Man Kills Agressive Bear In His Backyard - Henderson County, NC

This is a discussion on Man Kills Agressive Bear In His Backyard - Henderson County, NC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man shoots bear in backyard | Serving Henderson, Transylvania and Polk Counties | North Carolina | BlueRidgeNow.com David Jenkins woke Wednesday morning to the barking ...

Thread: Man Kills Agressive Bear In His Backyard - Henderson County, NC

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Man shoots bear in backyard | Serving Henderson, Transylvania and Polk Counties | North Carolina | BlueRidgeNow.com

David Jenkins woke Wednesday morning to the barking of his dog, Sammy. He soon discovered the cause of the commotion — a black bear in the backyard of his Henderson County home.

Jenkins said he grabbed his shotgun for protection. He told his wife to stay in the house as he went to try to scare the bear and rescue his dog.

“The bear was standing up on his hind legs and I knew it was going to kill my dog. ... I had to do something,” Jenkins said.

After an attempt to scare off the bear failed, Jenkins said he knew he had to protect his dog and himself.

So Jenkins fired his shotgun in the direction of the bear. The shot hit the bear.

“The bear started to wander off and I didn’t want to leave a wounded bear wandering around the neighborhood,” he said. “So I followed the bear and shot him again.”

Jenkins said he immediately alerted the local game warden about what happened. He said a biologist came to his house first and extracted a tooth from the bear to determine its age.

Jenkins said the black bear was about 2 years old. It weighed about 250 pounds, he said.

“When the game warden arrived he said that I was fully justified in the shooting because I had attempted to scare the bear away before firing my first shot,” he said. “It was a very unfortunate situation.”

Times-News efforts to contact Henderson County authorities with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission were unsuccessful Thursday.

Jenkins said he has never seen a bear in his neighborhood off Howard Gap Road, though he has seen deer, coyote and wild turkeys.

“I was scared to death of the thing,” he said.
    Too bad the bear didn't take off when Mr. Jenkins tried to scare it away. He did the right thing by finishing the bear so that it didn't suffer needlessly from the first shot.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

My only concern are statements like this:
    When the game warden arrived he said that I was fully justified in the shooting because I had attempted to scare the bear away before firing my first shot,” he said. “It was a very unfortunate situation.”
    So...if the bear's attacking you you're supposed to try to scare it away first? WTH?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    The way I read that, the man wasn't in danger from the bear, his dog was. He was trying to stop the bear from getting at his dog. If the bear was coming at the man, I don't imagine he would have to try and scare it off first.

OMO
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Fish & Wildlife...dumb presumptions...

Homeowner...smart move...no problem with what he did...I'd do the same...

Stay armed...protect the home...stay stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    +1 for finishing off the bear, a wounded animal can be especially dangerous.

sure , sure... we believe ya... sure we do. Rather than take the kid inside..... he goes inside for his gun ? Give me a break, he wanted to bag a bear.

"So Jenkins fired his shotgun in the direction of the bear. The shot hit the bear."

When you shoot in the direction of an object, aren't you trying to hit it? Anyways, 250# of bearmeat does help the grocery bill.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

A 2 year old black bear does not weigh 250 pounds, unless it's been slopping at a hi cal hog trough most of its life.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Boo bang bang bang bang bang,I tried to skeered him first
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Army22rpr View Post
    "

? Anyways, 250# of bearmeat does help the grocery bill.
    Aaarrrgghhh...Have you ever tasted bear meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Army22rpr View Post
    "So Jenkins fired his shotgun in the direction of the bear. The shot hit the bear."

When you shoot in the direction of an object, aren't you trying to hit it? Anyways, 250# of bearmeat does help the grocery bill.
    EXACTLY what I thought when reading the OP!!

Either he wasn't sure just how to operate that bang stick, or he IS very sure of what to say to the authorities....

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    A standing bear is either trying to establish dominance or see what is going on, depending on who you believe. I have not had any luck scaring bears by shooting near them, in fact, they look downright annoyed at the noise. At least the ones dumb enough to be near the house were.

The ones I was hunting acted like they were equiped with anti-grav and reactionless drives when I missed.

Sponsored Links