"Gunmen kill teen during robbery"

This is a discussion on "Gunmen kill teen during robbery" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by socuban I frequently come home in the wee hours of the morning mostly on the weekends after having gone out for dinner/dancing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Gunmen kill teen during robbery"

Quote Originally Posted by socuban View Post
    I frequently come home in the wee hours of the morning mostly on the weekends after having gone out for dinner/dancing and/or visiting family/friends.

I also leave the house in the wee hours of the morning when I take the boat out for fishing.

There are many people that I know that because of work, come and go at all hours of the night and day.

I guess my point is that not everyone out at 4:00 a.m. is a criminal or "shouldn't" be out that late. Yes the risks are elevated that you may come into harm's way but you can't stop living because of fear.

I choose not to become a victim and will continue to live my life as if it is the only one I'll ever have until some higher authority tells me otherwise
    Try doing that in down town Kingston at even 10pm at night... you hardly see even the locals out past 8-9pm... and 4am is unthinkable... easy pickings. The homeless bums and the stray dogs know better too, either they learn the pattern of what times the gunshots are heard, or die being an easy target for a gunman wanting "target practice."
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    1969; walking from a girl's apartment to where I was staying about a mile away..... down a side walk... 12:00 at night. Car drives by slowing with a guy hanging at the window really "checking me out and staring me down". Pull up and slow down next to the guy walking about 150 ft in front of me, doing the same thing.... then...
    BLAM BLAM BLAM.... guy drops to the ground and car speeds off.

I had gotten the tag number when they went by me, car model, color, etc. I was 19 yrs old.

When I raced up to him, and people were coming out of their houses..... seeing me leaning over to check this guy... asking what happened.... I yelled call 911. They had shot him in the head, and he was dead before he ever hit the ground. That was quite obvious.

I was the only witness. It was a gang area and Police asked if I could id them.... I said "hell yes"... the officer said he would forget that he heard that.... as witnesses around there usually ended up dead. I told him I would stand my ground on it.... They saw the car, arrested the 4 guys about 2 miles away on a main drag. One of them "instantly confessed" when arrested.... so the officer comes over and tells me my info lead to their arrest, and the confession meant I would probably never need to testify.

They did NOT KNOW ... the victim. It was an initiation.... and they had to shoot someone who was hispanic.
    See he was checking you out to see your ethnicity then... talk about thoughtless... as bad as the desperate losers out there who would blow your brains out for a $20, how much lower can you go by killing someone of a certain ethnic group etc only to join something that makes you life even worst off than before?

What kind of gang was it? Were they Hispanic too?
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not to take anything away from the victim here, but... he was 16 and in the 8th grade? Am I the only one who thinks that's a little odd?
    its stated that he missed lots of school due to Asthma.... even so, that is still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Anyone else keep thinking about all the 'cold-blooded killers' walking around our society...ready to ask for your wallet, just before shooting you?
    It actually makes a lot of sense from the perspective of a criminal - we all plan to reach for the gun instead of the wallet when we're robbed.

Seems to me like the only real solution is to stay very vigilant, and to reduce the statistical likelihood of being attacked in the first place.

I know people say crime happens in good neighborhoods too - it's true - but it happens at a much, much lower rate. Your odds of being randomly bumped off for your shoes are nearly nill in my neighborhood. Not non-existent, but the crime statistics that our police publish support my assertion. There's been one assault in the last year within a square mile of my home - one.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    It actually makes a lot of sense from the perspective of a criminal - we all plan to reach for the gun instead of the wallet when we're robbed.

Seems to me like the only real solution is to stay very vigilant, and to reduce the statistical likelihood of being attacked in the first place.

I know people say crime happens in good neighborhoods too - it's true - but it happens at a much, much lower rate. Your odds of being randomly bumped off for your shoes are nearly nill in my neighborhood. Not non-existent, but the crime statistics that our police publish support my assertion. There's been one assault in the last year within a square mile of my home - one.
    Yea but you have to leave your neighborhood sometime... I have seen some places in both Baltimore and Metro Atlanta that I would never want to be in or lost in, especially in the late night hours of 4am... that's just asking to be a victim right there.

IMHO, too many young people are to oblivious to their surrounding's... young women going home with strangers, accepting open drinks from them, walking alone at 3-4am after whatever social event they are coming from etc... besides from the handicapped and the elderly, these blind have no excuses of being frail etc they are just plain clueless.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fmr18z View Post
    It isn't just Florida, walking on just about any street, anywhere in the world, at 4:00 am makes you a prime candidate for an assault nowdays, too bad the world has regressed to this state.
    Regressed? It's been that way since the Roman empire. Only three types of people are out at 4am...cops, bad people and victims.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Which would a night auditor be? (I prefer to work at night while no one else is around, no interruptions.)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Which would a night auditor be? (I prefer to work at night while no one else is around, no interruptions.)
    Night auditor=Library cop right? Ok really I don't know what that is but if your not careful you would fall in the victim category.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I'll be living it up until you read about me in the media. Should I write my obituary now?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links