Outrage Of The Week - Mass school expels 10yo over brass case

Outrage Of The Week - Mass school expels 10yo over brass case

This is a discussion on Outrage Of The Week - Mass school expels 10yo over brass case within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Courtesy of National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action. NRA-ILA :: Legislation Outrage Of The Week This week’s outrage comes to us from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outrage Of The Week - Mass school expels 10yo over brass case

VIP Member

Thumbs down Outrage Of The Week - Mass school expels 10yo over brass case

Courtesy of National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.

NRA-ILA :: Legislation

Outrage Of The Week

This week’s outrage comes to us from Winchendon, Massachusetts where, in yet another case of “zero-tolerance” enforcement defying common sense, fourth-grader Bradley Geslak was suspended from Toy Town Elementary School for bringing a Memorial Day souvenir to school.

According to a May 29, Telegram.com article, a uniformed veteran gave the 10-year-old two empty rifle shell casings from blanks used during the town’s Memorial Day celebration Monday morning. Bradley gave one of the empty casings to his grandfather and kept the other as a souvenir. The trouble began when he took his souvenir to school the next day.

“He was just playing with it at lunch,” explained Crystal Geslak, Bradley’s mother. “He wasn't showing it to anyone; he had it in his hand and was playing with it.”

A teacher saw him with the harmless piece of brass and confiscated it. Ms. Geslak was then called at work and told to come and pick up her son, who had been suspended for five days!

Ms. Geslak arrived at the school to find her son in tears. “I was totally shocked. I couldn’t believe this was happening,” she said. “It was just an empty shell, not even from a real bullet. A sharpened pencil would be more dangerous than this piece of metal.”

“He was so proud to have been given them. His dad’s a veteran, his uncle’s a veteran, both his grandfathers are veterans. Memorial Day is a big thing to us. It’s a very important holiday and we have a big celebration every year,” Ms. Geslak said.

Ms. Geslak, who will be forced to miss work in order to stay home with her son, says she is worried about what having a “weapon-related suspension” on his school record will mean to his future.

To add insult to injury, the family says a school official told them that the shell would not be returned, and that the next step might involve assigning a probation officer to Bradley! Yes, you read that right, a probation officer.

A young boy punished over a harmless souvenir. By any standard, that’s outrageous.

If you’d like to express your concern over this incident, please visit Welcome To. To leave a voice message for Brooke Clenchy, Superintendent of Schools, please call 978-297-0031.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Well, Dave, I gotta agree with you...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Grr, I wish that I could get a giant eraser and just erase the school for their stupidity.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

That does seem over the edge. It seems as though common sense has taken a back seat to political correctness... even when it's not necessarily correct.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    You gotta think that all these pinheads are trying to one-up eachother with their zero tolerance suspensions. "You sent a student home for wearing a shirt with a picture of a gun on it?" "Oh yeah, well I suspended a fourth-grader for thinking about Memorial Day!"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Funny how in HS, there are shop classes with saws, screwdrivers, drills, arc welders, and all sorts of dangerous goodies that could be used as weapons, and yet if you're wearing or even drawing a picture of a gun or bullet, you get suspended.

This 0 tolerance BS is really ruining future generations.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The ludicrous thing about this is that the harmless piece of brass is no more dangerous than, say, a WWII helmet that had been pierced by shrapnel. Both have something to say about the price of freedom. Little Johnnie's dingleberry school "authorities" just taught him another important lesson about living amongst the brain-dead. If his parents are smart, he'll learn the appropriate lesson about what constitutes threat in our lives.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I can understand something like this coming from a liberal city and state like Winchendon, Massachusetts. The problem is the faculty and administration of that school probably have never seen an expended cartridge in their lives, especially a blank cartridge. If one of the administration there had any IQ at all they could have looked at the primer, saw that it had been fired, looked at the front of the casing and saw that the crimping had opened and nothing was inside the casing, then handed it back to the student and said something like "that's pretty neat! Why don't you put it back in your pocket so you don't lose it, then you'll have it when you get home."...obviously the adults at the school are not smarter than a fifth grader!
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Outrage Of The Week

This week’s outrage comes to us from Winchendon, Massachusetts where, in yet another case of “zero-tolerance” enforcement defying common sense, fourth-grader Bradley Geslak was suspended from Toy Town Elementary School for bringing a Memorial Day souvenir to school.

According to a May 29, Telegram.com article, a uniformed veteran gave the 10-year-old two empty rifle shell casings from blanks used during the town’s Memorial Day celebration Monday morning. Bradley gave one of the empty casings to his grandfather and kept the other as a souvenir. The trouble began when he took his souvenir to school the next day.

“He was just playing with it at lunch,” explained Crystal Geslak, Bradley’s mother. “He wasn't showing it to anyone; he had it in his hand and was playing with it.”

A teacher saw him with the harmless piece of brass and confiscated it. Ms. Geslak was then called at work and told to come and pick up her son, who had been suspended for five days!

Ms. Geslak arrived at the school to find her son in tears. “I was totally shocked. I couldn’t believe this was happening,” she said. “It was just an empty shell, not even from a real bullet. A sharpened pencil would be more dangerous than this piece of metal.”

“He was so proud to have been given them. His dad’s a veteran, his uncle’s a veteran, both his grandfathers are veterans. Memorial Day is a big thing to us. It’s a very important holiday and we have a big celebration every year,” Ms. Geslak said.

Ms. Geslak, who will be forced to miss work in order to stay home with her son, says she is worried about what having a “weapon-related suspension” on his school record will mean to his future.

To add insult to injury, the family says a school official told them that the shell would not be returned, and that the next step might involve assigning a probation officer to Bradley! Yes, you read that right, a probation officer.

A young boy punished over a harmless souvenir. By any standard, that’s outrageous.

Everyone is worried about everybody else-when all they should be doing is worrying about themselves. We used to be a society that answered to ourselves, now we like to see the downfall of others in order to circumnavigate the real problems which dismay us. Our young are being damaged in their thinking, their respect for others (even their parents) are being questioned in public school. Are they being taught to be patriotic to the nation--the history behind what we are and why we do? It should be blatantly obvious what schools intend to do and their ultimate political affiliation. Lord only knows where the defenders of this once great country will come from next. It's easy to see it won't come from within as our youth are being suppressed and sometimes penalized for thinking as their ancestors. We should all be uppalled and voice our concern rather than being at a loss for words for what is transpiring across our land daily. Act now to recover our future as some have already seen fit to put it in the past. May God bless America for what it was and used to be, and guide us all through the darkness.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    This is rediculous!

Brings up a memory from my high school days.

I took a small handfull of .22 LR rat shot into class one day. I was bored. I peeled back the crimp and took out the shot. I was tossing them at the teacher while she was at the blackboard. Took her a while to figure me out but she did eventually. Took my .22 rat shot away from me and made me move to another seat where she could watch me.

Next year, I brought Dristan Nasal Mist bottles slightly filled with Ronson lighter fluid. Got my buddies together out in the common area, lit a lighter and squirted the fluid up into the air. Made a huge fireball mushroom cloud! Principal saw me through his office window. Took my stash and gave me a paddling.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    Funny how in HS, there are shop classes with saws, screwdrivers, drills, arc welders, and all sorts of dangerous goodies that could be used as weapons, and yet if you're wearing or even drawing a picture of a gun or bullet, you get suspended.

This 0 tolerance BS is really ruining future generations.
    Micky mouse cartoons had mickey using guns... now look what you get with decades of political correctness, stupid is an infection.

If the boy had a condom in his hand along with a Banana to try it out, nothing would have happened...
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

It's evil brass case,that at one time was an evil blank bullet fired in an evil rifle,I think people are amazed at the slippery slope society has been sliding down ever since they crammed the zero tolerance policy down their throats,If it was in force when I was a kid I'd be doing time talking to shrinks trying to figure out why I was drawing pictures of planes and tanks and army guys shooting and blowing stuff up.And look at me I turned out alright according to the other patients
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just in case anyone wants to email their opinion, like I did, here's the name and email address:
    Brooke Clenchy, Superintendent of Schools
    bclenchy@winchendonk12.org
    Lets flood his mailbox
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    ...and these are the people "educating" the next generation?

I am so screwed.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    And people ask me why we homeschooled our daughter?!?

(Note: both my wife and I are former public school teachers from a large state with a lot of coastline; we love being away from that state and their propaganda system.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links