Good: Would-be robber shot by victim.

This is a discussion on Good: Would-be robber shot by victim. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Would-be robber shot by victimMonday, May 26, 2008 | 10:10 AM abc13.com: Would-be robber shot to death by victim in southeast Houston 5/26/08 HOUSTON -- ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: Would-be robber shot by victim.

Good: Would-be robber shot by victim.

Would-be robber shot by victimMonday, May 26, 2008 | 10:10 AM

abc13.com: Would-be robber shot to death by victim in southeast Houston 5/26/08

HOUSTON -- A roofer fatally shot a would-be robber Sunday moments after the 21-year-old man stole the roofer's cash and cell phone, police said.
    The suspected robber shoved a pistol into the back of roofer Juan Ibarra, who was hitching a trailer to his pickup Sunday morning outside of a Houston town house complex, police said.
    The alleged robber grabbed Ibarra's cell phone and cash and began walking away, police said. But the man stopped to pick up some money that had fallen out of the wallet.
    Ibarra, who has a concealed handgun permit, pulled out a revolver and shot the man at least three times, police said. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Of course our liberal Houston Chronicle chose to not have this on the first page of either their web site our morning delivery.

2. Remove Ads

I have always enjoyed stories with happy endings...

This just in...

Team CCW 1

Team Scumbag 0

Very Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

hmm, i would have taken aim, yelled "drop it", and then if he turned around i'd shoot him. not that the thug didn't deserve it, but legally that sounds mildly iffy--shooting a retreating threat in the back...

Don't get me wrong, the perp is dead; ones less scumbag, but he was walking away. At that point, where is the "fear of great bodily injury or death" or can you do that in Texas?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Here in texas if somebody is stealing property that cannot be replaced you can shoot to stop them,unlike other states just because you committed an armed robbery and are walking away doesn't exempt you from being shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Here in texas if somebody is stealing property that cannot be replaced you can shoot to stop them,unlike other states just because you committed an armed robbery and are walking away doesn't exempt you from being shot
    I am definitely going to have to consider moving to Texas!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Unfortunately, in NY, that shooting sounds like a "no-no". You have to be in direct threat of your life to use deadly force. Sounds like the BG was departing, and the threat of attack as over. That would probably bring a murder rap here.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I am definitely going to have to consider moving to Texas!
    +1
    "An armed society is a polite society"

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    hmm, i would have taken aim, yelled "drop it", and then if he turned around i'd shoot him. not that the thug didn't deserve it, but legally that sounds mildly iffy--shooting a retreating threat in the back...
    Hmmmmm. i guess i missed the shot him in the back part??? Where was that determined???

The point of a retreating threat is valid one though, as my CHL instructor mentioned frequently "you can beat the wrap, but you won't beat the ride". He was also partial to "it's only time and money" you'll need the time for for giving hours with the police report, and money for your lawyer....

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    I have to agree with you. At that point, the guy was not a threat. Now , if he had yelled stop, and the guy wheeled around at him with gun in hand to shoot.... different matter.

I love Texas common sense laws.
    NRA Member

He stopped to pick up money he had dropped,he was still armed and still a threat,what if he decided he didn't want any witnesses,besides lots of robbers are targeting latinos because illegals don't use banks and can have large sums of money on them or in their homes,by the way if the guy robbed a bank and was running away would deadly force be justified,you bet you're sweet bippy it would
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I think the deciding factor here is that the BG was still armed, therefore he still posed a threat (at least that seems sufficient for Texas). That and only the survivor gets to tell the story.

Must say Texas commonsense law does sound good.

folks, there was no mention that the perp was shot in the back. this is an assumption in our part. If the perp turned, made any further threatening gestures, then he is fair game. I guess in TX it really doesn't matter that he is walking away. Don't mess with Texas.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Unfortunately, in NY, that shooting sounds like a "no-no". You have to be in direct threat of your life to use deadly force. Sounds like the BG was departing, and the threat of attack as over. That would probably bring a murder rap here.
    Just another reason why I would never in a million years consider moving to New York.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links