Who Says You Don't Need To Carry In National Parks? Two Dead After Police Pursuit

Who Says You Don't Need To Carry In National Parks? Two Dead After Police Pursuit

This is a discussion on Who Says You Don't Need To Carry In National Parks? Two Dead After Police Pursuit within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sierra Vista Herald | The Bisbee Daily Review STANFIELD, Ariz. (AP) -- Two men who led law enforcement agents on a lengthy pursuit on Interstate ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Sierra Vista Herald | The Bisbee Daily Review

STANFIELD, Ariz. (AP) -- Two men who led law enforcement agents on a lengthy pursuit on Interstate 8 Wednesday morning were found dead inside after their car was disabled and authorities said it appeared to be a murder-suicide.

The dead men were brothers who had been sought since they reportedly carjacked a couple and took their white Dodge sedan at the Grand Canyon on Monday night, said Pinal County Sheriff's spokesman Mike Minter.

Minter said officers approaching the white Dodge Caliber after it was disabled by spike strips heard gunshots and later confirmed both died of bullet wounds. No officers fired or were hurt.

"It appears one man in the vehicle shot the other guy and then turned the weapon on himself," Minter said.

Minter said the men were identified as Travis N. "T-Bo" Twiggs, 36, and Willard J. "Will" Twiggs, 38.

Authorities from the National Park Service had been searching for the brothers since two men stole a car at gunpoint from two people Monday night at the Grand Canyon National Park. The men had crashed their own car several hours earlier but walked away carrying backpacks.

Travis Twiggs was recently an active-duty member of the military based at the Marine Corps base at Quantico, Va., said national park spokeswoman Shannan Marcak. He suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and was reported to be unpredictable. Will Twiggs was from Louisiana.

Wednesday's incident began when the men were stopped at a U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint near Welton in southwestern Arizona. Minter said agents became suspicious and ordered the men to pull over for additional inspection, but they took off.

Border Patrol agents gave chase, joined by officers and deputies from several state, county and Indian tribal police agencies during the 130-mile pursuit. An officer with the Tohono O'odham Nation police deployed spike strips near the town of Stanfield about 40 miles south of Phoenix, flattening the tires on the Dodge.

The driver kept going for about a mile before the car veered off the Interstate and hit a small tree.

After shots were heard, officers backed off until agents in helicopters determined both men appeared to be dead.

Federal officials said it is possible the men were trying to commit suicide during the initial accident.

"There were strong indications at the accident site that they may have been trying to drive into the canyon," Marcak said. "But I think part of that is just where the vehicle was located."
    Wow, a lot of angles in this story. Thankfully no innocents were hurt in the 130 mile chase.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Take action to allow carry in national parks

FYI, in case some don't know, there are rule changes being proposed that would allow concealed carry in national parks and refuges in states that allow carry in their state parks. Currently these rules are open for public comment, and it would be good for them to hear from as many as possible on the "pro" side so they will put the new rules in place.

I'll provide the link to the NRA's page on this issue, as they include a list of suggested talking points to help with writing your comments. There is a link there to the comments page also.

NRA-ILA :: Legislation

Why didn't the two bad guys do that BEFORE the carjacking? They always do it after the fact. Two more rehabilitated guys, though.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

well, when I go hiking/camping/climbing/canoeing/jogging in National Forests I would really like to take my 44 Mag revolver incase bear or some other wildlife sees me as a tasty treat. I don't really see many people when I go though and I don't really worry too much about them either.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    What type of conversation do to MORONS have with each other? "Let's flip a coin and if I win I get to shoot you first and than I'll shoot myself. If I loose you get to shoot me and than yourself".....idoits....bye now.

GG 0
    BG 2

Horray, for our side.
    Last edited by Reborn; May 19th, 2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: miss counted.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I'm armed on or off the pavement!
    Tools put man at the top of the food chain, and I like it here!
    A man is only as good as his tools!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

You Are Da Man, Cdwolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    well, when I go hiking/camping/climbing/canoeing/jogging in National Forests I would really like to take my 44 Mag revolver incase bear or some other wildlife sees me as a tasty treat. I don't really see many people when I go though and I don't really worry too much about them either.
    Around here there is no State restriction applicable to a National Forests for CHP holders.

As far as I know, there is none at the Federal level -- either USC or USDA reg.

Re: USC see:

§ 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities.
    (d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

and

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

In Virginia, self-protection as authorized by a CHP is an "other lawful purposes."

In addition, I have never seen anything "posted conspicuously at each public entrance" of a National Forest. Given the fact you can enter the Nation Forest dang near anywhere, from any direction, how could it be?

It is the DOI (NPS & USFWS) that has "Regulations" that were are trying to get reversed.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Why didn't the two bad guys do that BEFORE the carjacking? They always do it after the fact. Two more rehabilitated guys, though.
    Your "rehabilitated guy" was Staff Sgt. Travis Twiggs, a Marine. An Iraqi vet who suffered psychotic bouts of PTSD from his 4 tours in Iraq and lack of decent mental health care here after he served his country with honor. He tried very hard to help himself and even others with their problems, but psychosis is not exactly self-treatable.

PTSD: The War Within

Iraq Vet Who Wrote About His PTSD Kills Self, Brother

Healing Combat Trauma: RIP Travis N. Twiggs, USMC PTSD Sufferer

I'm all for dirtbags getting what comes to them. This guy in no way qualified as a dirtbag. He was not a "bad guy"; he was a man ****** up by a nasty war and ****** over by a nasty system.

You may want to read more about someone's death before you celebrate it.

Just my thoughts.

Was all that in the original post? It said he suffered from PTSD and was unpredictable and that is all it said. If you knew more then you were responsible to come on right away and post more.
    These scenarios, you read them all the time and we say good shooting , good job, and we are not going to delve into it and look up people's histories so before you jump, look a little bit?
    You came on with those details. We did not know that.
    That is absolute BS, that we should Google every story that is posted here just to check out their histories, and you know it. Was I the only one who made a comment on this thread? Come on, now.
    Give me a break. You come on from now on after you Google every single story posted on all the forums. That is your assignment, since you like to jump in without due cause. Your assignment is to verify for all of us every story where a supposed BG got hurt. That is the only way we will know without Googling all day and night. So you do it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    What type of conversation do to MORONS have with each other? "Let's flip a coin and if I win I get to shoot you first and than I'll shoot myself. If I loose you get to shoot me and than yourself".....idoits....bye now.

GG+2
    BG 0
    Correction:

GG: 0
    BG: -2

Also glad no one was hurt during the chase.

Anyone remember Letterman's "Stupid Pet Tricks"? We need to start a series (or suggest it to Conan, Leno, or maybe Jon Stewart) called Stupid Human Tricks, and these guys get to go first.... if only there were video of it.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Correction:

GG: 0
    BG: -2

Ahh, shoot.......never was good at counting........thanks for correcting.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

You know, Red Knightt, there are ways to come on the forums and provide info that we had no way of knowing about, but you came on with a BS way of doing it, so you should now take it upon yourself to Google every single post where some news story is posted. There is a right way and a wrong way to jump in here. And you know which one you did.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    You know, Red Knightt, there are ways to come on the forums and provide info that we had no way of knowing about, but you came on with a BS way of doing it, so you should now take it upon yourself to Google every single post where some news story is posted. There is a right way and a wrong way to jump in here. And you know which one you did.

Agree.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Thanks. I really hate to make a post like that but three links were provided that I had not seen and had no possible way of knowing about. etc etc etc etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links