BAD: Woman Arrested After Son's Friend Steals Gun - West Haven, CT

This is a discussion on BAD: Woman Arrested After Son's Friend Steals Gun - West Haven, CT within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; West Haven woman arrested after her gun shows up on MySpace -- -- Newsday.com WEST HAVEN, Conn. - West Haven police have arrested a woman ...

Thread: BAD: Woman Arrested After Son's Friend Steals Gun - West Haven, CT

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

West Haven woman arrested after her gun shows up on MySpace -- -- Newsday.com

WEST HAVEN, Conn. - West Haven police have arrested a woman after linking her gun to a photo on the MySpace social networking Web site.

Police say the picture of a Bailey Middle School student pointing a gun at another student led to the arrest 38-year-old Elizabeth Paris, the mother of one of the teenagers.

Paris has been charged with risk of injury to a minor, reckless endangerment and failure to properly store a firearm.

Police say the charges are the result of her failure to properly lock up the weapon. Police say a 14-year-old boy visiting his friend took a gun belonging to Paris, his friend's mother.

The photo was posted to a Web site on MySpace, leading to the investigation.
    Wow. PD's are going high-tech to solve their cases, good for them. Bad on the woman for not properly securing her weapon. If it was a handgun it should have been on her hip.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    I really hate these kinds of stories and the laws involved.

The kid STOLE the gun.

Yeah, the lady should have stored it better; or carried. But, this is just another example of misplacing the culpability from the perp. to someone else.

Would the police /DA prosecute if someone broke into the house and stole the gun?

Stealing is stealing. End of story. And that should be the end of the prosecution of the woman.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Actually in CT, if you don't report a stolen firearm within 72 hours of discovery (or within 72 hours of when you should have discovered it) you will be in trouble with the law:

Gov. M. Jodi Rell has approved a new law that will penalize gun owners if they fail to report lost or stolen firearms to police within 72 hours.

The legislation was the culmination of a three-year effort to reduce the number of stolen guns being used in crimes across Connecticut. The law takes effect Oct. 1, joining similar ones on the books in Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Ohio and Rhode Island. Other states are also considering such proposals.

Under the new law, a first-time failure to report a lost or stolen gun within 72 hours of discovering it is missing is an infraction, punishable by a fine up to $90. Any subsequent, unintentional failure to report a lost or stolen gun is a felony that carries a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to $5,000.

If gun owners intentionally fail to report lost or stolen guns, they could be sent to prison for up to 10 years.
    [sarcasm]Another wonderful gun law in this great state. [/sarcasm]
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Well, I lent the neighbor a few of my baseball bats and bases yesterday afternoon. I guess I should go get the bats back in case he decides to threaten somebody with it, right?

I mean, that's much worse. He didn't even steal it from me. I willingly gave it to him. I should probably be locked up forever.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Hopyard,

Stealing is not stealing when it comes to firearms, proper and lawful storage, and children/minors who have access to as much.
    So say CT state law...

Sec. 29-37i. (Formerly Sec. 29-37c). Responsibilities re storage of loaded firearms with respect to minors. No person shall store or keep any loaded firearm on any premises under his control if he knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor unless such person (1) keeps the firearm in a securely locked box or other container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or (2) carries the firearm on his person or within such close proximity thereto that he can readily retrieve and use it as if he carried it on his person. For the purposes of this section, "minor" means any person under the age of sixteen years.

Source - CHAPTER 529* DIVISION OF STATE POLICE
    The charges are proper.
    Also I wonder if she had reported the firearm as being stolen, or even noticed it was missing. I'd bet the answer is no to both which would help buoy the case against her toward RE and risk of injury to a minor.

CT has a specific lw toward loss and theft of a firearm in specific as well...

LOST OR STOLEN FIREARM REPORTS

Public Act 07-163 requires the lawful owners of any firearm, instead of just assault weapons, stolen from them to file a police report within 72 hours after they discover or should have discovered the theft. It also requires them to report any lost firearm, including an assault weapon, within the same deadlines.

Prior law required the assault weapon owner to report the theft to any law enforcement authority. The act requires theft and loss reports for all firearms, including assault weapons, to be made to the local police department for the town in which the theft or loss occurred or, if the town does not have a police department, the State Police troop having jurisdiction. It requires the department or troop to immediately forward a copy of the report to the DPS commissioner.

A first-time unintentional failure to report within the deadline is an infraction, punishable by a fine of up to $ 90; a subsequent unintentional failure is a class D felony. Any intentional failure to report is a class C felony.

The act takes effect October 1, 2007.

Source - REPORTS OF LOST OR STOLEN GUNS
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links