BAD: Store Owner Shot In Robbery Attempt - New Haven, CT

This is a discussion on BAD: Store Owner Shot In Robbery Attempt - New Haven, CT within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - New Haven package store owner shot New Haven (WTNH) _ The owner of the package store is in critical ...

Thread: BAD: Store Owner Shot In Robbery Attempt - New Haven, CT

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

BAD: Store Owner Shot In Robbery Attempt - New Haven, CT

WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - New Haven package store owner shot

New Haven (WTNH) _ The owner of the package store is in critical condition after getting shot in the stomach while fighting off a would-be robber.

Bloody crumpled clothes lie in a heap in front of the Norton Package Store. A Heineken box is tipped over among the many evidence markers the New Haven police have put down, even the Mayor is on the scene consulting with officers over this brazen, daytime robbery gone wrong.

"He's doing better now, he's in the recovery room right now," said the victim's brother, Gijnssyam Patel.

Kaushik Patel, 47, known as Rocky, was shot twice in the stomach after he fought back while being held up.

"There had been some type of altercation inside which continued outside and that's where the store employee had been shot," said New Haven Police Lt. Lisa Dadio.

Rocky has owned this store for the last decade and his brother says there were never any problems here.

"Does he worry about robberies?"
    "No," said Gijnssyam.

The neighbors say, it is usually a safe corner, but the lone gunman made it his target. He had actually been staking out Helen's Grocery Store across the street first.

"He put some stuff on the counter, asked me for three beef patties with cheese so I went to put them in the microwave, when I came back, he was gone," said store owner Helen Estrada.

It hadn't taken the robber long to get across the street to his next target. "Like two minutes later, you could say, I heard the shooting," Estrada said.

Estrada said she saw Rocky lying on the sidewalk, holding his side. The suspect fled on foot, prompting police to put a school on Ella Grasso Blvd. in lock down. They now say, the suspect may be connected to another robbery hours earlier on the other side of the city, leaving many here grateful, this wasn't even worse.

"I do feel lucky cause maybe, if I would've been by myself, it would've been me instead of him," Estrada said, "so, I thank God for that."

Police said people in the community have been very helpful. The incident happened during daylight hours so there were several witnesses. Police said they found a lot of evidence on the scene, but are asking anyone with information to call (203) 946-6316.
    ]
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Does he worry about robberies?"
    "No," said Gijnssyam.
    I would say that anytime you say that you put yourself in a dangerous position,my house has never been broken into while i was home,but I am always thinking it could happen,that is why my doors are always locked,nobody is going to just walk in without making some noise.If you walk around in condition white you really need to watch the news more and get the it won't happen to me thoughts oughta your head
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links