Off Duty Marine Foils Robbery with Sig .357! - Page 2

Off Duty Marine Foils Robbery with Sig .357!

This is a discussion on Off Duty Marine Foils Robbery with Sig .357! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chasing a shoplifter is not a big thing. It escalated to the point of pulling his weapon when the BG threatened him in the parking ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off Duty Marine Foils Robbery with Sig .357!

Chasing a shoplifter is not a big thing. It escalated to the point of pulling his weapon when the BG threatened him in the parking lot. I thought he did well and used force equal to the situation. We are talking combat hardened marine here not a once a year arm chair weenie here.

No I would not want to chance a shoplifter but I am a fifty-six year old disabled man. If it was more serious, like seeing the original assault I would be much more inclined it intervene.

Just my thoughts
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

The Marine wasn’t chasing just a shoplifter; he was chasing someone that had just assaulted two people. The Marine was not in loss prevention, is not held by any store/insurance company policies, and apparently was not charged with any crime, but rather heralded by the responding authorities, understood his capabilities and responsibilities (apparently) and acted on that.
    Yep, he could have remained "safe" and done the "smart thing" and stayed inside and "been a good witness." Maybe he shouldn't carry a gun either, because "guns won't solve anything." (Insert big eye roll here)
    Maybe we should all stay home and lock the doors? It will be much safer and is tactically sound.
    Given the same set of circumstances, I would hope that more Americans would stand up to the criminal and not stand idly by.
    Certainly do what you are capable of doing.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

The Marine would have gone to jail here in California, and the bad guy would have been let go!

Good point Otis, and one that many of us forget from time to time. Many forumites here and elsewhere comment on actual SD situations and only consider the laws and attitudes prevelant where they personally are located. So Californians and New Yorkers will often read an account such as this and see only the liability involved for the good guy, while most Texans and Floridians are likely to think "Bravo!" instead. Most of the southern states aren't nearly as uptight about SD as the rest of the country. I was stationed near Augusta GA for a little over two years and found that they were pretty open minded about guns and SD for the most part. One of my friend's had a burgular break into his house while he and a roommate were at home. They held the guy at gunpoint until the police arrived. All the police did was thank them for holding the guy. Every gunshop I visited had employees packing openly. The indoor pistol range I visited on a weekly basis had a full-auto H&K G3 propped up in the corner behind the counter in case anyone decided to rent a gun for a shooting spree. It's a bit of a different world down there compared to what some of us are used to (and it's a better one if you ask me, I just wish the weather weren't so damn hot). Just some perspective for our 'city-slickers' to consider.

Oh, and "Semper Fi" marine. Here's hoping the courts do their job and keep that whacko off of the streets for the rest of his natural life.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Moderator
    This guy could have gotten himself in trouble because what if he would have had to fire if the guy felt threaten by him and pulled out. I just think bad move Marine know which battles to fight. This guy was just cocky and waiting for some action. This guy could have gotten himself in trouble because what if he would have had to fire if the guy felt threaten by him and pulled out. I just think bad move Marine know which battles to fight. This guy was just cocky and waiting for some action. Stuff like this makes us good CCW's look like people just waiting to plug somebody.
    I dont think so.

I'd be willing to bet that he was just doing what he considered to be the "right"thing. He saw a situation and he acted. While others worry about the legal ramifications or only their personal saftey, he ACTED.

His actions took care of the situation and prevented the idiot from doing further harm to anyone else. Not only did he witness a FELONY, (assault)he expierienced it whan he was sprayed. Producing a TAZER with the intent to use it on someone is a FELONY. As I already stated, in the sensible parts of this country, it would have been ruled a GOOD SHOOT if it had escalated into that.

In the states that value the rights of the criminal vs. the rights of the citizen, all bets are off...

Stuff like this makes us good CCW's look like people just waiting to plug somebody.
    Only if you really think that anyone wants to "plug" somebody at the first chance they get.
    :chairshot
    :1saufen:

I dont. :thumbsdow

If I had seen the event, rather than critize his actions because he had the balls to act when others cowered in fear, I would have shook his hand and bought him lunch.

The Marine is being praised for having stopped a violent criminal. He may have thought it was just a property crime at the time (shoplifting), but the perp was spraying everyone with pepper spray, which is considered a weapon in some states. I think that elevates the crime.

I do wonder how his actions would have been received and portrayed, had he been a civilian with CCW, and not a Marine.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Don't mean to be a stickler, but we are taught in the Marines that we are never "off duty". I think it stems from the fact that if we do something stupid or brave like this for instance, the only description that they'll use for us is "Marine".

Look at Ozwald, there's always a reference to him being a Marine.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

oswald

oswald was just following orders when he shot the president. remember oswald was a marine first then a marine embasy guard and stationed at the embasy in moscow during the cold war. you dont get to that position unless you are the cream of the crop in the marines very hard job to get. oswald was working with the CIA when he shot kennedy! and all that propaganda about him being a commie was just supposed to be a cover up then jack ruby stepped in and shot him and the cia didnt have to answer for it. oswald was a fall guy for the cia.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_marine
    oswald was just following orders when he shot the president. remember oswald was a marine first then a marine embasy guard and stationed at the embasy in moscow during the cold war. you dont get to that position unless you are the cream of the crop in the marines very hard job to get. oswald was working with the CIA when he shot kennedy! and all that propaganda about him being a commie was just supposed to be a cover up then jack ruby stepped in and shot him and the cia didnt have to answer for it. oswald was a fall guy for the cia.
    Gee all the books I've read say that Oswald was a mediocre marine. Barely scored marksman, so I very much doubt that he actually pulled a trigger. Alienated everyone at bootcamp and in his unit with his marxist crap.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

oswald

thats just propaganda remember he was a embassy guard in moscow probaby one of the hardest assignments to get at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball
    Doncaster almost blew him away for stealing. Hall was not a threat, he was leaving the store. Sure he sprayed Doncaster on the way out, but he didn't stick around to accost him.
    Doncaster did not almost blow him away just because he pointed a pistol at him. The crime was theft and assault. He assaulted Doncaster AGAIN when chased. Doncaster only pulled his gun when the guy assaukted him for the second time. The BG committed the crtime becauyse he knew no one would try to stop him. But he was wrong this time. There are volumes written about how criminals ply their trade on victims that are not perceived to be a threat and in locations that do not pose a threat to them. If the citizenry is willing and able to fight back, the criminals have less opportunity.

Doncaster did the right thing, too bad so many people see it the opposite way. Perhaps they will understand better some day when they need someones help.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links