Would-be robber flees after businessman draws handgun. Good! AIR FORCE!!!

This is a discussion on Would-be robber flees after businessman draws handgun. Good! AIR FORCE!!! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Would-be robber flees after businessman draws handgun | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL "OCALA - On Thursday night, a would-be robber thought he had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would-be robber flees after businessman draws handgun. Good! AIR FORCE!!!

Thumbs up Would-be robber flees after businessman draws handgun. Good! AIR FORCE!!!

Would-be robber flees after businessman draws handgun | Ocala.com | Star-Banner | Ocala, FL

"OCALA - On Thursday night, a would-be robber thought he had an easy target and showed his pistol. What he didn't know was that the intended target, businessman Leslie Morris, had a gun, too.

Morris pulled his weapon first and the robber ran away. Now Ocala police are looking for him."

(Kel-Tec is not made at Cal Tech, but what does a reporter know?)

Outstanding!

2. Remove Ads

Hey, FLSquirrelHunter, hope you don't mind if I piggyback and post the whole article. I love happy endings!

Would-be robber flees after businessman draws handgun

By AUSTIN L. MILLER
    Star-Banner

Published: Friday, May 16, 2008 at 11:38 a.m.
    Last Modified: Friday, May 16, 2008 at 6:42 p.m.
    AUSTIN L. MILLER/STAR-BANNER Leslie Morris, one of the owners of Looking Good Beauty Salon.

OCALA - On Thursday night, a would-be robber thought he had an easy target and showed his pistol. What he didn't know was that the intended target, businessman Leslie Morris, had a gun, too.

Morris pulled his weapon first and the robber ran away. Now Ocala police are looking for him.

According to an Ocala police report, Morris, 43, told a detective that as he exited his store - Looking Good Beauty Salon, at 1971 W. Silver Springs Blvd. - he saw a man with a shirt covering his face approaching him quickly.

Sensing that he might be robbed, Morris put his hand on his concealed weapon, a Cal-Tech 9 mm handgun, which was hidden in the small of his back.

Morris said the would-be robber lifted up his shirt and put his hand on a silver revolver. The man said, "Hey Dawg," which prompted Morris to retrieve his weapon and point it at the startled robber. Morris then told him to drop the weapon.

"He was within a second or two to be in the morgue," Morris said in an interview with the Star-Banner.

Morris said he told the guy to get down. At the same time, Morris said, he looked behind him and saw another man not far behind him. Not knowing if the second man was involved, Morris said he had his eyes on both men and the man who had the weapon ran away.

The report noted that the gunman ran north toward Northwest Second Street.

After the incident, Morris went to the nearby Police Department district office in the 2400 block of West Silver Springs Boulevard and reported it to a detective. Officers searched unsuccessfully for the other man.

Morris, who authorities said has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, described the gunman as a tall, skinny, black man who at the time of the attempted robbery was wearing dark pants and used a brown shirt to cover his face.

"I'm encouraging business owners to bear arms to protect yourself," Morris said. "I was prepared."

Morris, a former member of the U.S. Air Force, said: "I guarantee you that he will think twice about doing that again."

Austin L. Miller can be reached at austin.miller@starbanner.com or 352-867-4118.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    YAY! Florida fights back.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I guess the guy wasn't robbed but the robber ran off with a gun to rob somebody else,or maybe next time he knows you got a gun so he gets the drop on you and robs you takes you're gun and maybe shoots you.This guy knows where you work I would be watching my six big time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"Hey dawg" BANG! How's my BARK?

Don't get it, BG puts his hand on his weapon and the GG starts shouting instructions at him!!! Takes less time to pull the trigger than carry on a conversation with him. Why take the chance, once the BG draws his weapon you're in a shootout. Drop the SOB and talk while the police are responding, if he's able.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Don't get it, BG puts his hand on his weapon and the GG starts shouting instructions at him!!! Takes less time to pull the trigger than carry on a conversation with him. Why take the chance, once the BG draws his weapon you're in a shootout. Drop the SOB and talk while the police are responding, if he's able.
    In this particular situation, I agree...no talking...action would have prevented another robbery at a later time....
    But the victim IS safe.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Morris, a former member of the U.S. Air Force, said: "I guarantee you that he will think twice about doing that again."
    Yep, and I guarantee you that he WILL do it again. If he does think twice, it will only to be to pick an easier looking target.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

...hesitation can be hazardous to your health, have a plan and follow through.

Yep, and I guarantee you that he WILL do it again. If he does think twice, it will only to be to pick an easier looking target.
    +1 Even the BG's learn from their mistakes, how else are they going to support their habit?
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

+1

there is some value to a concealed draw while the threat is being evaluated, but if I have to present the weapon, my muzzle speaks for me. Afterwards ... I have the right to remain silent.

VIP Member
    Guess I'll have to go against opinions expressed so far. I think Mr Morris was correct in not firing. BG brandished a gun, Morris drew his and had BG covered and ordered him to the ground. If the BG had made an attempt to draw, then yes fire! The BG did not attempt to draw his gun, he turned and ran. Using a gun in self defense does not mean having to shoot everytime.

anything a criminal can walk away from, he'll try again harder...

shouldve put him in a box.

Have to agree with Archer51

My heart says DROP HIM!, but my brain says Morris did the right thing. Sometimes we have to control our emotions and do the correct thing even though it's not what our knee jerk reaction would be. That's what separates us from wolves and sheeple. Just my .02.

I'm agreeing with archer as well, if only considering the massive expense in $$$, time, etc related to the shooting -- aside from the fact that shooting another human being is not high on my list of things I'd like to do.

He seems to have been very aware of the whole situation, didn't get tunnel vision... seems like a good response.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

I agree with Morris; only if the BG had pulled his weapon, i would've unloaded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links