Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID - Page 5

Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID

This is a discussion on Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pit bulls are absolutely in that group as the statistics clearly show. You mean those statistics that happen to support your opinion. Others statistics don't, ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID

OD*
    Pit bulls are absolutely in that group as the statistics clearly show.
    You mean those statistics that happen to support your opinion. Others statistics don't, but those are bogus.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

The Amstaff, or American Staffordshire Terrier, or the American Pitt Bull Terrier, is not the problem. Depending on who is looking at it, they are all the same breed, or can be different breeds. The breed may have years ago before it was brought to this country been bred for fighting, but until the recent surge in ownership some 20 years ago, was simply a family pet.

It is the owners and breeders that are the problem. Does anyone here think that Cesar Millan's (the dog whisperer) pitt bull would attack them. I have been attempted to be bitten by many more labs, and great danes (those are not fun to have coming at you froma close distance) than I have by pitt bull dogs. We had a pitt bull dog for a while, he followed us home while walking our other dogs. He was just a pup, maybe 6 months old. It took 2 weeks before we could touch him, I assume someone had beaten the heck out of him. He was a good dog, but as he got older, we had problems with him and the dog in my avitar fighting. Not with him and people. We decided that one had to go. Farron stayed.

BTW, many more people were afraid of the dog/wolf in my avitar at 125lbs than they were of any pitt bull that I have seen. The only person that Farron ever bit, or attempted to bite, was me, on accident when I had to get a bone that was lodged between his teeth when it sheared at both ends. He realized it was my finger instead of the bone, and stopped, no blood was drawn.

The animals, regardless of breed, are not the problem, it is the owners and or breeders.

Would I hesitate to shoot a dog, of any species if I thought it was a threat to someone, absolutely not. However, if it is a 10lb ankle bitter it will probably just get kicked like a football. If it is something that I can't handle that way, then a bullet may be the answer.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

OD*
    The absolute truth is always the first casualty of these endless debates based solely on emotions.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    The fact is that the attacking dog is quarantined and either put down or [rarely] returned to the owner after a vicious attack. It is not simply someone reporting a pit bull attack.

It really doesn't matter. ANY breed (or mix) that is demonstrably prone to kill or maim humans should never be allowed. Pit bulls are absolutely in that group as the statistics clearly show. The breed should be eradicated. All individual pit bulls should be neutered and breeders should be heavily fined. And the owner should be liable for any damage the dog does as if he did it himself. That would be felony assault for any pit bull attack. And murder one for any death.

It has nothing to do with fear of pit bulls as some argue. It is that these unpredictable dogs kill and maim people.
    I could make the same argument with half our population of PEOPLE.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

We are in complete agreement. I was about to post exactly the same argument concerning those 'temperament' statistics.

Pit bulls are a dangerous breed, period. And the comparison to a gun is ludicrous and serves as a distraction from the real debate. Too many people have been maimed or killed by pit bulls. There is no credible reason why we should tolerate them in society.

The fact is that the attacking dog is quarantined and either put down or [rarely] returned to the owner after a vicious attack. It is not simply someone reporting a pit bull attack.

It really doesn't matter. ANY breed (or mix) that is demonstrably prone to kill or maim humans should never be allowed. Pit bulls are absolutely in that group as the statistics clearly show. The breed should be eradicated. All individual pit bulls should be neutered and breeders should be heavily fined. And the owner should be liable for any damage the dog does as if he did it himself. That would be felony assault for any pit bull attack. And murder one for any death.

It has nothing to do with fear of pit bulls as some argue. It is that these unpredictable dogs kill and maim people.
    I see, the "statistics" only count if you think they should?

Just FYI I'm not a big fan of pits, and we completely agree on in the aspect that the owner should be liable for any damage the dog does as if they have done it themselves. That would make all the dummies that buy a dog accountable for what they do by not training or not having there dog trained then letting it lose to cause these problems that we keep seeing.
    I just know that "eradicating" Pits will do absolutely NO good, stupid people will get another dog that "looks mean" and this debate will then be over that breed. You can't fix stupid.

A properly trained and socialized dog is completely predictable.

I believe Tooele is near where you live. But I guess the fact that the victim didn't die (she saved her child from a fatal attack) doesn't make your above statement false.

Voice Of Deseret: Tooele, Utah Woman Seriously Injured, Required 60 Staples On Her Leg After Neighbor's Pit Bull Gets Out Of Its Yard And Attacks Her
    That just happened, can you forgive me for not knowing about it.

I just recently finished building and moving in to a new house and haven't had time to hook up the TV, so I don't get all the "News".
    Last edited by Carpet475; June 9th, 2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: to remove the word "by" that was missplaced

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Words to live by shot to kill.Don't let the dog crawl home wounded or you be could be in big trouble.My neighbor shot a dog ,German Shepard that was
    very aggressive he went home hurt and he was charged with cruelty to animals
    and had to pay for the dog even though the dog was attacking his tied up dog.

You've never heard a reporter say, "Witnesses say the dog was a Pit Bull."?

The media really doesn't want to wait for the official word. They want the scoop.

The truth is Pit Bulls were breed and trained to fight other dogs. Since humans are in the ring with the dog when they fight the dog is trained to NOT harm a human.

To assume because they are trained to fight dogs means they will kill people too because of their breeding and training you would be wrong.

You sound like those that are against guns and believe in gun control.

Unless you have first hand info about Pit Bulls to base your opinion on then I will just look at your opinion as I do with the people who want to make gun control laws that have a fear for guns and have never even owned one.

Your opinion is just your best guess based on misinformation on the subject.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

WHY & WHICH dog breeds bite and kill most frequently can be a difficult topic to completely evaluate for several reasons. Here's a decent read on the data and its limitations. Look at the charts but for a better understanding read the text too ... most folks just look at statistics and think they know it all.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf

I agree with The Dog Whisperer, it's mostly not the dog, it is how they are socialized to people and other animals. That's the owner's responsibility. Like 44 Mags and up, BIG assertive DOGS are not for everyone and can require physical strength, determined and knowledgable, patient training to socialize/master.

I trained German Shepard Dogs ... about one out of 20 or so will vigorously try to dominate the owner trainer and all situations .. most dogs will to some extent and will definitely do so if the owner is too tolerant or ineffective. These unsocialized dogs are usually a problem .. regardless the size. Once socialized BTW virtually all dogs can be wonderful companions and pets. Again ... the big aggressive breeds require more commitment, time, energy and knowledge or they can (not ''will'') become dangerous.

Edit-- Socialization and Training are not the same.

An unsocialized trained dog who will sit come stay roll over could bite the crap out of you.

A socialized dog has learned how to calmly behave around other humans and animals. A socialized dog will not bite the crap out of anyone in a normal situation.... easy to train too.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

I really don't care what any stats say. Any dog comes in my yard that is not supposed to be there, and it will be disposed of. That especially goes for pits.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I worry about this as well as one of my neighbors (some hoodies) have 2 pitbulls that are always getting loose & one of them seems quite aggressive. I & other neighbors have called on these doge numerous times & animal control has fined them but they continue to get loose. One day the the brown one (lessor aggressor) scared me when i was working in garage with my 1 year old son & all the sudden the dog appeared w/in 6 feet of my little boy. Luckily he ran when i advanced him yelling but i dont think the black dog would do the same. Now if we have our baby outside we must be armed as i WILL put that damn dog down if i have too & the wife will as well. I just wish they'd get rid of them.........
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    I worry about this as well as one of my neighbors (some hoodies) have 2 pitbulls that are always getting loose & one of them seems quite aggressive. I & other neighbors have called on these doge numerous times & animal control has fined them but they continue to get loose. One day the the brown one (lessor aggressor) scared me when i was working in garage with my 1 year old son & all the sudden the dog appeared w/in 6 feet of my little boy. Luckily he ran when i advanced him yelling but i dont think the black dog would do the same. Now if we have our baby outside we must be armed as i WILL put that damn dog down if i have too & the wife will as well. I just wish they'd get rid of them.........
    Lets see how close I get to describing how your neighbors and there dogs act. The dogs if kept in the house are let out to "go potty" for hours at a time, then the neighbors when feels like it they open the door and yells, the dog if they bother to look just continue to do what ever it was doing. The neighbors gets mad and very defensive when asked to control his dogs, tells you to keep your kids in the house or back yard if you are scared of his dogs.......... I could go on and on, these people are the problem and should not be allowed to own dogs.

It's not faire to the dog but, it has been allowed to become a problem, and I see nothing wrong with ending a problem.
    Last edited by Carpet475; June 8th, 2008 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I really don't care what any stats say. Any dog comes in my yard that is not supposed to be there, and it will be disposed of. That especially goes for pits.
    I completely agree, except that the dog will be shown the door first if it is not endangering anything.

I've used 'avoidance therapy' several times ... worked every time. Pepper spray, a bicycle pump wack on the head, 22 blank round.

Never used on my canine classroom students tho'.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    You have more restraint then me. I would have already put it down. Either a gun, a forceful call to the authorities. There is no way I would put up with that.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Carpet475 View Post
    I see, the "statistics" only count if you think they should?

Just FYI I'm not a big fan of pits, and we completely agree on in the aspect that the owner should be liable for any damage the dog does as if they have done it themselves. That would make all the dummies that buy a dog accountable for what they do by not training or not having there dog trained then letting it lose to cause these problems that we keep seeing.
    I just know that "eradicating" Pits will do absolutely NO good, stupid people will get another dog that "looks mean" and this debate will then be over that breed. You can't fix stupid.

A properly trained and socialized dog is completely predictable.

That just happened, can you forgive me for not knowing about it.

I just recently finished building and moving in to a new house and haven't had time to hook up the TV, so I don't get all the "News".
    Your bolded section has got to be both the funniest and most truthful post in the whole thread...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Yet Another Unprovoked Pit Bull Attack

Blotter: Pit bulls reportedly attack Chihuahua, maul its owner | Denton Record-Chronicle | News for Denton County, Texas | Local News

Animal services officers seized two pit bull terriers after they killed a Chihuahua and attacked its owner Saturday afternoon, according to a police report.

The owner said he was sitting at his front door in his wheelchair while his 11-year-old son took out their Chihuahua, Lucky, about 4:50 p.m. Two pit bulls ran up the driveway, attacked the Chihuahua and killed it, the owner said.

He feared the dogs would attack his son, and he got down the steps and grabbed the dogs while his son ran into the house. The dogs bit him on the hands and arms and flung him around between them, according to the police report.

The manís wife called 911 and turned a water hose on the dogs, enabling her husband to get away from them.

Responding officers reported when they arrived that a man was walking away from the house with the dogs.

They stopped the man, who told them that his pit bulls, Bull and Dixie, escaped from his backyard fence without him noticing. The officers called animal services, and officers from that department seized the dogs.

The victim was taken to a local hospital and transferred to another hospital for testing for internal injuries, according to the police report.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links