Ugly: Cleveland Man Pummeled to Death by 15, Urinated On

Ugly: Cleveland Man Pummeled to Death by 15, Urinated On

This is a discussion on Ugly: Cleveland Man Pummeled to Death by 15, Urinated On within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has this been posted yet? FOXNews.com - Cleveland Man Pummeled to Death by 15, Urinated On and Stripped in the Street - Local News | ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: Cleveland Man Pummeled to Death by 15, Urinated On

Thumbs down Ugly: Cleveland Man Pummeled to Death by 15, Urinated On

Has this been posted yet?

FOXNews.com - Cleveland Man Pummeled to Death by 15, Urinated On and Stripped in the Street - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
    Cleveland Man Pummeled to Death by 15, Urinated On and Stripped in the Street
    Monday, May 12, 2008

CLEVELAND — Even by tough, urban crime standards it was a grisly attack: Up to 15 people chased a man, then kicked and beat him to death on the street. Before police arrived, one attacker urinated on the victim's head.

By the time Charles Gooden Jr., 41, took his final steps, the crime-hardened neighborhood had awakened and two people, talking in matter-of-fact tones, reported a man down, his clothes being dragged off.

"You got a male being assaulted by 15 other guys. He's laying on the street," one 911 caller said.

It happened before dawn on April 27 on a street within a 10-minute drive of the city's skyscrapers, sports venues and tourist attractions, but across a chasm of poverty and crime in the most murder-ridden neighborhood in one of America's poorest cities.

Latangia Anderson, 23, Johnny Brown, 20, and Paris Moore, 19, all of Cleveland, have been charged with aggravated murder and each pleaded not guilty Monday in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court. Bond was set at $1 million for each.

The defendants said they were unable to afford an attorney and had lawyers appointed to represent them. The attorneys said they couldn't comment on the case.

Police expect more arrests.

It wasn't always dangerous along East 117th Street, where the tulips bloom late because of the cool winds off Lake Erie, one mile north.

"It used to be so quiet and we were so blessed to live on 117th Street," said Irene Bennett, 78. She has lived there 40 years and, used to gunfire and loud outbursts at night, slept through the commotion of Gooden's slaying on the next-door sidewalk.

She had hoped she and her husband, now 86, would enjoy the simple things in life in their retirement: watching people pass by and planting flowers around their neatly kept home anchored by a wide porch.

"You pay for your home, you work hard, you retire and you want to enjoy, just come out on your porch and enjoy, wait for the summertime to come and sit and enjoy," she said, shaking her head lightly at the bygone dream.

The attackers sent word that anyone helping police could face retribution, according to City Councilman Kevin Conwell, who called them gang members. Like most council members, Conwell keeps in touch with police commanders, especially on high-profile crimes that worry residents.

Police haven't mentioned a motive. Conwell said it involved an argument involving a woman and a threat by her cousin against Gooden.

"He went to defend his malehood honor. He hit the cousin in the mouth. When that happened the other gang members jumped on him," said Conwell, relying on information from police and neighbors.

After the attack, bloggers condemned senseless inner-city crime. A sidewalk candle vigil was held and a memorial of stuffed animals emerged outside the Bennett house because the slaying scene doesn't have a tree to anchor the display.

The display has dwindled, according to Bennett, but still has a stuffed dog with the label "Puppy love" and another with the Gooden's nickname, Bud, written repeatedly on it.

Bennett knew Gooden as a youngster from his visits to an uncle down the street in a house now boarded up.

Poverty and drugs have left many houses in the neighborhood dilapidated. There are a few newly renovated homes and two newer ones, one with barred windows. The once-lively commercial district around the corner is made up of mostly closed stores interrupted occasionally by a barbershop or storefront church.

The neighborhood is Cleveland's murder capital, according to police spokesman Lt. Thomas Stacho, and outsiders driving the streets risk getting pegged as people looking to buy crack cocaine.

Still, Gooden's death tugged at sensibilities, including the 911 callers.

"They're stomping somebody and ripping their clothes off. You need to come," another caller said. "Like 15 of them beating the hell out of him."

The emergency dispatcher asked if an ambulance should be sent. "You better bring a stretcher, too," the caller replied. "Please hurry."

Stories like this, sobering as they are, just disgust me - it's hard to have much faith in humanity as a whole these days.

It begs the question though, even if the victim was carrying and had better-than-average training, would it have significantly changed the outcome? 1 vs 15 is pretty bad odds in anyone's book. Maybe rest of the young, foolish (probably gangbanger) attackers would have scattered when the first one went down?
    If it happened to me, I'd at least try to take a few with me....

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Has this been posted yet?
    Looks like an update to something I posted a few days ago in "Off-Topic." Nothing wrong with that that I can see.

ahh...for all the advances that humanity has made, humans have remained the same and while 90% of the time people are good there still is always that 10% that comes out when it is allowed to come out primarily to circumstances in society
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

unfortunately, this sounds like all this poor guy had to do was blow off a verbal threat and leave. instead he hit the guy and got jumped by a mob. King Solomon was right when he said "Pride goes before the fall".

Two things come to mind:

1. He kinda walked into it.
    2. Maybe I should get serious about finding a mag pouch for when I carry my xd. I usually just carry 10+1.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ron
    Most of us can avoid being in places like that, and should. Unfortunately, not everyone can. I wish I know the answer to what I see as an increasingly dangerous environment. I worry for my grandchildren about what we are leaving for them.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Where I live, there is quite a bit of drug trade. In my opinion, complacency and fear helps them. I keep calling them in, they know I am calling them in. All that happens is that they move on. But I have never been threatened by them.

People have to realize that they need to step on roaches before they get too big. Being afraid just helps them. The last thing they want is to have the place swarming with police due to them committing some kind of violent crime.

Am I wrong in wishing that it was legal for police to patrol gang controlled neighborhoods, and if they spot a cluster of gang members, to go ahead and just lay into them with full auto .308?

Yeah, I probably am...

...that ammo can get expensive.

-JT

Wish I would have been a bird in a tree that night

With a AK-47!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

We should never blame the victim til we are sure about that.
    Those gangbangers sure are brave, though, eh?
    I bet if the victim had been carrying, although he had five to nine or ten shots, I think the others would have run away after seeing their little playmates shot to death.
    Police have Youth Violence Strike Forces, and they target gangs, but they really should be able to "discourage" gang members from appearing in public. But then we would all scream police brutality, as most people either do not like police or will not cooperate. Look at the poll here where so many would not even give an ID to police if the law did not require it.
    Sometimes we are not consistent in what we say and think when it comes to police.
    But, these little savages need to get life without parole, if Ohio will not execute them. Don't let anyone tell you that criminals do not hate being locked up.
    It is a big punishment to them, the worst they can think of, no matter what you read. Being used to do what they want to, they hate being caged like an animal, but they are animals so they must be caged.
    And they are in fact cowardly. One on one? They are afraid to fight with their fists. They need guns to make them men. Big and bad. But one on one or even two on one? Mama's boys at heart. But inside, more vicious than a wild animal and twice as dangerous.
    When was the last time you heard of gang members fighting with their fists? They must dress in black and use guns.
    It should be a mandatory 25 years without parole to use a firearm in the commision of any crime of violence.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

As someone said a week or so ago, Where is Paul Kersey??????
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Victim probably could have gotten a CC license.

A lot of the victims in these neighborhoods probably can't get a CC license. They have records that would keep them from qualifying. That said, a lot of them carry anyway.

Clearly this victim wasn't.

Seeing the video of the "swarming" attacks in Vegas a couple of years ago was sobering. Unless the attack is stopped when you shoot the first one or two, being armed with less than a Glock 18 (full auto pistols with 33 round magazines are hard to conceal) or an Uzi isn't going to do a lot of good.

Fitch

And there are those who keep saying that random violence is not on the rise :)

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I'm inclined to think the victim here would have made it out alive if he'd been armed. As others have said, I think the goblins would vanish after a couple of them had gotten ventilated.

Even if shooting one or two or a few of the bg's here wouldn't have led to the victim's survival, it would have served a purpose.

I, for one, would rather take some of them with me.

Also as others have said, though, the dude made some poor decisions, probably decisions that no one on this board would make. Ultimately, it cost him his life.

A sad story of needless death.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links