Ugly:Teenager with an AK-47

This is a discussion on Ugly:Teenager with an AK-47 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNEWS.COM HOME > U.S. Police: Conn. Teen Charged With Attempted Murder After Firing on Basketball Players With AK-47 Wednesday, May 14, 2008 BROOKLYN, Conn. — ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugly:Teenager with an AK-47

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Ugly:Teenager with an AK-47

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > U.S.

Police: Conn. Teen Charged With Attempted Murder After Firing on Basketball Players With AK-47
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008

BROOKLYN, Conn. — State police say a 16-year-old boy has been charged with attempted murder after he fired an assault rifle at people playing basketball behind a Brooklyn church.

State police say the teen shooter had an AK-47 rifle, but was subdued by the basketball players who rushed the gunman and wrestled him to the ground Tuesday night.

Police say the shooting occurred shortly after the teen argued with the young people playing on the basketball court behind Our Lady of Lasalette Church.

Troopers say the boy allegedly bragged about having an AK-47 rifle and returned 10 minutes later dressed in black and opened fire.

The teen is being held on $250,000 bond on several charges.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

Ok I'll Bite where does a 16 yr old ,Even in Texas get a AK-47?, where is Dad or Mom?.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    Ok I'll Bite where does a 16 yr old ,Even in Texas get a AK-47?, where is Dad or Mom?.
    Ditto. Mom and Dad (if there is one) are accountable. The few screw ups give all responsible gun owners a bad name.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

I doubt whether mom and dad should be accountable. He has a brain. He is 16, not 2.
    His punishment should be having an AK-47 fired at HIM, but this will not happen. Typical stupidity that he comes back dressed in black. A real bad bad man, and brave too :)
    Unfortunately he is still a juvenile til he is 17, our would be in my state. I would give him 25 years minimum mandatory just for that one incident, prior record or not.
    But we are afraid to deal with these violent young thugs.
    Does anyone have any idea why we are afraid to deal with violent criminals?
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    The incident occurred in CT, not TX.

But that's still a valid question. And how do we know that it is, in fact, an AK-47? To the uninformed news media, everything that looks like an AK is an AK.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

yeah, where are mom and dad? I agree with Capt. Crunch, how do we know it is an Ak-47? Might just be a WASR with a 10 round mag for I cannot imagine how a group of basketball players subdued him if he had a larger cap magazine.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

If the very first question is where did he get it, then we immediately take the focus off of him and onto someone else, once again refusing to blame the one responsible, as we look around and see who can share it with him.
    He is the shooter. Mom and Dad did not shoot at anyone. They may be partly responsible but the shooter take the blame, folks.
    He is to blame.
    He is 16, not 3.
    No matter where he got it, he used it.
    I assume he knows right from wrong.
    We are afraid to properly punish him.
    Proper punishment would be 25 years in state prison for using a firearm like that, whether an AK-47, an Ithaca pump shotgun, or a .22
    25 years mandatory minimum for firing a firearm of any kind, whether anyone got hurt or not.
    But we will not address the problem directly. We will sidestep it to the point where it will be the governor's fault for allowing firearms in his or her state.
    This is how far we have sunk as a society.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

If we only knew right from wrong like we used to :)
    Nowadays it takes us months to figure it out.
    Generations preceding us took minutes or even seconds.

It could have come from anywhere, not necessarily from the gun cabinet at home. In the past, I was offered a full auto AK for $250 from a former associate. I declined, of course, but it should be no surprise that illegal/non-traceable weapons are cheaper (and almost as readily available) as legal weapons.

But available or not, or for sale in a drugstore, this young thug cannot evade responsibility by focusing on where the gun came from.
    My question is : Who used it?

The question we should study carefully, as a society, but we never do, is this: How is it that a young person like this does such a thing?
    That question is never asked, and never being asked, will naturally never be answered, and we have incident after incident like this, with no answers.
    Because there are no questions.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    where are are parents here ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Once again, we focus on the parents, as in previous posts....hmmmmm.
    Disregard my original question---I am beginning to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Once again, we focus on the parents, as in previous posts....hmmmmm.
    Disregard my original question---I am beginning to understand.
    While I've read your posts and wholeheartedly agree that the blame should be on the perp, I do think asking "what's up with the parents?" is a legit question as well. I agree our society is so happy to blame whoever it is most convenient to blame while avoiding the real, tough issues. I do however believe that good parenting can be scarce and that has a huge impact on the type of people growing up in our society today. In many ways the family is the base unit in society and where responsible parenting is lacking there likely will be problems.

That said, I agree, throw the book at the punk. He is responsible for his actions and should be held accountable and should suffer the consequences.

Take care,

nasm

Edited to add: Also, at 16 I definitely had the means to arm myself and take out multiple basketball teams, but I never did. That is because of who I am and was. How my parents raised me had a huge impact on who I am, including my morals, self-restraint, etc... Everyone's parents/guardians have an impact on who they will become

The question about the parents is fine, if it is secondary, but it has been asked here as a primary question, so I withdraw my original question and go to other threads :) No questions about shooter, equals no answers. We do things after the fact, in every single aspect of our society. Very very seldom do we try to prevent occurrences or study problems. We react. After the fact, by definition.
    So as long as the question is primarily about parents, and re-read prior posts here, then my original question, just disregard that one about the shooter and all that :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links