Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID

This is a discussion on Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by razz Is pepper spray effective against vicious dogs? It can be - and I carry it - but if there's a breeze ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Is pepper spray effective against vicious dogs?
    It can be - and I carry it - but if there's a breeze you're going to have to maneuver yourself so your target is downwind of you. Not very practical when your leg is about to become a meal, and the risk is that you incapacitate yourself.

When I walk my dogs, a Key Defender (OC spray) is in my pocket, and when I am in the vicinity of dogs I think may pose a threat, it's in my weak hand at the ready. I'm mentally prepared to go to the next level of force (the gun on my hip) quickly, if necessary.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AEA View Post
    I am going to buy a paintball gun and in the future use that. I am going to paint them up so that when they get back home the owners will see that if might be wise to keep them on their own property.
    May I suggest pink or maybe a nice mauve or lovely pastels for the paintball gun? I think the humiliation alone would keep the mongrel away for a long time.
    My yard is pretty heavily fortified. Although, I don't think I have to worry about incurring the wrath of Rocky, the chihuahua next door!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

When I lived in Arkansas my sister and brother-in-law lived just outside the city limits and, therefore, outside animal control's jurisdiction. When pet owners no longer want an animal, many of them decide to simply dump it out in the countryside to become someone elses problem. Someone dumped a pitbull mix in my sister's neighborhood. Before long he chewed up one of the neighbor's dogs. My sister and her husband were nervous anytime the stepped out of their house. They were especially scared about the safety of their Yorkshire terrier. We contacted the local animal shelter. They said they didn't have room for one more dog and having him put to sleep would cost us more than $100. We were pretty frustrated. So the dog was caught, tied to a stump and shot. That may sound harsh, but we couldn't come up with any better solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Be ready for the "my poor puppy" and the "My Pitbull would never" crowd.
    Not from me...and I own a pit. The simple fact is that the owners are irresponsible. I have no problem with the guy shooting it. I actually shot someone's mutt last week. Don't know what kind of dog it was, but it came back into my yard snarling and barking at me 2 days in a row and I let it get too close and it bit me once. I shot it on the spot. I live in the "sticks" so there's no point in calling for animal control until after the deed is done because it's going to take them a good 30-40 minutes to get here.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    Can someone explain to me what a dog coming at you in an aggressive manner looks like?
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Texian View Post

That explains it pretty well.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Not to start a fight but....

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I don't like the idea of keeping ANY animal capable of killing you as a house pet. Everyone keeps saying these things are so nice when raised right. So are all the teenagers that snap and kill people. Animals are animals, I don't care how they've been raised. Something can always snap in them and instincts take over. Just ask Sigfreid and Roy.

How many people have been mauled and killed by housecats or teacup chihuahuas? Pretty sure it's none. No way I want a 100-lb pit bull anywhere near me, no matter how docile it "seems".
    The animal that Siegfried and Roy had a problem with may have been raised by them but it's genetics are the same as the ones in the wild, dogs genetics are not.

I have had from German Sheppards to Chihuahuas to Bulldogges and not one has ever been aggressive but the ones that someone allowed to, we just recently got a 3 year old female that was aggressive to other dogs, but now is the friendliest dog to both people and dogs.

I see the dog (pit bull) issue being allot like the gun issue, people don't understand why anyone would want to keep ANYTHING capable of killing someone in your house.....
    The bad side of both guns and dogs is the side most people get to or choose to see.

I believe seriously that most if not all animals have a self preservation instinct as humans, make that animal think you are the meanest thing that ever walked the face of the earth and it will leave. as I see it these problem dogs have become accustom to people being afraid of them and they feed on that, it's a thrill for them. Do them and the rest of us in the dog world a big favor and remove that animal from the gene pool.

That said, as with guns some people should not have dogs and all that do should educate themselves as to how they should properly handle them be it dogs or guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpet475 View Post
    The animal that Siegfried and Roy's had a problem with may have been raised by them but it's genetics are the same as the ones in the wild, dogs genetics are not.

I have had from German Sheppards to Chihuahuas to Bulldogges and not one has ever been aggressive but the ones that someone allowed to, we just recently got a 3 year old female that was aggressive to other dogs, but now is the friendliest dog to both people and dogs.

I see the dog (pit bull) issue being allot like the gun issue, people don't understand why anyone would want to keep ANYTHING capable of killing someone in your house.....
    The bad side of both guns and dogs is the side most people get to or choose to see.

I believe seriously that most if not all animals have a self preservation instinct as humans, make that animal think you are the meanest thing that ever walked the face of the earth and it will leave. as I see it these problem dogs have become accustom to people being afraid of them and they feed on that, it's a thrill for them. Do them and the rest of us in the dog world a big favor and remove that animal from the gene pool.

That said, as with guns some people should not have dogs and all that do should educate themselves as to how they should properly handle them be it dogs or guns.

Difference is, my gun won' get up in the middle of the night and rip my throat out.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Difference is, my gun won' get up in the middle of the night and rip my throat out.
    So all dogs kill?

So all dogs kill?
    Didn't say that. You started comparing animals to inanimate objects. Some animals are more likely to be aggressive than others, but no gun has ever harmed anyone on it's own.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Didn't say that. You started comparing animals to inanimate objects. Some animals are more likely to be aggressive than others, but no gun has ever harmed anyone on it's own.
    No, I compared peoples fear of dogs to the fear of guns.
    In most cases it is unfounded

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Be ready for the "my poor puppy" and the "My Pitbull would never" crowd.
    Not me, I know better than to argue with the Internet experts on Pit Bulls.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

There is an extensive thread on the pit bull issue also running here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...son-carry.html
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

OD*
    Breed-specific laws were enacted because, in the past, courts and legislatures considered it to be a "well-known fact" that pit bulls are "unpredictable," "vicious" creatures owned only by "drug dealers, dog fighters, gang members," or other undesirable members of society. [Citing State v. Anderson (1991), 57 Ohio St.3d 168.] ... As scientific information advances and becomes available, courts have a duty to reconsider issues and make decisions which are supported by the actual evidence presented, instead of relying on "common knowledge" and opinion generated by newspaper sensationalism and hearsay, rather than accurate, scientific evidence. [Par.] As the evidence presented in this case demonstrates, previous cases involving "vicious dog" laws, especially from the late 1980's and early 1990's, relied on what is now outdated information which perpetuated a stereotypical image of pit bulls. ... The trial court noted that all the animal behaviorists from both parties testified that a pit bull, trained and properly socialized like other dogs, would not exhibit any more dangerous characteristics than any other breed of dog. After considering all the evidence before it, the trial court agreed, finding that pit bulls, as a breed, are not more dangerous than other breeds."
    DOG BITE LAW - Dangerous and Vicious Dogs
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

No, I compared peoples fear of dogs to the fear of guns.
    In most cases it is unfounded
    The operative word for dogs is "MOST". NO gun will jump up and shoot someone on it's own.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links