"7-year-old shoots her mother in suburban Boca Raton"

This is a discussion on "7-year-old shoots her mother in suburban Boca Raton" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good thing she didn't kill herself like the 3 year old. Play guns and real guns don't mix! By MICHAEL LaFORGIA Palm Beach Post Staff ...

Thread: "7-year-old shoots her mother in suburban Boca Raton"

Good thing she didn't kill herself like the 3 year old. Play guns and real guns don't mix!

By MICHAEL LaFORGIA

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, May 23, 2008

A sleeping woman was shot twice by her 7-year-old daughter this afternoon in a neighborhood west of Boca Raton, authorities said.

The woman, 38, appeared to be the victim of an accidental shooting at 9592 Richmond Circle, near Yamato Road and U.S. 441, said Teri Barbera, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman.

Barbera said the woman was asleep in her bedroom when her daughter walked over to a nightstand and picked up a handgun, which accidentally fired.

The woman, whose name wasn't released, was shot once in the forearm and once in the neck, Barbera said.

Paramedics got the call about 3:45 p.m. They drove the woman to Delray Medical Center, where she's expected to recover, Barbera said.

I can understand one accidental shot but then you have a second one and even if say it's from holding onto the gun after recoil the gun is still pointed at mom on the second shot,I don't think this was accidental something tells me kid had a beef with mom
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Agreed.

And to score not one but two hits as well following recoil.
    Purposeful.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

pax
    When teaching a beginner, I always make sure to load only one round for that first shot. If you put more than one round in, there's never any telling where the second shot will go -- but if the newbie is very much startled or frightened by the first round, it's just about a guarantee that the second round will go.

Could be a 7 year old deliberately tried to kill her mom. But ... *skeptical look* ... I don't believe it.

Given what I've seen on the range and the weird ways people physically react to that first shot, I'd be willing to believe the first shot was simple accident and then a hellaciously startled kid's reflexive response (or terrified flinging away of the gun) caused another accidental shot.*

pax

* "Accident" used here in the sense of, "the kid didn't mean to fire." Leaving a loaded gun where a kid could get it was pure negligence, not accidental.
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

But Pax how often do those same folks hit the target, with both shots?
    Considering trajectory and movement of the gun as well as the shooter (assumed that they were startled) and OMG ouch I just got shot movement of the mom being shot at...to get both rounds on target that is pretty darn good (or bad) luck on the part of the assumedly not purposeful shooter.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

pax
    Jang,

Did you ever go over to YouTube and see all the videos of complete ignoramuses taking their friends out to target shoot? Almost without exception, those videos go something like this:

1) "Helpful friend" puts a gun in the hand of a rank beginner, with no instruction

2) Beginner pulls trigger (and you can see them jump about two feet in the air from the surprise, and all their muscles clench from reflex)

3) Beginner points the gun in some totally stupid direction, starts laughing unhappily (you know that sound people make when bordering hysteria) and says, "ohmygoshohmygosh!" while waving the gun around until someone either takes the gun away or the video cuts out. (Well, sometimes they say it a bit more strongly than that.)

The point is that waving the gun around after it fires is totally predictable behavior, the first time someone ever fires a gun. Without instruction, that's just about inevitably what they do.

So this little girl gets her mom's gun. Plays with it. First shot goes off. The girl jumps and is startled, possibly making the gun fire again immediately while it's still pointed at the mom (yep, can happen). More likely, that second shot went off when the kid had the "ohmygoshohmygosh!" reaction, waving the gun around stupidly (or flinging it away from herself jerkily) with her finger on the trigger.

It's entirely likely -- and I'd believe that sooner than I would believe the kid set out to shoot her mom deliberately.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed.

And to score not one but two hits as well following recoil.
    Purposeful.

- Janq
    Little girl's got a better hit ratio than the New York City cops.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Pax,

I'm not saying that a reflexive jerk resulting in a second discharge does nto happen.
    Yes I've seen as much on YouTube and I've seen it occur IRL at public ranges as well.
    What I am saying though is to pull off a double tap to the target, an assumedly moving target upon being shot the first time, with success from a reflexive discharge is a stretch. Not impossible, but a stretch.

This would not be the first instance, this year alone, of a child attempting or intending to do their parent harm with purpose using tools.

- Janq

Update

Starting to sound like an accidental double tap;

Neighbor recalls clamor after girl, 7, shot mom

By VERONICA MARTINEZ

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, May 25, 2008

A suburban Boca Raton woman whose 7-year-old daughter shot her accidentally Friday has been moved from the intensive care unit at Delray Medical Center to its trauma step-down unit and is doing much better, a hospital spokeswoman said Sunday night.

Earlier, the next-door neighbor who called 911 recalled the day of the shooting.

Chris Wong, 23, was in his driveway Friday evening, waiting for a friend to arrive, when he saw the daughter of his neighbor, 38-year-old Sharda Brijmohan, run from her house toward him, pleading, "Chris, Chris, come quick, come quick!"

"I didn't think about it twice," Wong said. "I just saw her and followed her."

As he rushed behind, Wong noticed the girl had a gun in her hand, said his father, Morris Wong, 59, speaking for his "too shy" son.

"When he saw the gun, he figured something was terribly wrong," Morris Wong said.

Chris told the girl to put down the gun. She obeyed and laid it on a beige plastic chair sitting just outside her home's front door.

The gun the girl was holding was a Glock 9mm automatic pistol. Moments earlier, she had found it in her parents' bedroom, on a nightstand, while her mother slept. The girl had picked it up and it discharged twice accidentally, hitting her mother in the arm and the neck.

But Chris Wong didn't know this. He just saw Brijmohan struggling as she walked toward the door, blood covering her neck.

"He helped her, called 911, and told the little girl to get some towels to help suppress the blood until medical help would come," Morris Wong said.

Chris said, "I guess I'm glad I happened to be there at the time because nobody else was home to help."

Morris, who spoke to Rabindranauth Brijmohan Sunday regarding his wife's condition, said, "She's definitely better. They expect full recovery."

Meanwhile, authorities say they are at the preliminary stage of the investigation.

"We didn't find any evidence of foul play so as of right now, it does appear accidental," Teri Barbera, spokeswoman for the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, said.

Morris Wong said the father had heard a suspicious noise the night before and had taken out the gun. On Friday morning, he rushed off to work and forgot to lock it away, he said.

"It was terrible that this happened to them," Morris said. The neighbors are friendly and kind, and the daughter is a cheerful and sweet."

Chris agreed.

"She's a nice little girl, well-behaved. It's not like she's ever used a gun or anything. It was just an unfortunate coincidence that she happened to find it."

Ugh. As I recall, that area had a lot of politicians who recently voted against FL HB503. This ain't gonna help.

-JT

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I'm trying to figure out how the pistol was laid on the nightstand in such a way that it would be pointed at the mother while it was being picked up.

The father set the gun down on the nightstand in the middle of the night. If the nightstand is on his side of the bed, wouldn't it be logical to set it down with the muzzle pointing away and with the grip in a natural position to be picked up with his dominant hand, i.e. his palm facing down as he set the gun down?

If the nightstand is on her side of the bed, would he really set the gun down with the muzzle pointed at her head (and also in his general direction)?

I can understand that to a 7 year old, the trigger seems to be the natural place that you put your index finger as you pick up a gun. What is the average weight of a glock trigger? 5-ish pounds? With some take-up? Every time? Definitely not a 2lb. single action trigger.

It seems that the simplest answer to the questions are that the daughter picked up the gun, aimed it towards her mother, and pulled the trigger intentionally, at least the first time. Maybe she said "Pow!" as she pulled the trigger.

I've read this post on several forums and someone always has to make the comment about guns not being in reach of children. Parenting involves training, teaching, and supervising. If these things are done, it doesn't matter where the guns are.
    Tragic accident. Just don't try to start legislating gun storage because some child may not have had parenting that involves gun education. If you have kids, make sure they have ample opportunity (more than they ask) to handle your weapons while supervised. Take the curiosity away. And as far as my experience has shown, 30 seconds is about all they want to handle a gun when offered. After that, it is no more than a book on a table.
    Just remember, only anti-gunners deal with absolutes. Lets not play that game. Every situation, and every child is different. Know your kids.
    No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    ---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Sponsored Links