Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID - Page 4

Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID

This is a discussion on Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Kerbouchard Those are bogus statistics and completely irrelevant. I won't argue the 'temperament' score. I'll admit that most poodles are more prone ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Those are bogus statistics and completely irrelevant.

I won't argue the 'temperament' score. I'll admit that most poodles are more prone to bite than a Pit-bull or Rottweiler. I'll even admit that most dog bites are Black Labs.

But, I will say that out of severe or fatal dog bites, the percentage of Rott's and Pit-bull breeds are not even close to proportionate.

If we can say that 100 times as many poodle attacks happen as pit-bull attacks, than there should be 100 times more deaths by poodle than by pit-bull, right? Of course not. That is why your 'temperament statistics' do nothing to convince me that a pit-bull has any business being a family pet.
    We are in complete agreement. I was about to post exactly the same argument concerning those 'temperament' statistics.

Pit bulls are a dangerous breed, period. And the comparison to a gun is ludicrous and serves as a distraction from the real debate. Too many people have been maimed or killed by pit bulls. There is no credible reason why we should tolerate them in society.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    We are in complete agreement. I was about to post exactly the same argument concerning those 'temperament' statistics.

Pit bulls are a dangerous breed, period. And the comparison to a gun is ludicrous and serves as a distraction from the real debate. Too many people have been maimed or killed by pit bulls. There is no credible reason why we should tolerate them in society.

I did NOT compare a dog to a gun, I did how ever compare the fear that uneducated or misinformed people feel towards both!
    Call me crasy but I feel as strongly about my dogs as I do my guns, no one will be taking ether.!

And with that I'm puting myself in time out for the rest of the night, because I don't want to get worked up at the start of the weekend.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Pit bulls are breed for fighting other dogs, not humans.

Keeping that in mind, consider how coon hounds are breed to chase down animals and tear them apart if they don't climb a tree?

How many people are terrified of coon hounds? What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by AEA View Post
    I am going to buy a paintball gun and in the future use that. I am going to paint them up so that when they get back home the owners will see that if might be wise to keep them on their own property.
    I think an electric fence would be a good start.
    followed by your paintball gun, loaded with marbles.

Pretty much an easier to use sling shot. We used this exact setup in the city when I was growing up to deal with stray cats tearing through or garbage cans. Since discharging a firearm is likely to case some paperwork. Out in the country, I'd think a light load from a shotgun with rock salt, or another light shot. Or even a BB gun would be pretty effective at "Attitude Adjustment" assuming a more permanent solution isn't on your agenda.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

A 30 cal carbine works pretty darn good! ask me how I know.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by Carpet475 View Post
    Where I live I can't recall if there has ever been a death by Pit bull.
    I believe Tooele is near where you live. But I guess the fact that the victim didn't die (she saved her child from a fatal attack) doesn't make your above statement false.

http://voice-of-deseret.blogspot.com...y-injured.html

On May 2nd, 2008, KSL Channel 5 reported that a 21-year-old woman in Tooele, Utah was seriously injured when a neighbor's pit bull got out of its yard and attacked her. Sgt. Robert Benson of the Tooele Police Department said, "Fairly serious condition, nothing life-threatening as far as I know, but pretty significant injuries to both her leg and arm."

It appears the dog got out through a hole in the fence. The owners weren't home at the time. The dog was subsequently taken to an animal shelter, where it will be quarantined for 10 days pending a hearing to determine if the dog should be classified as "vicious". Depending on the outcome, the dog will be either put down or allowed to go back home.

As of this post, 103 public comments have been posted to the KSL story. One of those comments was posted by the victim, as follows:

I was the person attacked
    by Megan T. @ 8:17am - Sat May 3rd, 2008

I was the person who was attacked. I don't know if the breed is bad or my neighbor. All I know is I run a day care and four of my little kids were in that yard. The reason I was attacked was because I yanked my two year old son out from under this dog when he knocked him down. HE WAS AFTER MY CHILD. My son was screaming and crying and the dog was after the kill. It doesn't matter what type of dog it was- the story was on the news because it took 60 staples to pull me back together last night. I had to be sedated for the pain. I have four bites on my good arm. My leg is so tore apart I can't walk. It's not the news framing the dog. This dog attacked my fence and literally rammmed it until it broke. Don't blame the news for the story- it's the truth.

I have now asked two separate veternarians in my area what they think of the Pit Bull breed. They both felt, unequivocally, that this was a breed that could attack people with little or no provocation. One said that it was a "loose cannon". While the dog can be gentle and loving to its own family, it can be a terror to those outside its protective group.

These are not my words, but from two trained doctors in animal care. The statistics do seem to bear this out.

I know this thread will probably go on, ad infinitum, with those on both sides of the issue, so I encourage those of you on the "other" side to ask your own vet or other professional what they think of the breed.

That said, I do have a pit bull family next door to me, and the dog generally seems to be playful and friendly while over there, with its own family. However, I would not trust it if it got loose, and would fear for the safety of my dogs and family.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I know this thread will probably go on, ad infinitum, with those on both sides of the issue, so I encourage those of you on the "other" side to ask your own vet or other professional what they think of the breed.
    I agree, because you will get as many different answers from Veterinarians as you do the experts here.
    My Vet is Dr. Valerie Tratnyek, her contact info is;
    Contact Us

She has a completely different opinion of the breed (and she is a trained professional), the American Pit Bull Terrier, not the other breeds that are so often misreported as Pits.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I agree, because you will get as many different answers from Veterinarians as you do the experts here.
    I figured there would be vets on the other side too! Oh well, I guess we will just have to "agree to disagree". Nothing wrong with that... it keeps life interesting.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

OD*
    Sounds good to me, because there are at least 20 breeds that are misidentified as APBTs.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Words to live by shot to kill.Don't let the dog crawl home wounded or you be could be in big trouble.My neighbor shot a dog ,German Shepard that was
    very aggressive he went home hurt and he was charged with cruelty to animals
    and had to pay for the dog even though the dog was attacking his tied up dog.

I l shot and killed one years ago when it came into my front yard and was going after my kids (in Riverside Ca) in that city certain people feel owing a pit ia a badge of honor. thats one of the reasons why l live in Arizona now.
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

You see the media report pit bull attack stories all the time. The witnesses are never questioned about how sure they are that it really was a pit bull. The media just takes their word for it because the name "pit bull" gets peoples attention.

How sure are you as far as identifying a Pit Bull?

Let's say you witnessed a dog attack and you think it's a Pit Bull. You report it to the police and the media that you saw a Pit Bull attack.

Now take this Pit Bull test. Pick the Pit Bull out of these dogs pictured. If you didn't pick the Pit Bull on the first try then you have just fed into the media frenzy of blaming a Pit Bull when it really wasn't a Pit Bull in the first place.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

Just as some are educated about guns from only what they here in the media, there are those that get their education on Pit Bulls from the media also.

The same media that looks for statements like, "the gun had a full magazine and one hollow point in the chamber" are the same people that look for anyone to say, "I think it was a Pit Bull".

They are looking at the shock factor as far as reporting a negative bias toward guns and negative bias toward Pit Bulls.

The media used to flag dogs that were German Shepards, Rotts and Dobermans. Now the media feeding frenzy is on the Pit Bull. Did all these other dogs all of a sudden change? No, the media got bored reporting on those other breeds.

There will be a time in the future when a new dog gets flagged by the media and the Pit Bull will take a back seat just as those other dogs did in the past.

Don't let the media or second hand knowledge be how you judge anyone or anything.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

ok I picked it on first try - where's my prize?

individual animals may vary within the breed - usually in response to their owners - I used to own Rotts and many local vets would not treat them due to fear... YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    You see the media report pit bull attack stories all the time. The witnesses are never questioned about how sure they are that it really was a pit bull. The media just takes their word for it because the name "pit bull" gets peoples attention.

How sure are you as far as identifying a Pit Bull?

Let's say you witnessed a dog attack and you think it's a Pit Bull. You report it to the police and the media that you saw a Pit Bull attack.
    The fact is that the attacking dog is quarantined and either put down or [rarely] returned to the owner after a vicious attack. It is not simply someone reporting a pit bull attack.

Now take this Pit Bull test. Pick the Pit Bull out of these dogs pictured. If you didn't pick the Pit Bull on the first try then you have just fed into the media frenzy of blaming a Pit Bull when it really wasn't a Pit Bull in the first place.
    It really doesn't matter. ANY breed (or mix) that is demonstrably prone to kill or maim humans should never be allowed. Pit bulls are absolutely in that group as the statistics clearly show. The breed should be eradicated. All individual pit bulls should be neutered and breeders should be heavily fined. And the owner should be liable for any damage the dog does as if he did it himself. That would be felony assault for any pit bull attack. And murder one for any death.

It has nothing to do with fear of pit bulls as some argue. It is that these unpredictable dogs kill and maim people.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links