"Gunmen kill teen during robbery"

This is a discussion on "Gunmen kill teen during robbery" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow, this stinks. He probably didn't have a chance to react; Detectives are looking for the robbers who killed a 16-year-old in a robbery in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gunmen kill teen during robbery"

"Gunmen kill teen during robbery"

Wow, this stinks. He probably didn't have a chance to react;

Detectives are looking for the robbers who killed a 16-year-old in a robbery in South Miami-Dade.

Posted on Wed, May. 28, 2008

BY DAVID OVALLE
    dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

Emmanuel Lacayo, his mother remembers, was a good son.

The 16-year-old beamed after skydiving last month for the first time. He baked his mom a pineapple cake at school for Mother's Day. On Saturday, hours before going to a party, he mowed her lawn.

By sunrise, Emmanuel was dead from a robber's bullet.

Attacked by two men, Emmanuel was shot and killed Sunday morning as he walked with friends in Princeton neighborhood of South Miami-Dade.

FEW CLUES

Miami-Dade homicide detectives have few clues.

''My brother weighed 150 pounds. He was very skinny. He didn't pose a threat to anybody. Whoever did this was cold-blooded,'' said brother Armagedon Lacayo, 25.

Emmanuel's family spoke to reporters Tuesday at Miami-Dade police headquarters in an effort to drum up leads in the murder investigation.

The Cutler Ridge teen had never been in trouble with police. An asthma sufferer who missed some school because of his condition, Emmanuel attended eighth grade at Douglas MacArthur Senior High South.

The youngest of seven siblings, his goals were teenage vague. He wanted to play pro basketball. He liked his wood shop class. He stayed mostly at home, his family said.

''He was our baby,'' said Armagedon Lacayo.

On Tuesday, dabbing tearing eyes, the family spread photo prints of Emmanuel across a table. One showed him grinning, a parachute harness strapped around his torso.

About a month ago, the entire family went skydiving in Sebastian. He convinced his mother, Linda Lacayo, 50, to jump, too. ''I loved it,'' she remembered Tuesday.

''He liked the feeling of being free,'' said brother Cesar Lacayo, 26.

The night he died, Emmanuel had gone to a party with friends and returned to his home in the Serena Lakes neighborhood of Kendall about 12:30 a.m.

Sometime about 12:30 a.m., some pals picked him up and they went to Princeton to visit some girls, his family said.

WALKING WITH FRIENDS

About 4 a.m., he was walking with his friends on Southwest 256th Street and 124th Court when two men appeared and 'demanded the victims' property,'' Miami-Dade homicide detectives said Tuesday.

``They shot the victim, fleeing the area on foot.''

Said Miami-Dade Detective Jonathan Sabel: ``They were wearing black clothing. Possibly very tall.''

The killers may have been driving in a black late 1980s or early 1990s Buick LeSabre with tinted windows, witnesses told police.

''He was very loved. He didn't deserve for this to happen,'' said Cesar Lacayo.

Anyone with information can call Miami-Dade's homicide bureau at 305-471-2400 or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-8477.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Its a shame that people cannot walk the streets after dark, even daylight is becoming more dangerous, but 4:00AM??? Sheesh, I wouldnt be out in Tallahassee at 4am much less Miami-Dade.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Any the animals are out at 4am

There any no body good on the street at 4am... either people selling drugs, or selling their bodies... at lest that's all I can see on the main road from here.

A 16 year old kid shouldn't be out at 4am,I had to be home by 11pm on weekends
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It isn't just Florida, walking on just about any street, anywhere in the world, at 4:00 am makes you a prime candidate for an assault nowdays, too bad the world has regressed to this state.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Anyone else keep thinking about all the 'cold-blooded killers' walking around our society...ready to ask for your wallet, just before shooting you?
    And we wonder HOW we should react to threats like these?
    If the dreaded 'chance' of becoming a crime victim should cross anyone on this forum's path...I hope (one and all) will be able to react quickly and violently...and escape unscathed...and may the BG begin pushing us vegetation.

What a hostile world this place has become!

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I frequently come home in the wee hours of the morning mostly on the weekends after having gone out for dinner/dancing and/or visiting family/friends.

I also leave the house in the wee hours of the morning when I take the boat out for fishing.

There are many people that I know that because of work, come and go at all hours of the night and day.

I guess my point is that not everyone out at 4:00 a.m. is a criminal or "shouldn't" be out that late. Yes the risks are elevated that you may come into harm's way but you can't stop living because of fear.

I choose not to become a victim and will continue to live my life as if it is the only one I'll ever have until some higher authority tells me otherwise

Not to take anything away from the victim here, but... he was 16 and in the 8th grade? Am I the only one who thinks that's a little odd?

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not to take anything away from the victim here, but... he was 16 and in the 8th grade? Am I the only one who thinks that's a little odd?
    Not if his parents let him stay out until 4 a.m.

I can remember a few times that I didn't get home until the wee hours of the morning. I was always up to no good and I usually couldn't sit down for a week.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

1969; walking from a girl's apartment to where I was staying about a mile away..... down a side walk... 12:00 at night. Car drives by slowing with a guy hanging at the window really "checking me out and staring me down". Pull up and slow down next to the guy walking about 150 ft in front of me, doing the same thing.... then...
    BLAM BLAM BLAM.... guy drops to the ground and car speeds off.

I had gotten the tag number when they went by me, car model, color, etc. I was 19 yrs old.

When I raced up to him, and people were coming out of their houses..... seeing me leaning over to check this guy... asking what happened.... I yelled call 911. They had shot him in the head, and he was dead before he ever hit the ground. That was quite obvious.

I was the only witness. It was a gang area and Police asked if I could id them.... I said "hell yes"... the officer said he would forget that he heard that.... as witnesses around there usually ended up dead. I told him I would stand my ground on it.... They saw the car, arrested the 4 guys about 2 miles away on a main drag. One of them "instantly confessed" when arrested.... so the officer comes over and tells me my info lead to their arrest, and the confession meant I would probably never need to testify.

They did NOT KNOW ... the victim. It was an initiation.... and they had to shoot someone who was hispanic.

another one to the list
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

I'm fairly young and my two boys at very young. They won't be able to stay out as late as I did in my teens. This is not because I'll force them to stay home but because I'll lay out the pitfalls and negatives that can come from being out late at night. I'll also teach them to be aware of friends and surroundings, how to effectively defend themselves and just how much scum is out there. These thugs have chosen a path that leads to only one place and will help them to get there if try to victimize me or my family.
    NRA Member

If that boy had a dad the perps better hope they never get out of jail.

Bad news - the perp was found breathing;

2 months out of prison and he manages to destroy a life and forever anguish a family;

BY DAVID OVALLE
    dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

A felon two months out of prison is the gun-wielding robber who shot and killed 16-year-old Emmanuel Lacayo last month, Miami-Dade police say.

Mitchell Lee Simpson, 20, was booked into jail Saturday morning, charged with first-degree murder, armed robbery and two counts of attempted armed robbery, records show.

Miami-Dade's homicide bureau called Emmanuel's family about midnight with the news.

''We exhaled -- it was a load off our shoulders,'' said brother Cesar Lacayo, 26. ``We stayed up until 5 a.m., conversing, reminiscing about him.''

Emmanuel was shot May 25. He had gone to a party with friends and returned to his home in the Serena Lakes neighborhood of Kendall about 12:30 a.m.

Sometime about 12:30 a.m., some pals picked him up. They drove to Princeton to visit some girls, his family said.

About 4 a.m., he and his friends were walking on Southwest 256th Street and 124th Court when two men appeared and 'demanded the victims' property,'' Miami-Dade homicide detectives said.

The robbers took his gold chain and shot him in the head, according to an arrest report by Miami-Dade homicide Detective Jonathan Sabel.

''The horror he experienced in those moments is what gets me. He was just a kid,'' said mother Linda Lacayo, 50.

''I know when he was killed, he was terrified,'' she said.

Miami-Dade homicide's bureau had flooded the media with pleas for help.

They organized a press conference with Emmanuel's grieving family. They asked Miami-Dade mounted patrolmen to pass out fliers near Naranja Park.

It worked. Tips led to the arrest.

Two witnesses told detectives Simpson bragged about the shooting to them.

Simpson claimed to detectives he provided the gun used in the robbery to two men who later gave him $50 when the necklace was sold.

''I'm grateful for the job the police officers did on this. I'm really thankful to the community that helped -- we are relieved that this person won't do this to anybody else,'' Linda Lacayo said.

Simpson, of 11811 SW 220th St., was released from state prison in March, records show.

He had served one year and one day for burglary to an unoccupied dwelling, grand theft and trafficking in stolen property.

Man charged with killing of Kendall teen
    Miami-Dade police have arrested a man they believe shot and killed a 16-year-old Kendall boy during a robbery.

Posted on Sun, Jun. 08, 2008

Detectives are looking for other possible accomplices.

Lacayo, the youngest of seven siblings, attended school at Douglas MacArthur Senior High South. His family will hold a memorial for him at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Alpha & Omega Church, 7984 SW 56th St.

They also will ask guests to sign a petition asking lawmakers to stiffen penalties for crimes against juveniles.

Cesar Lacayo was not pleased that the suspected killer was fresh from prison.

''It's a little nerve-racking out there. The laws are a little bit too easy,'' he said.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Anyone else keep thinking about all the 'cold-blooded killers' walking around our society...ready to ask for your wallet, just before shooting you?
    And we wonder HOW we should react to threats like these?
    If the dreaded 'chance' of becoming a crime victim should cross anyone on this forum's path...I hope (one and all) will be able to react quickly and violently...and escape unscathed...and may the BG begin pushing us vegetation.

What a hostile world this place has become!

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    Practically speaking, they don't have to ask for anything, they simply take it... so they could kill you BEFORE taking your property (car, wallet, keys etc.), it's not like it's hard work to rifle through a dead man's pockets.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links