Off Duty Marine Foils Robbery with Sig .357!

Off Duty Marine Foils Robbery with Sig .357!

This is a discussion on Off Duty Marine Foils Robbery with Sig .357! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Marine recounts role in capture of Wal-Mart suspect (Off-duty Marine holds assailant at gunpoint) Statesboro Herald ^ | October 17, 2005 | HOLLI DEAL BRAGG ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Duty Marine Foils Robbery with Sig .357!

Thumbs up Off Duty Marine Foils Robbery with Sig .357!

Marine recounts role in capture of Wal-Mart suspect (Off-duty Marine holds assailant at gunpoint)
    Statesboro Herald ^ | October 17, 2005 | HOLLI DEAL BRAGG

Tucker man in the right place at the right time for Friday heroics

Cpl. Kevin Doncaster, a 29-year-old Marine reservist from Tucker, Ga., was in the right place at the right time Friday night when he stopped a man who attacked a woman in a Wal-Mart bathroom, holding him at gunpoint until police arrived.

What was Doncaster doing in Statesboro's Wal-Mart? What was he doing with a gun? And why did he chase Stephen Mark Hall into the parking lot after Hall sprayed him and a store manager with pepper spray?

On his way to Savannah for a weekend getaway to escape work-related stress, Doncaster decided to stop at the department store for groceries.

A situation arose requiring management assistance, and Doncaster was speaking to a female manager around 6:22 p.m. when Hall sped past, spraying them both with pepper spray.

"I figured he was stealing something," Doncaster said. He dropped his purchases and sped after Hall.

Unaware of what had happened, Doncaster chased Hall into the parking lot and was sprayed again.

Having gone through extensive military training, the spray did not affect him like it would others."I've been gassed in the Marine Corps," he said. "It's part of the training, and I recognized it for what it was."

He did not know Hall, carrying three pairs of handcuffs, a collapsible baton, a knife, a Taser, and brass knuckles, had just accosted a 41-year-old grandmother in the Wal-Mart bathroom at the rear of the store.

Hall stunned the woman with the Taser and used a knife to force her into a stall. The woman fought, according to Statesboro Police Det. Rob Bryan, keeping the attacker away from her two-year-old granddaughter.

Customers and store employees, hearing the victim's screams, rescued her and the child, but Hall used pepper spray and threatened them with the Taser, and escaped.

He sprayed everyone he met as he ran, according to Statesboro Police Capt. L.C. Williams, and that's when Doncaster became involved. Catching up to Hall, Doncaster reacted as he "tried to Tase me and spray me again." He pulled a Glock .357 Sig handgun from his waistband and ordered Hall to drop the weapons and get face-down.

"I immediately pulled my weapon and told him if he sprayed me again, he'd be injured."

"I have a license to carry a concealed weapon," he said. And the reason he had the gun with him was "I always take it with me instead of leaving it in the car where it can get stolen."

Hall refused Doncaster's orders, and stood there with his spray and the Taser, "catching his breath," he said.

Hall argued back and forth with Doncaster, who kept the Glock trained on the offender. Hall taunted him, daring the Marine corporal to shoot him.

"He really wasn't expecting anyone to have a weapon except for himself," Doncaster said. "From that point on it was pretty much a standoff." Doncaster kept Hall at gunpoint for about 10 minutes, until Statesboro Police Det. Robert Bryan and Advanced Patrol Officer Ken Scott arrived and took over.

"The detective patted me on the shoulder to let me know he was behind me and said 'you're good, brother.'"

Then, Doncaster "disarmed my weapon and put it on the hood of a car. I got out my ID and concealed weapons permit and just waited," he said.

Then, Bryan asked "Who are you?" he said. "He shook my hand and thanked me."

So did an unknown bystander, Doncaster said. "I was upset, you know, after the adrenaline took over during the (incident) and then I realized I almost had to shoot this guy. "He (the unidentified bystander) came out of nowhere and calmed me down, asked if there was anything he could do for me."

The realization that he might have had to shoot Hall was unnerving, he said. Having been to Iraq, Thailand, Korea, and Okinawa, Doncaster has faced some hairy situations, but coming face to face with an armed civilian still rattled the Marine - after the fact.

"I personally thought he was on some kind of drugs," he said of Hall. "I've never seen anybody not follow my commands ... He kept coming at me and wouldn't listen."

When Doncaster saw the arsenal of weapons Hall had on his person, he was shocked, he said.

Sunday, Doncaster had enjoyed his weekend in Savannah and was on his way back to Tucker when he stopped in Statesboro for a bite to eat.

Currently on inactive reserve status with the Marines, he works in Ellenwood, Ga. as an operations engineer with PanAmSat. He is married with no children. "I'm sort of scared to raise children in this world right now," he said. Doncaster said police told him the victim, who remains unidentified, wants to thank him in person whens he recovers. Bryan said she was not seriously injured physically, but is "very shaken up."

"I hope she does pursue meeting me," Doncaster said. "I'd like to help in any way I can, and help her get closure. I'll be glad to come back (to Statesboro) and meet her."

Hall was charged with several offenses, including aggravated assault and "multiple cases of battery," and more charges are to follow today, Bryan said.

Hall was charged in August, 2004, with two counts of theft by taking motor vehicle at Ogeechee Technical College.

According to information from the North Carolina Department of Corrections, he was charged in a Sept. 1999 incident with "attack with a deadly weapon, inflicting serious injury." He was convicted in April 2000, then released Dec. 2001.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Endowment Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Kudos to the marine

VIP Member (Retired Staff) Array P95Carry's Avatar
    I'll second that Bud - an instance where intervention went well and was needed.

Semper Fidelis - marine.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    I'll second (or is it third?) that. Semper Fi Marine.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

VIP Member
    Bravo for the Marine.

"The detective patted me on the shoulder to let me know he was behind me and said 'you're good, brother.'"
    I wish we could make this contagious.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    Great story, and good job!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

Nothing quite like words like this coming from an LEO backing you up :) I've even seen it on EMS calls, and boy does it give you a nice warm feeling in your stomach
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    He isn't a cop, his life wasn't threatened, the victime wasn't a relative.

He obviously did something horribly wrong: he got directly involved.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Not you, huh tanksoilder?? Since when is it not ok if the vic is not a relative. Would a half sister be ok?? Howz 'bout a grandmother in-law.?? I will(with some thought)just help someone cuz it's the right thing to do !! --------------

In the article it mentions that
    "I figured he was stealing something," Doncaster said. He dropped his purchases and sped after Hall.

Doncaster thought that he was just a shoplifter. So he runs after him and winds up pulling his weapon.

Let's just pretend that Hall was a shoplifter and not the POS he really was. Doncaster almost blew him away for stealing. Hall was not a threat, he was leaving the store. Sure he sprayed Doncaster on the way out, but he didn't stick around to accost him. Doncaster lucked out that this guy was a pervert POS that needs to be shot.

How many of you want to put yourself in a position of chasing a shoplifter and shooting him over stolen goods? I don't.

OMT-This scenario was played out by Doncaster with Hall as a shoplifter, not an armed robber jacking you out in the parking lot.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I'm tired of being told I'm not a cop. Hence my post.

I suppose I should have put a nice, bold SARCASM in there somewhere.

Not you, huh tanksoilder??
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I would not chase a person out of a store into a dark(or otherwise) parking lot that I knew had just swiped some Wally World junk stuff except to follow and see if I could get a discription,tag number,etc. But a person in distress is another matter.IMO I feel(within reason and given the circumstances) we should come to the aid of our fellow man. No,not go in with gunz a blazin',but perhaps try to render some aid to the person being assulted,attacked,beaten,stabbed,etc. If the BG turns on me should I be made to feel that somehow I screwed up for trying to help. Not me!! By "not you" I simply ment that you feel like allot of people feel nowdays. That is your opinion. That's all. I would (try to)help,where you would not. That doesn't make me right. That just is a difference of opinion. I would surely come to your aid in a situation that I felt was warrented. But that's just me.---I have never nor would I ever,tell somebody that "your not a cop". I hate that saying. We all know who's a LEO and who's not. Frankly,I would much rather have one of you come to my aid than some LEO's anyway.(But that's just me.)--------

Pure suposition on my part, based on a modicum of experiance. I think The marine chased the pervert because he was assalted and witnessed the assualt of the manager. He did not pull his gun until he was assaulted again and threatened with the taser.
    And no, I don't think any normal person wants to kill over shoplifted goods. It doens't mean we should ignore that particular crime though, does it?
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Lead Moderator
    ON THE OTHER HAND...

if you are carrying a weapon and you get sprayed, you could articulate that you feared losing control of your weapon. When the the guy that sprays you disobeys commands and advances towards you with a knife or a taser more than likey it would be ruled a good shoot...

The Marine could have gotten himself into trouble. First, once I got out of the service I did some time as store Loss prevention and it was strict policy that if someone was running out of the store you did not give chase, just note the description and call PD. This guy could have gotten himself in trouble because what if he would have had to fire if the guy felt threaten by him and pulled out. I just think bad move Marine know which battles to fight. This guy was just cocky and waiting for some action. Stuff like this makes us good CCW's look like people just waiting to plug somebody.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links