Air Force Airmen Stopped in Burglary

This is a discussion on Air Force Airmen Stopped in Burglary within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Virginian-Pilot; May 16, 2008; Hampton Roads, Virginia Three Airmen Charged With Breaking Into Surplus Store By Patrick Wilson The Virginian-Pilot NEWPORT NEWS Three active-duty ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Force Airmen Stopped in Burglary

The Virginian-Pilot; May 16, 2008; Hampton Roads, Virginia

Three Airmen Charged With Breaking Into Surplus Store
    By Patrick Wilson The Virginian-Pilot
    NEWPORT NEWS

Three active-duty airmen at Langley Air Force Base were arrested Thursday on allegations that they broke into a military surplus store, Newport News police said.
    The store’s owner was sleeping inside and caught three men about 3:05 a.m., holding one of them at gunpoint until police officers arrived, police said.
    “I feel very lucky and fortunate that everything went my way,” said Jeffrey Thompson, the owner of CQB Military Surplus, 14350 Warwick Blvd.
    Police arrested Scotty Harold Light, John Jacob Solecki and Timothy Michael Wiggins. All three are 20.
    Light and Solecki, who live on base in Hampton, were charged with burglary, attempted grand larceny and conspiracy to commit burglary.
    Wiggins, of the 900 block of Marcus Drive, was charged with burglary and conspiracy to commit burglary.
    All three men are assigned to security forces at Langley, police said.
    Thompson said he decided to spend several nights inside his store in response to a break-in attempt on Sunday night.
    Someone cut power lines to his store and tried to pry open a back door, he said. The alarm went off and police arrived to find no one there. “I suspected that they were going to come back,” Thompson said.
    He slept in his store Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Early Thursday the sound of breaking glass woke him from deep sleep.
    He put on his glasses picked up his gun and stood. A man wearing a black mask was 20 feet away, illuminated by outside streetlights.
    Thompson said he pointed his gun at the burglar and told him to get on the ground. The man complied.
    He then found another masked burglar crouching behind a counter, and told him to get on the ground. He also complied. But when Thompson went to find his phone, the second man ran out the back door and escaped.
    Thompson called 911 and kept his gun pointed at the man on the floor.
    “He knew he had a gun pointed at his head,” Thompson said. “He wasn’t trying to fight.”
    Newport News police arrived and arrested Light at the store, a police statement said. Solecki and Wiggins were taken into custody at Wiggins’ house.
    The suspects are being held in the Newport News jail.
    “I guess I feel justified for spending the time at my shop sleeping,” Thompson said. “There’s been a lot of negativism about firearms. … I’m very much a proponent of letting honest citizens carry firearms to protect themselves from criminals. I’m not a member of the NRA or anything like that; I just feel that in this day and age there’s a lot of bad folks out there.”
    John Jacob Solecki, top, Scotty Harold Light, center, and Timothy Michael Wiggins, all 20, are being held in the Newport News jail.

Good job on the part of the storeowner. I don't think I would have left them unguarded while I went to the phone; might have been better to march them at gunpoint to where the owner could reach the phone while still covering them.

Its sad to see service members resort to this sort of behavior.

B52
    The class of Airmen we are getting these days seems to be bottom of the barrel. I have been in 11+ years and the amount of disrespect that we get from these troops is sad. We try to discipline them, but our senior leadership stops us in our tracks. Not all Airmen these days are worthless, but there a quite a few. I believe recruiters are forced to take these folks because retention in all branches sucks because of the War and most young folks have been fed liberal ideas. Who is at fault, our senior officers and civilian leaders. Hell, I was just repremanded because I made one of my airmen do push-ups because he showed up to work 15 minutes late, BS!!!

As a Captain told me the other day...

"The oath of ethics we took when we joined means nothing now..."

This is quite saddening. I recall being broke when I was an Airman, but you always had a home and meals. I wonder what they were after?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

B52
    Trust me Cupcake, today's Airmen are paid very well compaired to what I or you got when we came in. I got about $300 a pay check as an E1, they are getting about $900...not too bad in just 11 years. Remember this is just base pay, with all the bennies its even more.

I was a JAG 1979-1982 at Sheppard AFB Texas, with prior Marine Corps enlisted service 1963-1967, a 12 year break, because JAG offered direct commisions with no OCS or OTS as they call it, to lawyers, doctors, chaplains and dentists. It was great duty.
    But one of my duties was to speak to incoming airmen from Lackland during their three day inprocessing classes, and my class was only 45 minutes long and was on how to stay out of trouble on this base. I told them that the Army has the most disciplinary problems but that I had just done 20 courts-martial and 32 administrative discharge boards plus prosecuted civilians downtown in civilian federal court and most airmen were very courteous etc but there were a few that I wondered how they ever got thru boot camp.
    Now this was a long time ago so I can imagine what it is like now.
    But just the fact that we had to tell them how to stay out of trouble on a big base like that. We should not have had to say a word. They should all have known how to act. But there is always that 10%.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

In the Marine Corps we got 71.00 per month and we thought we were living high on the hog then :) Beer was a nickel.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

B52
    You are 100% right dcd188, but the rules aren't being enforced as much these days. Most of my squadron is deployed now and some shops are one or two men deep. I believe the squadron commanders are hesitant to discipline these folks because no one will be around to support the stateside mission. Thanks for your service!

Thank you also. I cannot believe you were reprimanded for ordering pushups. This is the sad state of affairs we talk about everywhere else on this forum.
    A little pushups never hurt anyone. They need them.
    They have to be disciplined. But they are not given that discipline. Very sad and very dangerous too.

Do they still give out Article 15s for things like Failure To Go, regarding that Airman who was late? They gave them out like candy at Sheppard AFB. No fooling around. But that was back then. Do they still hand them out?
    They hurt, is why I am asking, financially and in other ways, so they are effective.

B52
    Yep, but it takes on average about 10 to 15 Failure's to go to make that happen. Even our DUI folks don't always get Article 15's, like they did in the past. The quickest way out is to do drugs, at least that is still strickly enforced. I sure hope I can make it too my last 8.4 years of service, its not the same AF I enlisted in many years ago. I still love it and serve proudly, but little things like this tick me off!

Now, it's coincidental that you should say that. I went into the Marine Corps in 1963 just two weeks after turning 17.
    I was in for four but a LOT of my friends were in for TEN. Halfway toward retirement and they just could not stand the changes anymore and ended up getting out at the halfway point.
    I guess this would have been around 1977 or so, for them, but the same thing went on back then, too many unwelcome changes and they could not hang on for the 20 years.

Going back to these airmen, so we don't get booted off of here due to wandering miles from the original post------I hope it is still the case that those airmen will suffer USAF consequences just for getting arrested off base. It used to be grounds for discharge.

B52
    I hope they will be meeting Bubba soon at Ft. Leavenworth.

We sent people to Ft Leavenworth and for lesser offenses, to Fort Riley Kansas. I have a great story to tell you but will PM you, you will apppreciate this story about military crime....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links