Good: Trigger Finger Straight

This is a discussion on Good: Trigger Finger Straight within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Weapons Safety Instructor's Gun Goes Off During Class Tuesday, May 20, 2008 E-Mail Print Share: NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — A firearms instructor in southern Massachusetts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: Trigger Finger Straight

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Weapons Safety Instructor's Gun Goes Off During Class
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — A firearms instructor in southern Massachusetts has been assigned to other duties after his gun accidentally went off while he was teaching a class on weapons safety.

Officials say the Glock handgun discharged while Maj. Donald Lamar was demonstrating to Bristol County deputy sheriffs how to safely holster the weapon.

The bullet ripped a hole in Lamar's pants but missed his leg and foot.

Sheriff Thomas Hodgson says the officer made a "gross error in judgment" by not emptying the weapon before the class last week.

Lamar, a certified firearms instructor since 2005, was transferred to another division and will not carry a firearm while the incident is being investigated.

Mods move this if you need to. Maybe under humor. I place it under good since no one got shot.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I'm thinking he was showing them what happens if you don't properly holster you're gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Why is the subject labeled "Good" ;-) ?

I guess you should never stop learning and paying attention. Its probably like driving a car. Didn't they say that most accidents don't happen after you drive for a year and start getting careless?

88m
    got to say it before someone beats me to it....

wonder if he use to work for the ATF?
    Also did he happen to say he was the only one in the room qualified to handle that weapon?
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

...sounds like he's going to need a new pair of uniform trousers, because of the bullet hole in the leg...and the large brown stain in the seat...
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

it seems peculiar to me that Glocks are always involved in such incident and seems always in reholstering. yup, even if your finger is not on the trigger, the trigger can still get snagged on reholstering and fire the weapon. I wonder if this also happens with sig sauers or other pistols w/o a flickable safety.

I like and shoot Glocks;they are superbly made/designed. however, i have a healthy respect for the fact that it does not have a flickable safety.
    Last edited by Raider39a; May 20th, 2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added more stuff
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Raider: You may be on to something. I am still in the "try different carry positions" phase. The last couple days I moved it from 4-5 o'clock to 2 o'clock partially for that reason. I didn't feel comfortable reholstering without being able to see the trigger. I did try with an unloaded Glock to see if the trigger could get pulled by piece of shirt or so getting caught in it. Haven't managed to get this working, but it just didn't feel safe. If you see the holster, you at least have a chance to remove any obstruction. I can see in a classroom setting, he may have been re-holstering while focusing on the class.

Simply a lesson well learned... and taught even better. This shows us that even as an instructor or a long time shooter, you can never ever allow yourself to become complacent.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Sheriff Thomas Hodgson says the officer made a "gross error in judgment" by not emptying the weapon before the class last week.
    Wow. Was using live rounds in a firearms safety course (though, it's unknown what the course entailed). Finished up a class and didn't check. Started a new class and didn't check. It was bound to happen, then, at some point. Nice to see that he recognizes the basic error. Luckily, nobody was harmed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Officials say the Glock handgun discharged while Maj. Donald Lamar was demonstrating to Bristol County deputy sheriffs how to safely holster the weapon.
    WOW...
    I'll bet thats a lesson that the Deputys will never forget...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Why is the subject labeled "Good" ;-) ?
    In my opinion it's because 1) He's been reassigned and 2) They've taken his pistol away from him.

Geeeez, what a dimwit. I hope they paid no attention to him.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Administrator
    There is an incredibly high overwhelming percentage of Glock firearms carried/used in Law Enforcement which might help to explain why a Glock firearm always seems to be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    it seems peculiar to me that Glocks are always involved in such incident and seems always in reholstering. yup, even if your finger is not on the trigger, the trigger can still get snagged on reholstering and fire the weapon. I wonder if this also happens with sig sauers or other pistols w/o a flickable safety.

I like and shoot Glocks;they are superbly made/designed. however, i have a healthy respect for the fact that it does not have a flickable safety.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

When holstering your semi-auto handgun, put your thumb (of the hand that's holding the gun) on the rear of the slide. Then, as you insert the gun into the holster, simply apply thumb pressure to the rear of the slide.

If the trigger is somehow being pulled, the hammer will push back against your thumb. That forces you to not put any more downforce on the slide since the hammer is pushing back up against your thumb. That change in feel just might prevent an unintended discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There is an incredibly high overwhelming percentage of Glock firearms carried/used in Law Enforcement which might help to explain why a Glock firearm always seems to be involved.
    Really? Are you sure its not because of the way its designed? Maybe that will, quote: "help to explain why a Glock firearm always seems to be involved". End quote.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    When holstering your semi-auto handgun, put your thumb (of the hand that's holding the gun) on the rear of the slide. Then, as you insert the gun into the holster, simply apply thumb pressure to the rear of the slide.

If the trigger is somehow being pulled, the hammer will push back against your thumb. That forces you to not put any more downforce on the slide since the hammer is pushing back up against your thumb. That change in feel just might prevent an unintended discharge.
    Why not just remove your finger from the trigger?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links