Deputy on motorcycle tracks down road-rage gunman in Deerfield

This is a discussion on Deputy on motorcycle tracks down road-rage gunman in Deerfield within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There was a heated discussion on a motorcycle board I frequent about the need to carry while riding a motorcycle. By Joel Marino | South ...

Thread: Deputy on motorcycle tracks down road-rage gunman in Deerfield

Deputy on motorcycle tracks down road-rage gunman in Deerfield

There was a heated discussion on a motorcycle board I frequent about the need to carry while riding a motorcycle.

By Joel Marino | South Florida Sun-Sentinel

11:10 PM EDT, May 14, 2008

Even when he's out of uniform, Joe Diskin's chasing down suspected bad guys.

The veteran Broward sheriff's deputy was out for a late-night motorcycle ride in Deerfield Beach on Monday when he says he saw the driver next to him shoot a man standing in a hotel parking lot.

Authorities say the suspect, Michael Noshay, 58, sped past a red light at the intersection of Hillsboro Boulevard and State Road A1A and fled the scene.

"The victim fell over and the other guy just tried to get away. I couldn't believe it," said Diskin, 41.

Even though he was off-duty and lacked a gun, the Sheriff's Office sergeant gave chase.

He followed the suspect's silver Corvette west down Hillsboro Boulevard at a safe distance, dialing 911 as he tried to balance his motorcycle.

Deputies stopped Noshay minutes later at that road's intersection with Dixie Highway. He was charged with one count of attempted murder, driving with a suspended license and possession of an open container in a motor vehicle.

Police found two handguns and an open vodka bottle inside his car, a police report said.

The victim — later identified as Abel Diaz, 20 — told officers that Noshay had been tailgating him through traffic. Diaz pulled into a Comfort Inn's parking lot to lose Noshay, but the suspect kept yelling at him, authorities said.

Diaz got out of his car to yell back and that's when Noshay allegedly shot at him and missed, before firing another round at his leg.

Diaz was taken to North Broward Medical Center in Deerfield Beach for nonlife-threatening injuries. He could not be reached for comment.

"That guy would've gotten away if the dispatchers and other officers hadn't worked so quickly," Diskin said. "It just goes to show the dangers of road rage."

Diskin was at shooting in 1992 at the same intersection where authorities arrested Noshay. A man shot and killed one of two men who jumped on his truck and tried to rob him.

Staff Researchers Barbara Hijek and William Lucey contributed to this report.

2. Remove Ads

Off duty and without a gun?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Alcohol + gun + MORON = road rage

My thanks to the off duty deputy for caring.....

Deputy probably won't leave home without a gun again.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I never understood an officer not carrying off duty. They see a lot more of the crime than we do, and they still choose to go out unarmed.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I never understood an officer not carrying off duty. They see a lot more of the crime than we do, and they still choose to go out unarmed.
    I have 3 friends who are LEO and none of them carry off-duty, at least around me. I feel like a tackleberry when around them.

I never understood an officer not carrying off duty.
    And yet, he did what was right. Kudos to him.

Now, 't is high time he got to a gun shop.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Most Boston Police officers that I know do not carry off duty, and a lot don't even wear vests ON duty.......
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Most Boston Police officers that I know do not carry off duty, and a lot don't even wear vests ON duty.......

no vest
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Good Lord!
    In 18 years as a lawman the only time I REALLY needed that handgun was off duty carrying concealed!
    Unreal!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Agreed, it makes little if any sense.

Same similar to pulling into parking lots in an attempt to "lose" a following/chasing angry driver and/or getting out of ones car to "yell back" at persons who clearly are acting crazy and irrational who just might choose to do anything including shoot you.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links