Witnesses: Bank Robbery Suspect Marched Them Into Vault At Gunpoint

This is a discussion on Witnesses: Bank Robbery Suspect Marched Them Into Vault At Gunpoint within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Witnesses: Bank Robbery Suspect Marched Them Into Vault At Gunpoint - News Story - WFTV Orlando ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A woman armed with a ...

Witnesses: Bank Robbery Suspect Marched Them Into Vault At Gunpoint - News Story - WFTV Orlando

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A woman armed with a long rifle forced as many as 15 people into the vault as she tried to rob a Bank of America. She's scheduled to face an Orange County judge, Saturday morning.

SWAT officers and Orange County sheriff's deputies swarmed the Bank of America at 10900 Orangewood Boulevard, (see map) Friday evening.

Deputies say 40-year-old Donna Bynum walked into the bank with a long rifle, or possibly a shotgun and said, "This is a stick-up."

Katlego Mogweta was one of 15-20 people inside when it happened.

"She said, 'Someone must call George Bush,' because George Bush wanted to kill her," said Mogweta.

Customers and employees inside the bank said Bynum put the gun to their backs and took them inside the vault.

"She was capable of doing anything, the way she was swinging the gun and going on," said Tecia Smith, who was also inside.

"(I was) just thinking of my family, my kids, making sure I was hopefully going to get out of there alive," said hostage John Del Vecchio.

Mogwera said she heard Bynum make a very specific and terrifying request.

"She wants black people," said Mogwera. "That's when I got real scared."

Witnesses say managers told her there were none. They say Bynum never explained what she was after. But after making several phone calls, they say she eventually walked out on her own and turned herself in.

When officers arrived, they sealed the area and kept people in nearby stores inside. Some witnesses said they were warned there could possibly be a shootout. Deputies then ordered the woman out of the bank. They said wheb she complied, she left the gun behind.

Aerial video from the scene showed officers with guns drawn storming into the building just before 6pm. They quickly came out again with Bynum in handcuffs. She was put into a squad car and placed under arrest. Authorities said she was working alone.

"It's fairly rare to see a female suspect that's involved in an armed robbery of this nature, with a gun and saying, "'This is a stick up,'" said Jeff Williamson of the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Bynum was taken to Dr. Phillips Hospital for a medical evaluation before heading to the Orange County jail where she was booked on bank robbery charges. Authorities said they plan to add more charges related to the hostages.

Bynum is from Texas and deputies believe she drove to the bank in an SUV they found nearby. They said it appeared she had been living in the vehicle. Bynum wasn't talking to them so they had no idea what her motive might have been.

Two hostages were also taken to the hospital for respiratory problems but were expected to be fine.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    Not good.

Personally, being herded into a back room is where I draw the line on intervening. I'll be a good witness if they are just after property, but when an order to move to the slaughterhouse is given, I am definitely going to draw and engage.

If I am going to be killed in a robbery, it won't be on my knees in the back room. I might be killed, but I'll be in a pile of my own brass, and someone else won't be going to the victory party....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I agree with MattLarson. In this case, there was only one BG and she was making statements that indicated she was mentally unbalanced.

There were 15 sheep and no one armed. They are lucky no one died.

There would have been a couple of seconds where...while she was swinging a shotgun around...you could have drawn and fired.
    There is no way I'm going willingly
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

In Florida, any of those doing business in a bank...could have been legally armed. In my bank, some nut like that who begins ordering everyone into a back room...can't keep an eye on everyone at all times...boom, boom, boom...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yep, don't every let yourself be moved to the kill room. Too many situations like that go bad in the worst way. I would have made a stand.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

VIP Member
    "She said, 'Someone must call George Bush,' because George Bush wanted to kill her," said Mogweta.
    Susan Sarandon in disguise?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links