Shooting at church - Merged

This is a discussion on Shooting at church - Merged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Man with rifle wounds 3 outside LA church 22 minutes ago A man with a semiautomatic rifle opened fire at a festival outside a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting at church - Merged

Shooting at church - Merged

Police: Man with rifle wounds 3 outside LA church 22 minutes ago

A man with a semiautomatic rifle opened fire at a festival outside a Southern California church Saturday, wounding three people, one of them critically, police said.

Shots rang out shortly before 11 a.m. outside St. John Baptist de la Salle, a Roman Catholic church in Granada Hills, Officer Norma Eisenman said. Bystanders tackled the man and held him until he was taken into police custody, she said.

"He was tackled by an off-duty Burbank police officer" and taken into custody by Los Angeles police, she said.

The gunman wounded three people, including a female who was shot in the elbow, Eisenman said. Two people were taken to a hospital in stable condition and one was in critical condition, she said.

Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said another person was treated for chest pains.

The motive for the attack was not immediately known, Eisenman said.

Church officials did not immediately return calls for comment.
    I'm amazed they used the term semi automatic rifle,instead of assault rifle.I guess the off duty burbank cop wasn't carrying off duty if he had to tackle the guy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'll be carrying at church tomorrow!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I guess the off duty burbank cop wasn't carrying off duty if he had to tackle the guy
    Possible, but my guess is that if he was close enough to the guy to tackle him it meant the gunman was mixed in with festival crowd and I seriously doubt he would have had a good shot with a clean background.

Either way good for him for ending it.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Amen to that Brother!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

If your church includes a daycare, are Law Enforcement Officers prevented from carrying firearms on the premises? I know that licensed non-law enforcement officers are prevented from carrying on any school property, including church if that facility includes a daycare/pre-school. I don't know if LEO's are exempted from this or not.

Of course state by state the laws vary as well. It's sad to see Churches get shot up. Of course like schools, the filth in society prey on those who are least likely to fight back.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I propose that these 'random shooter' types be laid on the highway and a steamroller driven over them. Feet first.

I have carried in church for years, ever since I read about a guy in Vermont way out in the country, brought a shotgun into the church and opened fire, took hostages, state police surrounded the church for hours. That was an eye opener for me.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

I always do...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

B52
    I have been carrying to church ever since 11Sep01. My wife thinks I am paranoid, but articles like this prove me right. God bless you all!

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36
    "An armed society is a polite society"

I believe that many of us will not only carry tomorrow, but we carry every week.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Bad: Man opens fire outside California church

Man opens fire outside California church - CNN.com

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A man with a rifle opened fire near a church Saturday morning in the San Fernando Valley and wounded three people, Los Angeles police said.

The intended victim was the gunman's 30-year-old ex-girlfriend, according to CNN affiliate KTLA. She was struck in the shoulder and is in stable condition at a local hospital, KTLA reported.

The suspect is the father of a student who goes to the church school, according to KTLA.

A second victim was in stable condition and a third was in critical condition, Los Angeles police spokeswoman Norma Eisenman said. Watch police on the scene »

The man in critical condition was shot in the chest. He is 45. Another man, 47, was struck in the leg and is in stable condition, reported KTLA.

The Rev. Robert Milbauer, the parish's pastor, told The Associated Press that about 50 people, mainly church volunteers and their children, were setting up food and game booths and carnival-style rides when the gunfire erupted.

"I was walking toward the festival area to say an opening prayer and I saw them," Milbauer told AP of the shooting victims.

"I heard bang, bang, bang, bang. It sounded like balloons popping," said Jeff Sempelsz, a church volunteer speaking to AP. "I didn't know what it was but I could see the rifle in his hand."

William Griffin, a security guard at the festival, was standing near the entrance. "I heard someone yell, 'Somebody's shooting. Somebody's shooting.' I turned and saw a man with a long rifle. He was very calm," Griffin told AP.

The guard said he herded people into the church, then began locking the doors. The man who had been shot in the leg calmly limped in with the others, Griffin told AP.

Police said the gunman is expected to be charged with three counts of attempted murder.

The suspect was reloading his weapon when he was tackled by several witnesses who were volunteers at the festival. The shooter put up a fight, struggling and taunting people as they were trying to subdue him. KTLA said the suspect and the weapon were taken into custody near the church, St. John Baptist de la Salle Parish in the Granada Hills area of Los Angeles.

The call about the shooting came in around 10:57 a.m. PT (1:57 p.m. ET), KTLA said.

The festival was shut down for the day, and Milbauer told AP that grief counselors were meeting with witnesses, particularly the children. The parish plans to go ahead with the festival on Sunday, Milbauer said, in part to help parishioners put the tragedy behind them.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRocket View Post
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36
    nothing that would scare the bejeesus out of me quicker than a naked man with a sword
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

church shooting

not a good story to wake up too. glad to hear that nobody was killed.
    being a church gathering,things could have been a whole lot worse.
    prayers go out to the victims for a speedy recovery.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I'll have to carry deep, but I'll have my Sig and my Bible.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links