identified. After being struck, the suspect lost control and crashed into a wall; he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police are consulting with the Maricopa County Attorney's Office on the investigation, Tranter said.

Arizonans have the right to defend themselves, but Tranter cautioned that using force can potentially put themselves and bystanders at risk.
    Since March 20, three other suspected thieves have been shot around the Valley, one of them fatally. The deadly shooting occurred April 16, when police say Eric Jameson, 38, was fatally shot by a central Mesa homeowner during a break-in.

The homeowner confronted Jameson, and they struggled. During the fight, the homeowner got his hands on Jameson's handgun and shot him, investigators said.

And on April 25, a man shot a suspected burglar near 43rd Avenue just south of Bell Road after chasing him down in a car. The shooter was charged with aggravated assault after police determined that his use of force was unjustified.

"You can go from being a victim to a suspect in a very short amount of time," Tranter said.

Instead, the Police Department advises people who suspect a crime to call 911 and, Tranter said, to act as "good witnesses."

2. Remove Ads

It marked at least the fourth time in the past two months that Valley residents have shot at a thief trying to swipe their vehicle or property, prompting police to reissue admonitions ...
    If the homeowner's statements are true, then he was shooting to defend his life, which the felon was attempting to take. It wasn't about a bloody piece of property! (Well, actually it was ... about avoiding getting his own blood on his own property via a felon's criminal actions.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

B52
    I saw this on the news last night, crazy. I wish they would steal my car, I want a new one. To me it sounded like he was defending himself because the perp was trying to run him over. If it were me, I would have just let the fool steal my 4runner, call the police, then start my insurance claim. My life is worth more than my car...Now if they would have tried to break in my house, they would be munching on 12 gauge 00 buck!

The version I heard was he went outside, saw the suspects get in his car, and then went back in and got his gun, and went back out and confronted him.

Either way...I feel sorry for the truck.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

[QUOTE=AZUSMC22;718597"You can go from being a victim to a suspect in a very short amount of time," Tranter said.[/QUOTE]

I'd settle for being an "alive suspect" and being "judged" by a jury of my peers....seems those who've gone before me in Flor-DUH have fared well so far......

There's a big difference between my truck driving away...as opposed to it driving towards me.

This first story really bothers me...getting the windshield and paint job fixed, what a hassle...

In addigion...
    Three other BG's are stopped from their part-time work?

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Maybe eventually the badguys will stop stealing stuff.

Nah....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Heck, they probably weren't even stealing it for the truck itself but for the gasoline in the tank!!

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Well, the police sure feel justified in shooting if a suspect is driving a car generally towards them, or in some cases away from them.

15 year old car or SUV with 100k, take it . My 2002 Dodge Ram diesel, I am not going to get the $$$ to replace it (well, not going to get enough $$$ to replace either vehicle, there will be some mental debate on that one).

By confronting, I will be politely asking them what they are doing in MY truck. Where is goes from there is entirely up to the individual sitting in my truck, and I will respond as needed.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links