Gunfire spoils birthday party at Miramar home

This is a discussion on Gunfire spoils birthday party at Miramar home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fire up the party! South Florida Sun-Sentinel 3:49 PM EDT, May 11, 2008 MIRAMAR - Gunfire erupted at a birthday party early Sunday, sending two ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunfire spoils birthday party at Miramar home

Fire up the party!

South Florida Sun-Sentinel 3:49 PM EDT, May 11, 2008

MIRAMAR - Gunfire erupted at a birthday party early Sunday, sending two people to the hospital, police spokesman Bill Robertson said.

The shooting in the 14800 block of Southwest 54th Street stemmed from a party guest trying to get a drink, Robertson said. About 4:30 a.m., guest India Nevada Footman tried to go into the home's kitchen to get a drink, but a man there refused to let the 21-year-old inside and instead punched Footman in the head.

Footman went to an upstairs bedroom to get her friend Brandy Dudley, with whom she had traveled from their homes in the Orlando area. The women grabbed their bags and were about to leave when a second man punched Footman.

That's when Dudley, 27, pulled out a gun, Robertson said. Two men rushed at Dudley and she fired.

That caused a third man to grab a gun from the second floor and shoot at Dudley.

Dudley was struck in the hip, Robertson said. The party's disc jockey, Rohan Omar McLaughlin, was struck in the chest, but police do not yet know by which shooter.

A wounded Dudley managed to leave the house, to get help from a neighbor in The Reserve at Huntington community. Meanwhile, two males chased down Footman.

Police are still interviewing witnesses, including the party's host, Latoya Douglas, 29, to get answers, Robertson said. About 50 people were at the party, he said.

Paramedics took Dudley and McLaughlin, 26, to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood. Their injuries were not life-threatening.

No arrests have been made.

Well, at least it wasn't a kid's party with ponies and face painting clowns.

This shows once again, alcohol and firearms don't mix.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

What a mess.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Idiots at a birthday party?

Twenty years in prison (10, 20, Life?)...for a temper tantrum and a few beers at a party...they belong in prison.

Stay armed...don't party in Miramar...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All that over a Drink?

What the heck is going on?

geez
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

Per the statements and read of the news report Footman being the victim twice over and Dudley aggressed against with threatening action (disparity of force) her use of a firearm in defense of herself and her associate was justifiable.
    Subsequent shots by the unnamed male third person was also justifiable under general Florida Castle laws.

In theory neither shooter should be charged for anything and the trio of aggressors including the two males who punched Footman should all be charged with assault and battery.

An interesting article with a not all that odd turn of events.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    THIS IS NUTS.........easier to punch someone and shoot someone than to talk it out
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

If you posters knew the area you'd get it....Huntington was billed as a high end residential/professional neighborhood....the lax lending and real estate market that Florida had allowed many that otherwise were marginal homeowners to stake claim in places where crimes like this would not have occurred.

Again, like the SoFlo gang situation, we're dealing with the cultural Caribbean clash in SoFlo now...with hot tempers, alcohol and firearms mixed in. Crimes like these are happening much more often than reported....

I give the OP accolades for his persistance at getting the news out....keep up the great work!

BAC
    "Spoils"? I don't understand the title at all... If there wasn't gunfire at my birthday I'd suspect faulty ammo...

-B

Sounds like a normal party and they are all fine upstanding citizens and don't have any underlying problems or anything and things just went terribly wrong. None of them seem like criminal types or anything like that. :)
    And this kind of stuff is very unusual for South Florida, etc.
    Just another day in the world of gimme gimme, gotta have my own way.
    Actually, more shocking than the little birthday party is the fact that none of us are really shocked by reading about that kind of thing. This again shows the downward spiral of Western Civilization.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

why did some man punch a woman i the head to begin with? not just for trying to get a drink. lots of unknowns here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    The women grabbed their bags and were about to leave when a second man punched Footman.
    Sounds very strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFloAuthor View Post
    I give the OP accolades for his persistance at getting the news out....keep up the great work!
    Thanks. It's sad a state of affairs we're in - just spreading the word.

I'm out or at a party just about every weekend and wonder if and when I get caught up in a fire fight will I know who the "good" shooter is.

For now my default is, if you point a gun or shoot at me, I'm taking you out

VIP Member
    Yes, I agree we don't know the full story yet; not that that excuses punching a woman in the head....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links