"Teen dead, officer wounded in shootout"

This is a discussion on "Teen dead, officer wounded in shootout" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One BG gone, another LEO injured; A midday shootout between police and two alleged teen burglars in Northeast Miami-Dade left one suspect dead and a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Teen dead, officer wounded in shootout"

"Teen dead, officer wounded in shootout"

One BG gone, another LEO injured;

A midday shootout between police and two alleged teen burglars in Northeast Miami-Dade left one suspect dead and a 27-year-old officer wounded.

Posted on Sun, May. 25, 2008

BY NICHOLAS SPANGLER, JENNIFER LEBOVICH AND DAVID OVALLE
    dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

A Miami-Dade officer was wounded Sunday near North Miami Beach in a midday backyard firefight with a teenage burglar, whom police eventually shot dead.

Officer David Carrero, 27, from the Intracoastal District, suffered bullet wounds to his legs.

Police identified the dead teen as Giovanni Thermidor, a known neighborhood burglar who had just turned 18.

Investigators believe Thermidor opened fire on arriving police officers -- a common occurrence recently in the recent past in South Florida, where a slew of law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded during the past year.

"These are troubled times -- politicians are cutting back on manpower and the streets are getting meaner," said Miami-Dade police union president John Rivera, who went to the scene.

Captured was Kharl Henry Lebrun, 17, a suspected accomplice.

Thermidor, a former North Miami High student, has been arrested four times since 2005, state records show. He and Lebrun were arrested in March on burglary and robbery charges. Both were arrested again on charges of burglary to an unoccupied dwelling in April. The dramatic scene on a sun-drenched Memorial Day weekend Sunday took place along the 1000 block of Northeast 170th Terrace in an unincorporated "doughnut hole'' neighborhood surrounded by North Miami Beach.

Young men in a blue 1991 Toyota were surveilling an empty house, drove away but came back, said neighbor Richard Horvitz, 51.

"So that's when I got the garden clippers and began trimming the bushes to see what they were doing," said Horvitz, who wrote down their license plate number on a Walgreens receipt.

The suspects parked a block over. About 12:30 p.m., police dispatchers radioed the call: a burglary in progress at a house in the 1000 block of Northeast 169th Terrace, where 14-year-old Alan Arce was inside.

The teen heard a pounding on the door, peeked through the window and saw two men outside. One wore a blue sweater and the other a gray tank top, he said.

He refused to let them in. They ran into his backyard.

Alan dialed 911, went to his bedroom and hid, he told The Miami Herald.

He called his father on the phone: "Papa. We're getting robbed," he said.

Officers from Miami-Dade's Intracoastal District, which patrols the neighborhood, rushed to the scene. A perimeter was set up.

Officer Carrero, wearing his bullet-proof vest, was searching along with K-9 officers. The gun battle began when Thermidor emerged from bushes behind Horvitz's house a block over, police believe.

The officer was shot several times in the lower body, said Miami-Dade Detective Roy Rutland, a police spokesman.

Witnesses described a wild scene with officers shooting and taking cover behind parked cars. Amah Kromah and pal Daimein Stanback were coming out of a nearby Walgreens.

"We ducked," Kromah said. "We didn't want to be hit by a stray bullet. Stanback said they saw officers crouching between cars, firing back. Thermidor was fatally shot by arriving members of Miami-Dade's Special Response Team. ‘‘They continued firing shots back and forth for a while," Stanback said. "They didn't know where they were shooting."

Aaron Knobel, 12, said the gun battle was "very loud and extremely scary."

The wounded Carrero was pulled out and airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Lebrun faces several charges, which could include felony murder. In Florida, someone who commits certain felonies in which someone dies can be held liable for that death.

Police would not say what type of weapon Thermidor carried, but said only the victim opened fire on the officers. It's unclear whether Lebrun was armed.

A K-9 dog named Rocco helping in the search for the suspects was shot and taken to Hollywood Animal Hospital. The Belgium Malinois was in stable condition late Sunday.

Carrero joined Miami-Dade police in 2001 as a public service aide and later became a patrolman. Rutland said Carrero comes from "a law enforcement family."

He was honored in 2004 along with other officers for helping rescue two small children from a burning house in the 400 block of Northwest 82nd Street.

Carrero and other officers helped pry the bars off a house and led the children to safety.

"Thankfully our officer is stable and alert and talking with family," Rutland said. ‘‘We're all affected when this happens. Unfortunately, it's happening way too often."

Sunday's violent episode comes during a spate of violence toward officers in Florida. During the last year in Miami-Dade, two officers were killed and four wounded.

In September, Officer Jose Somohano was fatally shot and three others wounded during a gun battle in Cutler Ridge. In January, Miami Detective James Walker was killed in a firefight in North Miami Beach.

In March, Miami-Dade Officer Robert Gonzalez was shot and wounded by a prowler in Cutler Ridge.

In 2007, 16 law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty across Florida, including two Broward Sheriff's deputies.

2. Remove Ads

BGs opening fire on police seems to happen more and more :-(

Police would not say what type of weapon Thermidor carried, but said only the victim opened fire on the officers. It's unclear whether Lebrun was armed.
    Umm...the officer and the kid inside the house were victims. Thermidor is a dead (scumbag) suspect.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Kind of makes you wonder WHY anyone would want to continue living in South Florida..getting worse every day.

Orlando is also getting a lot worse than it once was...and that's only 2 hours away... We seldom go there anymore!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    And to think I was strongly considering a move to Florida... What is it about that state?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Gunshine state!

Florida is a third world country in all but name.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And to think I was strongly considering a move to Florida... What is it about that state?
    Eh, it's Miami-Dade. Much of Central-Florida's lower income counties still haven't recovered from the hurricanes of a few years ago (where I lived is becoming the urban-sprawl equivalent of a ghetto), and the biggest cities are being hit hard by the emigration of businesses from Florida.

Best wishes to a speedy recovery for the human and canine officers, and good shooting to put at least one BG down and out.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Kind of makes you wonder WHY anyone would want to continue living in South Florida..getting worse every day.

Orlando is also getting a lot worse than it once was...and that's only 2 hours away... We seldom go there anymore!
    Holy cow!!!! I was even contemplating on retiring to Florida.
    God bless our troops!

You guys shouldve seen the media circus outside the trauma center yesterday.
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Balsac View Post
    You guys shouldve seen the media circus outside the trauma center yesterday.
    In reference to this incident? I could only imagine... I've been there and done that a few times with officer involved shootings, both as the shooter and the injured party at the hospital or just there to see that a buddy is OK... the media certainly turns things into a circus in a hurry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was just telling my girldfriend recently that these young ones are the ones who have no hesitation to kill you. There is no rehab for a five times offender. Sad to say but the officer just saved taxpayers lots of money.

I feel sorry for the hard working people in Miami/Dade. It's becoming a BG's free for all. The only thing that will help these officers are armed home owners who can call 911 and shoot at the same time so the only thing left for PO's to do is to chalk outline a dead BG.
    NRA Member

Let me state clearly...anywhere above Orlando and west of Jacksonville is fine...Gainesville (where I am) and the panhandle are still OK.
    Some communities along the Gulf are also fine places to enjoy the weather...

I do love FL...and it's not like crime isn't growing in the other parts of the country...

Stay armed...anywhere you live...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Update

In deep doo doo;

DADE SHOOTOUT
    17-year-old charged in Dade shootout
    A teenager suspected of involvement in burglaries that led to a backyard gunfight with police has been charged with second-degree murder.

Posted on Tue, May. 27, 2008

By JENNIFER LEBOVICH AND JACQUELINE CHARLES
    jlebovich@MiamiHerald.com

Three years ago, Kharl-Henry Lebrun was brought to Miami from Haiti by his father, who wanted his only son to escape the horrors of his homeland.

Today, the 17-year-old faces charges of second-degree felony murder, attempted murder of police officers, shooting a police dog and attempted armed burglary.

His friend and accomplice, Giovanni Thermidor, 18, was shot dead after opening fire on several officers, striking one three times, police said.

Miami-Dade Officer David Carrero, 27, remained at Jackson Memorial Hospital in good condition Monday; Lebrun was being held at the Miami-Dade Juvenile Assessment Center.

''If I knew this would have happened, I would have left him in Haiti,'' Jean Lebrun said about his son.

In Florida, a person who commits certain felonies in which someone dies can be held liable for that death.

On Sunday, the teens tried to burglarize at least three homes before parking at 1045 NE 169th Ter., according to Lebrun's arrest report released Monday.

The two were armed with a crowbar; Thermidor was also packing a 9mm semiautomatic handgun.

The two tried to break into the back door of a fourth home, but the people inside called police.

The teens jumped over a fence and pried open the back door of a house at 1050 NE 170th Ter., the report said.

POLICE CHASE

The sound of police sirens sent the teens running. Lebrun was arrested at 1100 NE 170th St. Before getting caught, he had dumped his hooded sweat shirt and gloves in a trash can.

Thermidor, however, ran to another backyard at 1040 NE 170th Ter. where he opened fire on at least four officers, the report said.

Hit were Officer Carrero and a police canine.

Police fired back, killing Thermidor.

Carrero, who had joined the Miami-Dade Police Department in 2001 as a public service aide and later became a patrolman with the Intracoastal District, was struck three times in the lower body.

''He's doing fine as far as I know,'' his father-in-law, Scott Harrell, said from North Carolina.

In 2004, Carrero was honored along with other officers for helping rescue two small children from a burning house in the 400 block of Northwest 82nd Street.

The officers pried off the window bars to save the children.

Carrero and his wife, Kristin, have a 3-year-old son, his father-in-law said.

The police dog, a Belgian Malinois named Rocco, was treated at Hollywood Animal Hospital and released Monday.

Lebrun confessed to his role in the attempted burglaries, Miami-Dade police said.

Both Lebrun and Thermidor had been arrested before -- including in March when they were arrested on burglary and robbery charges.

Thermidor, a former North Miami Senior High student, had been arrested four times since 2005, state records show.

On Monday, Jean Lebrun painted a portrait of his frustrations trying to discipline his son.

The student at North Miami Senior High was increasingly influenced by friends, including Thermidor, and Jean could not find a way to get his son to listen, he said.

''I would get on my knees and cry to him, telling him please give me a chance'' to raise him properly, Jean Lebrun told The Miami Herald.

Jean Lebrun said he only met Thermidor once, but that Kharl-Henry said Thermidor bullied him, threatening that if Kharl-Henry didn't listen, bad things could happen to him.

Thermidor threatened: ''You could even die,'' the father recounted.

''He was a good kid in Haiti, quiet, when he first came here he didn't have any problems,'' said Lebrun, who works the night shift as a valet at a condominium.

FATHER'S PAIN

The father said he saw a change in his son beginning this year, and his grades began to slip.

He grappled with how to discipline his son, who had been coming home late and on occasion not sleeping at the house.

Lebrun said he even called police on his son. When Kharl-Henry hadn't come home on Friday or Saturday night, he intended to call authorities once again.

Instead, police called him Sunday to say his son had been arrested.

''I don't know what to do,'' he said, adding that he hasn't been able to eat since the call. ``I'm in shock.''

Kharl-Henry Lebrun, 17, faces charges of second-degree felony murder, attempted murder of police officers, shooting a police dog and attempted armed burglary.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Kinda makes you wonder if these are people from Mexico. There's an all-out war on police and the government in Mexico. Same pattern in south Florida. I'm glad I escaped last year - now to get my son out of there...........
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links