UGLY: 1 dead after church fundraiser shooting

This is a discussion on UGLY: 1 dead after church fundraiser shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 6abc.com: 1 dead after church fundraiser shooting 5/26/08 CHRISTIANA, Del. - May 25, 2008 (WPVI) -- A man opened fire at a church fundraiser in ...

Thread: UGLY: 1 dead after church fundraiser shooting

6abc.com: 1 dead after church fundraiser shooting 5/26/08

CHRISTIANA, Del. - May 25, 2008 (WPVI) -- A man opened fire at a church fundraiser in Christiana, Delaware Sunday night.

It happened around 7:00 at the Christiana Hilton, located at 100 Continental Drive in Newark, Delaware, during a function held by the Saint Mary Coptic Church.

A 50-year-old man from Philadelphia was shot in the head. Police say the suspect was in attendance at the fundraiser and opened fire at the conclusion of the victim's presentation to the group.

During the shooting a female relative of the victim grabbed the suspect and others jumped on top of the suspect. The female relative and the suspect were both injured in the struggle.

The police arrived at the scene and transported the shooting victim, the female relative and the suspect to Christiana Hospital. The victim was later pronounced dead.

Delaware State Police are interviewing everyone that was in the room at the time of the shooting. There were nearly 100 people in the room at the time of the shooting.

Police recovered 2 semi-automatic weapons at the scene. No word on why the suspect went in shooting.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

...and just why shouldn't I carry my firearm to church?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Maybe church goers should get licensed to go to church! ;-) E.g. test in how to count the collection money right and dispute resolution? How to deal with the "unsafed" ?

At the church that I go to, I would say that there would be a minimum of 20 CCWs in our Sunday morning services. We have had two CCW classes at the church and have had about 60 people go through it.

As there seem to be a rapidly increasing number of these incidents, CCW in church is a real necessity or even better, an organized security team is called for. My church implemented this over 6 years ago and it really helps with the peace of mind. If you are interested in putting together a team in your church check out churchsecuritymember.com

Church shooting

I live and worship in California. I CCW every Sunday and when I attend church functions on weekdays. We are new members so I don't know how else has a CCW.Only 3 know that I CCW.My wife,myself,and the Lord,for now.

Church carry is illegal in GA. I didn't think the government was supposed to regulate churches.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    Church carry is illegal in GA. I didn't think the government was supposed to regulate churches.
    Very good point!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Is church carry in GA like in SC that it it illegal unless you have permission from whoever is in charge. This is the gubmint staying out of it as if they said that it was legal then they would be telling the churches what they had to do. They are not regulating the churches at all but saying the church can do whatever it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Is church carry in GA like in SC that it it illegal unless you have permission from whoever is in charge. This is the gubmint staying out of it as if they said that it was legal then they would be telling the churches what they had to do. They are not regulating the churches at all but saying the church can do whatever it wants.
    No, it is illegal, period. The pastor/priest/vicar has no say in the matter. In fact, it appears that a pastor living in the parsonage on church property cannot have a firearm on the property.

Except when I use to teach kiddy Sunday school, I always carry to church.

Concealed is concealed. No one is ever going to know.

In Mississippi, it's illegal to carry in church to the best of my knowledge. Same with schools, etc. Which means, if you carry in church, don't put it into the bulletin. You know how the bluehairs like to talk.

No, it is illegal, period. The pastor/priest/vicar has no say in the matter. In fact, it appears that a pastor living in the parsonage on church property cannot have a firearm on the property.
    Unless the Deacons would want to bring charges against hin he would be the one to grant permission to carry in the parsonage so he could grant himself permission as well as to any of the members. If the board is mad enough with the preacher to have him arrested for carrying a gun then that church has more problems than just that.

Links