Ugly. Man shoots sister.

Ugly. Man shoots sister.

This is a discussion on Ugly. Man shoots sister. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man Accidently Shoots Sister with Off-Duty Cop's Gun FOX NEWS Alcohol may have been the factor that lead to a man accidentally shooting and killing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly. Man shoots sister.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Ugly. Man shoots sister.

Man Accidently Shoots Sister with Off-Duty Cop's Gun
    FOX NEWS

Alcohol may have been the factor that lead to a man accidentally shooting and killing his sister with an off-duty officer's gun.

Police arrested24-year-old Aric McGowan late Sunday in Roanoke after he shot his 32-year-old sister Kelly Atkins near the swimming pool at a Best Western Hotel.

Investigators said McGowan pulled the trigger using a gun that belong to his friend Chester Cunningham III. Cunningham is a police officer, but was not on duty at the time of the accident.

A 911 call reveals Cunningham struggling to tell dispatch officers what happened. McGowan can be heard in the background shouting expletives.

Atkins later died at the hospital.

McGowan was charged with suspicion of manslaughter. He is out of prison on $25,000 bond.

Police are still investigating the accident to determine exactly what happened and how McGowan was able gain access to Cunningham's gun.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

When are people going to learn, firearms are NOT toys nor to be toyed with.
    Want to point a gun at someone or a loved one for 'fun' then go grab a water gun or SuperSoaker.

Yet another example for the Gun Control Inc. scoreboard and database.

- Sarah Brady
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Unbelievable. Two simple rules and they cannot be followed.
    Never point a weapon unless you intend to use it.
    The gun is always loaded.
    More people are shot with "unloaded" guns than with loaded ones.
    These are the most tragic stories because there is just no good reason for them to happen. At least we can understand a BG robbing a place etc it is bad but it is not like this, where someone just pulls a trigger, like nothing is going to possibly happen. Unreal.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I believe the off duty officer may have charges in his future. He should have been in control of his gun.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Hi deadeye72: I wonder what the entire story is. I am wondering what departmental polices are about a LEOs service weapon besides being liable for it if it is lost or stolen. I really have no idea.
    That is interesting to me and I wonder what the various depts' policies are, and if they are in any way uniform or not.
    And does control of the gun mean absolute whereby if you put it down somewhere when it is concealed, like in a pouch under a towel etc at the pool and you yourself are nearby......I guess if you are exercising general control over it you would be okay? Does not have to be on you, just within your control but not within an armlength etc....wonder how much the depts vary with this rule.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

He must've grabbed the gun without the cop's knowledge. Nobody hands their friend a loaded gun.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

I was thinking, well, they were at the pool and the officer had a fanny pack under a towel on a chair and the drunken guy took it then without officer's knowledge. I am not sure about the officer being brought up on charges. Depends on how far he is required to be responsible for his firearm. Absolute responsibility? Reasonable responsibility? To be near it at all time if it is not on him? I am really curious about dept rules on this, and they might vary a lot.

The guy that shot his sister was crying about somebody having a real gun,like it wasn't his fault he shot his sister with a real gun he found wrapped up in somebody elses pants,he just picked the gun up pointed it at his sister and pulled the trigger,he was drunk at the time still no excuse,but gun grabbers are going to say it's the guns fault
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The guy that shot his sister was crying about somebody having a real gun,like it wasn't his fault he shot his sister with a real gun he found wrapped up in somebody elses pants,he just picked the gun up pointed it at his sister and pulled the trigger,he was drunk at the time still no excuse,but gun grabbers are going to say it's the guns fault
    That's why I like having a manual safety. No matter how stupid or drunk someone is, they're not going to turn the safety off before aiming it and pulling the trigger.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    That's why I like having a manual safety. No matter how stupid or drunk someone is, they're not going to turn the safety off before aiming it and pulling the trigger.
    Seen it. Darwin will not be denied.

The Ruger P90 .45 had the ambidextrous decocker on it so when it was down, and if someone grabbed the gun, the trigger would pull all the way back but nothing would happen. I used to carry it like that on police ride-alongs for maxium safety, and switch it to the OFF position if any incident started up.
    So, with the P90 this drunken guy would have just gone click click click
    But what a sad sad incident. It only takes a couple of seconds for tragedy to strike.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Hi deadeye72: I wonder what the entire story is. I am wondering what departmental polices are about a LEOs service weapon besides being liable for it if it is lost or stolen. I really have no idea.
    That is interesting to me and I wonder what the various depts' policies are, and if they are in any way uniform or not.
    And does control of the gun mean absolute whereby if you put it down somewhere when it is concealed, like in a pouch under a towel etc at the pool and you yourself are nearby......I guess if you are exercising general control over it you would be okay? Does not have to be on you, just within your control but not within an armlength etc....wonder how much the depts vary with this rule.

I am not sure about most departments, but a good friend of mine is a K-9 Deputy and on the local SRT team. When he was issued his new Glock, I asked to hold it and was told he was not allowed to let anyone handle his service weapon. I had no problem with that. I understand that there could be liability issues if something were to happen while the gun was in my possession.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

It makes sense. Waiting for SIXTO to come on here with his opinion as to how far police liability goes, within the dept, when something like this happens. Just my gut instinct tells me it might vary tremendously across the country but I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    The Ruger P90 .45 had the ambidextrous decocker on it so when it was down, and if someone grabbed the gun, the trigger would pull all the way back but nothing would happen. I used to carry it like that on police ride-alongs for maxium safety, and switch it to the OFF position if any incident started up.
    So, with the P90 this drunken guy would have just gone click click click
    But what a sad sad incident. It only takes a couple of seconds for tragedy to strike.
    Actually with my P345, if you pull the trigger a little hard and rapidly several times, you can get it to release the hammer with the safety on. It still will not fire, but it will release the hammer. I was a little concerned until I did it at the range and saw that it did not fire when I did that.

I've never tried it with my friend's P90 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Seen it. Darwin will not be denied.
    Have you read these?

Darwin Awards: Darwin Awards

Try these ones:
    2000 Darwin Award: Gun Safety Training
    1978 Darwin Award: Guitars 'n' Guns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links