Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID

This is a discussion on Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man shoots, kills aggressive pit bull | KTVB.COM | Idaho News BOISE - Police say a Boise man shot a pit bull with a shotgun ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Man Kills Agressive Pit Bull - Boise, ID

Man shoots, kills aggressive pit bull | KTVB.COM | Idaho News

BOISE - Police say a Boise man shot a pit bull with a shotgun after the man says the animal was being threatening towards him.

It happened on the 2700 block of Westland Place in Boise near Ustick and Cole roads.

Officers say Dave Davies called police just before 8 p.m., saying his neighbor’s pit bull was being aggressive toward him. Two minutes later Davies called back and said he shot the dog.

Davies said he was outside working on his motorcycle when the dog jumped a fence and came toward him in an “aggressive” manner. When Davies was inside calling police, he grabbed his shotgun.

Police say he went back outside and shot the animal. Boise Police Lt. Ron Winegar said the man may have a warranted defense.

Dave Davies explains what happened to police Thursday night.

"We would never advocate it happening within the city limits in this kind of a neighborhood can be very dangerous,” Winegar said. “At the same time, depending on the circumstances, we always have the right to defend ourselves."

Davies says he has reported the pit bull in the past and said he was told he has the right to defend himself on his property if an animal is being aggressive.

Other neighbors said they have not had problems with the animal.

The dog’s owner was not at home at the time of the incident.
    Mr. Davies could have stayed in his house and let animal control take care of it, but he did have a right to be on his property, and the dog did not.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Ah...very close to home.

I would have done the same.

My next door neighbor best keep that in mind too if he doesn't want to find his 2 pitbulls dead.
    Glock 19

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreen View Post
    Ah...very close to home.

I would have done the same.

My next door neighbor best keep that in mind too if he doesn't want to find his 2 pitbulls dead.
    I live in the Country on a small 1 acre. Other neighbors have 1 acre lots as well and some of them have Dogs, including pit bulls, that they allow to roam off their property. I have caught several in my yard several times and on two occasions I have shot at them with my pistol to run them off my property. I did not shoot to hit, only "near" them to scare them away. It works and they take off quickly.

I am going to buy a paintball gun and in the future use that. I am going to paint them up so that when they get back home the owners will see that if might be wise to keep them on their own property.

Don't get me wrong. I like Dogs. I would have one myself if I had a fence and could take care of it responsibly. These neighbors do not have any idea (or care) how to own a Dog responsibly. I do not want any Dogs coming into my yard and doing their "business" there. If I wanted Dog "business" in my yard, I would have my own dog to make it.

Yesterday must have been the day for pit bulls to get shot and make the news.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...upid-ugly.html
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...make-call.html

The facts of the story:

-pit bull
    -being aggressive
    -outside working on his motorcycle
    -dog jumped a fence
    -reported the pit bull in the past
    - right to defend himself on his property if an animal is being aggressive.

I think the guy did the right thing! And I imagine animal control and the cops think so too.

Having formerly lived next to white trash neighbors for way too long, these individuals would randomly bring home pit bulls or other vicious type dogs.
    Of course they didn't control them. Two pit bulls cornered my husband in OUR garage one night. Another time, a very large dog cornered him against our house. I handed him out his handgun while I had the Sheriff's Dept. on the phone. Dispatcher told us he could shoot the dog if he felt threatened.

People have the right to feel safe in their own yards. If the neighbors can't control their dogs, well then, the home owner/tenant has the right to defend themselves.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

I too live in the country where we all have acreage. We try not to bother the LEOs with animal problems, we jut take care of them ourself. Good fences make good neighbors. You can try less than lethal tactics first, you may consider giving the neighbors a call and let them know about it or send them a certified letter so that they are on notice.

I shot a pit with rat shot the day after he bit through my boot while he was fighting with my dog in our front yard. He was not attacking me, I was breaking up their fight. I called the owner and said I just shot your dog with rat shot, he is okay but might have some pellets in him. That dog has not come into my yard again.

If my dog causes trouble in someone else's yard then I would expect the same thing.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Be ready for the "my poor puppy" and the "My Pitbull would never" crowd.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    "Animal Control" means something different to city people than it does to us.

We have no agency that controls animals.There is no such thing around here.

When we talk of "animal control", it assumes the use of a gun and an animal that is no longer a problem and will never be again.

If you called the cops around here, they would tell you to handle it yourself.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

pepper spray

Is pepper spray effective against vicious dogs?

I've known it to fail.
    It does work most of the time.
    I understand a formulation called HALT! used by mail carriers is about the best for dogs.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Senior Moderator
    Is pepper spray effective against vicious dogs?
    Sure. They love it. Its like adding Tabasco sauce to the meat. They salivate just thinking about it...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I don't like the idea of keeping ANY animal capable of killing you as a house pet. Everyone keeps saying these things are so nice when raised right. So are all the teenagers that snap and kill people. Animals are animals, I don't care how they've been raised. Something can always snap in them and instincts take over. Just ask Sigfreid and Roy.

How many people have been mauled and killed by housecats or teacup chihuahuas? Pretty sure it's none. No way I want a 100-lb pit bull anywhere near me, no matter how docile it "seems".

Senior Moderator
    How many people have been mauled and killed by housecats or teacup chihuahuas? Pretty sure it's none.
    I got mauled by a tomcat once. I pulled him from the inside of a trashcan, and for some reason he didnt appreciate it. He attacked my hand, ran up my arm and launched himself from my head, never to be seen again.

At least I think thats what happened. I never actually saw it because it was a blur. All I know was that he drew lots of blood and my arm looked like it got caught in a meat grinder.At work I told everyone I got my tail kicked by a cat.
    I caught a lot of flack for that one...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

At least you weren't killed or lost an arm when it went berserk! Can't say the same when that "docile" pit bull turns on you.

Can someone explain to me what a dog coming at you in an aggressive manner looks like?

When I walk my dogs I'm always having these small dogs that people just let out in the front yard come at us. The owners think it's cute that their little dog is acting like a big dog as it comes toward us.

Do I have the right to shoot their dog or should I check to see if it is a Pitbull first? That seems to be the justification to shoot a dog now adays.

I guess "man shoots jack russell" won't make the headlines.

One of these days they won't think it's so cute when my black lab takes a chunk out of their dog.

Since I walk my dogs on a leash and we are in the street they won't have a legal leg to stand on. The loose dog will aways lose the legal battle.

Some owners have to learn the hard way.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links