GOOD: Suspect Shot During Home Invasion - Rochester, NY

This is a discussion on GOOD: Suspect Shot During Home Invasion - Rochester, NY within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Suspect shot during home invasion in southeast Rochester | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle City Police officers early today were called to the scene of ...

Thread: GOOD: Suspect Shot During Home Invasion - Rochester, NY

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Suspect Shot During Home Invasion - Rochester, NY

Suspect shot during home invasion in southeast Rochester | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

City Police officers early today were called to the scene of a home invasion in southeast Rochester residence.

According to Monroe County emergency dispatchers, officers were called to 120 Laburnum Crescent, just before 1 a.m.

A 20-year-old man at the residence told police he answered a knock on his front door and found a 25-year-old male pointing a weapon at him, said Rochester Police Officer Deidre Taccone. Officers did not release the name of either man.

The intruder allegedly ordered man into the house and told him to get other residents together in the house, Taccone said.

The 20-year-old man, while gathering others in the house, went into another room and retrieved a shotgun. A struggle between the two men ensued and the 20-year-old man shot the intruder in the back.

The injured man ran from the home, leaving his weapon at the scene, and walked into Highland Hospital for assistance. He was reportedly taken to Strong Memorial Hospital within injuries that were not considered life-threatening, according to Monroe County emergency dispatchers.

No other injuries were reported.

Laburnum Crescent is located in Upper Monroe neighborhood, west of Monroe Avenue and south of Interstate 490.
    Good on the homeowner, good on the media for not releasing the homeowners name, but bad on the media for releasing the address.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

It's too bad that we live in a society where we're not safe in our own homes anymore, but some good lessons can come out of this story:

1. CARRY EVEN AT HOME!

2. Use a peep hole, or look out a window, to see who is at your door before you open it.

3. Keep your door locked at all times.

4. If you're suspicious of the caller, don't open the door, call the police (and hope 911 operator isn't asleep)!

Friends and neighbors may call you paranoid, but you'll be alive to hear them.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

I never just open the door...if I can't see a person I know or can deal with...I don't answer...
    When the door IS opened, my gun is in hand.
    Now if it's my mother-in-law at the door, I also have a can of OC spray available... (just kidding, of course...or am I...)

Stay armed...at home...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow, I cant beleive I missed this on the local news. I am 10 minutes from here and used to live about 5 from this area. Monroe Ave in Rochester is tricky. The general area houses a lot of college age people and just a few streets away is the popular bar district. One or two streets either way can take you into bad territory. Seems as of late that the scum bags are working their way into the area and causing problems. Scary thing is, just up monroe from this spot is Pittsford which is a quite ritzy area. Validates everyones point that no place is totally safe.

Monroe used to be big for its bars and it has slowed over the last couple years. I will not go there with out my fire arm and since I can not carry in a bar they do not get my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Fmr18z View Post
    1. CARRY EVEN AT HOME!

2. Use a peep hole, or look out a window, to see who is at your door before you open it.

3. Keep your door locked at all times.

4. If you're suspicious of the caller, don't open the door, call the police (and hope 911 operator isn't asleep)!
    One would think these precautions would be obvious to all, but from the stories we read, apparently they aren't. Even more mindboggling are stories where people open their doors to strangers in the middle of the night (like this story). I don't understand that at all.

Grady I agree. I will admit I was not as prepared as I am after being on these boards. But after the last year, my friends will tell you that they WILL NOT walk into my house with out knocking or calling. One won't even come over with out calling since I expected him at 10pm and he showed up with a 12pack at 8pm and I answered with a friend in my hand.

That could have turned really ugly...I can't imagine being foolish enough to open my front door at 1am without knowing who it was...(and they better have a damned good excuse!!) The homeowner was lucky, as was anyone else who happened to be in the house.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    I will admit I was not as prepared as I am after being on these boards.
    Same here. I will admit a few years ago I might have answered an unexpected door knock late at night, but certainly not any more.

After some research, I'm going to install a camera/speaker system so I can see and speak with whomever is at my door, without opening the door.

Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    One won't even come over with out calling since I expected him at 10pm and he showed up with a 12pack at 8pm and I answered with a friend in my hand.
    +1 for being prepared.

Links