Shooting at church - Merged

This is a discussion on Shooting at church - Merged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Stay safe out there folks. Looks like someone let the nuts out of the jar again. Kudo's to the witnesses thats subdued the shooter. Man ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting at church - Merged

another church shooting

Stay safe out there folks.
    Looks like someone let the nuts out of the jar again.
    Kudo's to the witnesses thats subdued the shooter.

Man opens fire outside California church - CNN.com

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A man with a rifle opened fire near a church Saturday morning in the San Fernando Valley and wounded three people, Los Angeles police said.
    art.church.shooting.kabc.jpg

Emergency services respond to a shooting Saturday at St. John Baptist de la Salle Parish.

Fernando Diaz Jr., 33, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, said Los Angeles Police Officer Ana Aguirre. He was held in Van Nuys jail in lieu of $1.5 million bail.

"I don't really have too much to say about that. It's a personal thing between me and the church," Diaz said to The Associated Press before being taken to jail.

When asked if he has an issue with the church, Diaz responded: "The church has an issue with me."

Diaz is the father of a student who goes to the church school, according to CNN affiliate KTLA.

A second victim was in stable condition and a third was in critical condition, Los Angeles police spokeswoman Norma Eisenman said. Video Watch police on the scene

The man in critical condition was shot in the chest. He is 45. Another man, 47, was struck in the leg and is in stable condition, reported KTLA. The names of the victims have not yet been released.

"We believe this is an isolated incident, a domestic-violence dispute," said police Capt. Steven Ruiz.

Authorities said Diaz was on parole for an unspecified crime, and a restraining order was in place to prevent him from being near the school, his son and wife.

The Rev. Robert Milbauer, the parish's pastor, told AP that about 50 people, mainly church volunteers and their children, were setting up food and game booths and carnival-style rides when the gunfire erupted.

"I was walking toward the festival area to say an opening prayer and I saw them," Milbauer told AP of the shooting victims.

"I heard bang, bang, bang, bang. It sounded like balloons popping," said Jeff Sempelsz, a church volunteer speaking to AP. "I didn't know what it was but I could see the rifle in his hand."

William Griffin, a security guard at the festival, was standing near the entrance. "I heard someone yell, 'Somebody's shooting. Somebody's shooting.' I turned and saw a man with a long rifle. He was very calm," Griffin told AP.

The guard said he herded people into the church, then began locking the doors. The man who had been shot in the leg calmly limped in with the others, Griffin told AP.

The suspect was reloading his weapon when he was tackled by several witnesses who were volunteers at the festival. The shooter put up a fight, struggling and taunting people as they were trying to subdue him. KTLA said the suspect and the weapon were taken into custody near the church, St. John Baptist de la Salle Parish in the Granada Hills area of Los Angeles.
    advertisement

The call about the shooting came in around 10:57 a.m. PT (1:57 p.m. ET), KTLA said.

The festival was shut down for the day, and Milbauer told AP that grief counselors were meeting with witnesses, particularly the children. The parish plans to go ahead with the festival on Sunday, Milbauer said, in part to help parishioners put the tragedy behind them.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Unbelievable. It can and does happen anywhere. Where we least think it might occur. This is why I carry every single place I go, no matter if it is in church or not. Everywhere. This is absolutely insane, what is going on everyday with all these incidents. Things are out of control and we are not taking back control.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'll be carrying at church tomorrow!
    Illegal in Va, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'll be carrying at church tomorrow!
    I carry EVERY Sunday at church.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    Illegal in Va, I think.
    Not if you have a "good and sufficient reason" (see Code of Virginia).

My pastor TOLD me to; others cite the Colorado church incident and Homeland Security's warnings as "good and sufficient" enough.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    There is a thread on church carry; so I won't go into a long spill........you pick.........carried by 6 or judged by twelve.....I carry at church.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post

My pastor TOLD me to; others cite the Colorado church incident and Homeland Security's warnings as "good and sufficient" enough.
    That almost begs the question, what would a lawyer or the State Attorney General tell you?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Drat! Now church is no longer a safe place to meet girls.

By the way, don't California's gun laws prohibit such behavior!

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Drat! Now church is no longer a safe place to meet girls.

By the way, don't California's gun laws prohibit such behavior!
    Well, it does sound like the California gun laws helped out in this case. Based on the second article, he was reloading when he was tackled. If he would have had a high capacity magazine, he likely could have caused much more carnage.

This is probably not the right situation to use the coveted 'but it's against the law' argument.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Right now I go to a small church, but I still stand in the lobby, to stand guard against anyone who might want to commit one of these crimes. The lobby gives me a domination point, where I can watch the kids church, nursery, parking lot and the main service. I miss most services but I have kids in the nursery and the kids church, plus my wife is in the main service. It is worth it to me. I am working on rotating with other concealed carry people in the church so that I am not their every week. I personally don't think that this is over kill. In fact some insurance companies are requiring, or at least giving discounts to Churches that have armed guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post

Cool, thanks.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The present fuss about "how horrible" it is for people to carry to Church really puzzles me. If you go back in history any, you can find dozens of examples of people being massacred in churches; As an example, the Scottish were known to block the doors and windows and set fire to another clan's church, and that was people of the same religion. Today? With so many loons and different religions? I think we are going to see a resurgence of the Church massacre.

I think that if a preacher had a problem with me carrying, I'd be researching those incidents and printing them out for him to take a look at.

Of course, "It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of what he was never reasoned into." (Jonathan Swift)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

This is probably not the right situation to use the coveted 'but it's against the law' argument.
    I hope you can tell I was being ironic.

So I think I will ask is this person a islamic wako
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links