10-year sentence in shooting case

This is a discussion on 10-year sentence in shooting case within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; See: Judge orders 10-year sentence in shooting case - Newrivervalley.com Judge orders 10-year sentence in shooting case Carl Matherly pleaded guilty to attempted murder and ...

Thread: 10-year sentence in shooting case

VIP Member

10-year sentence in shooting case

See:
    Judge orders 10-year sentence in shooting case - Newrivervalley.com

Judge orders 10-year sentence in shooting case
    Carl Matherly pleaded guilty to attempted murder and other charges on Friday.
    By Greg Esposito
    381-1675

RADFORD -- A Montgomery County man who shot himself and his girlfriend in September 2006 pleaded guilty Friday to several charges related to the shooting in Radford Circuit Court.

Carl Matherly, 60, will serve 10 years of a 28-year sentence handed down by Circuit Court Judge Joey Showalter, who accepted a plea agreement.

Matherly pleaded guilty to seven charges, including two counts of attempted murder, multiple firearms charges and one malicious wounding charge.

Police arrested Matherly on Sept. 18 at his home on Camp Carysbrook Road in the Riner area after a dispute he had with his girlfriend, Shirley Taylor, earlier that day led to him shooting her in the abdomen at her Radford home. She survived. As police broke down the door of Matherly's home to serve him with warrants in connection with the earlier shooting, he shot himself in the neck.

In addition to malicious wounding, firearms and one attempted murder charge related to the shooting of Taylor, Matherly pleaded guilty to the second charge of attempted murder plus shooting at an occupied vehicle related to a second incident that day. He shot at Taylor's daughter's vehicle when she pulled into her mother's driveway shortly after the shooting, Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Jason Annis said in describing the evidence that would have been presented had a trial been held.

"Witnesses heard a second shot when the gun was pointed at the vehicle," Annis said.

After Matherly pleaded guilty, Showalter asked him if he had anything to say.

"I'd like to apologize to the Taylor family for what I put them through, sir," Matherly said.
    Only 10 years???
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

10 Years is better than the 4-5 for the 16 year old gang bangers that are involved in the same thing. And I bet 10 years at 60 years old is a lot more effective than 4-5 at 16 years old.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    10 Years is better than the 4-5 for the 16 year old gang bangers that are involved in the same thing. And I bet 10 years at 60 years old is a lot more effective than 4-5 at 16 years old.
    True. Very true!

However, as a 68 year old, I don't think walking at 70 (assuming he does the full time) is enough.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    True. Very true!

However, as a 68 year old, I don't think walking at 70 (assuming he does the full time) is enough.
    I didn't say it was enough...I do however think that this sentence has a much smaller chance of producing a 'repeat offender' than many, many other sentences that get passed down.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

In FL he would have paid a heavier price...

We have the '10-20-Life' plan...

Mandates a minimum 10 year prison term for certain felonies, or attempted felonies in which the offender possesses a firearm or destructive device
    Mandates a minimum 20 year prison term when the firearm is discharged
    Mandates a minimum 25 years to LIFE if someone is injured or killed
    Mandates a minimum 3 year prison term for possession of a firearm by a felon
    Mandates that the minimum prison term is to be served consecutively to any other term of imprisonment imposed
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I didn't say it was enough
    Didn't mean to suggest that you had.

Also agreed with your observation re: younger felons.

10 years for attempt is better that the 15 for two murders that was handed down in the next county over. Then that prep gets out and shoots a couple more victims.

But both frost me. One being more egregious that the other doesn't make me like the other.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Ten years makes me sick!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In FL he would have paid a heavier price...

We have the '10-20-Life' plan...

Mandates a minimum 10 year prison term for certain felonies, or attempted felonies in which the offender possesses a firearm or destructive device
    Mandates a minimum 20 year prison term when the firearm is discharged
    Mandates a minimum 25 years to LIFE if someone is injured or killed
    Mandates a minimum 3 year prison term for possession of a firearm by a felon
    Mandates that the minimum prison term is to be served consecutively to any other term of imprisonment imposed

Lets see if thiese laws really work when I go to court in August
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Links