Deputies hunt for home invaders who shot dog, endangered 8-year-old boy

This is a discussion on Deputies hunt for home invaders who shot dog, endangered 8-year-old boy within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What happened to "no child left behind"? This happened a couple of miles from the Palm Beach county Sheriff's headquarters! By Rochelle E.B. Gilken and ...

Thread: Deputies hunt for home invaders who shot dog, endangered 8-year-old boy

Deputies hunt for home invaders who shot dog, endangered 8-year-old boy

What happened to "no child left behind"? This happened a couple of miles from the Palm Beach county Sheriff's headquarters!

By Rochelle E.B. Gilken and Sonja Isger

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Residents in a wooded Gun Club neighborhood in suburban West Palm Beach thought theirs was a quiet place until police came roaring down the street in answer to a home invasion robbery this morning.

Palm Beach County Sheriff's deputies are searching for two home invasion robbers who burst into a home in a wooded neighborhood off Gun Club Road, killed a dog and threatened a family.

Two adults inside bolted, leaving their 8-year-old boy in the home with the invaders. The boy was there for at least five minutes before deputies arrived and recovered him unharmed, according to Sheriff's Lt. William Bruckner.

The invaders came through the back door and were confronted by the family pit bull-mix. One of the invaders shot the dog, who wandered into the bathroom and died, Sheriff's spokeswoman Teri Barbera said. Another family dog in the house survived, she said.

The parents made reference to investigators that the invaders wanted drugs or money. And there was an unreported home invasion at the same address the night before, Bruckner said.

Property records show the home, at 5963 Gun Club Road, is owned by the estate of Kathleen Dummett, who died last year.

Jackie Morrow, who has lived across the street for a year, said she heard late night gunshots in the area a couple weeks back, but the neighborhood is generally quiet.

"I'll be very vigilant from now on," she said.

Patrick Sell told deputies he saw a car driving suspiciously in the area around midnight. He didn't call it in at the time, but alerted investigators this morning, just in case it might help their search efforts.

"Nothing like that happens around here. Never thought I'd see (expletive) like this," said Sell, who has lived in the neighborhood for 25 years.

Deputies have employed helicopters and police dogs to hunt for the armed men who fled on foot. Early on, the search spanned the area near Melaleuca Elementary School and deputies had the school locked down.

The school, however, did open its doors at 7:15 a.m., school district spokesman Nat Harrington reported shortly before 8 a.m.

Sheriff's officials say they are looking for two men, a black man in a black T-shirt and black pants armed with a shotgun and another, Hispanic male, also dressed in black, carrying a 9 mm handgun.

PBSO Headqaurters
    3228 Gun Club Road
    West Palm Beach, FL 33406
    (561)688-3000

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    They left the 8 year old boy behind..........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

And they had a home invasion the night before that they did not report?!

Something about this smells fishy to me.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

"The parents made reference to investigators that the invaders wanted drugs or money. And there was an unreported home invasion at the same address the night before, Bruckner said."

Hmmm, I too smell a fish or a rat or something that is not right. Why would the invaders be looking for drugs or money, twice in the same 24 hr period?

And yes, they need a swift kick in the arse for leaving the 8 yr old behind, even if they are dopeheads.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

You'd have to be a crack addict to abandon your kid to intruders.
    I'll stay behind please.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

VIP Member
    Bit more detail here:
    Parents fleeing armed home invaders leave child behind near West Palm Beach

Kevin Dummett, 35, and Kellin Hahn, 26, were the targets of two attempted robberies at their home Tuesday both carried out by the same two men
    Dummett told investigators that the invaders apparently wanted drugs or money.

In the last few years, Dummett's arrest history includes charges of burglary, battery, marijuana possession and driving with a suspended license.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I saw the video interview of the 2 adults

see below

I saw the video interview of the 2 adults

video interview here;

WPEC News 12 - News12Now : Video

The parents sound like 'dirtbag magnents'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links